Halloween/ Fall Celebrations- What are YOU doing?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Beezus, Oct 18, 2008.

1. Beezus

Beezus Cohort

Oct 18, 2008

this is my favorite time of year!!
    Just wondering what you are planning to do for Halloween in YOUR classroom!

3. janlee

janlee Devotee

Oct 18, 2008

As a culmination of my Social Studies unit that talks about traditions and heritage and in connection with United Nations Day, I hold an international feast day. I ask parents to make a food that is from the country of their child's ancestors. I usually get about 15 different foods. It's wonderful to see how many of the students will try dishes that they normally wouldn't taste at all.

4. xmasqueen

xmasqueen Rookie

Oct 18, 2008

We don't do anything. lol I do give them a treat bag and some cookies and punch usually, but this year our Fall Carnival is on Halloween so they will already be full of goodies from that. I thought about giving them their treat the day before to kind of divide it up.

5. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Oct 19, 2008

Steve Spangler's "Spooky Halloween Science", reading spooky stories around a "campfire", and pumpkinology in math class. We also make our celebration into a lunch. Also, our school has a costume parade. It is a WONDERFUL, simply wonderful time.

6. adellesmama

adellesmama Companion

Oct 26, 2008

We're not allowed to do any "art for the sake of art" as my principal put it (sigh...but it's understandable with the more academic focus in school these days), so I had my kids make haunted fact family houses and spiders with eight different names (facts) for the number assigned to them. The kids had a lot of fun, and it was worthwhile academically :) I'm also planning on doing some Halloween/fall writing prompts this week in Language Arts.

I really like the idea about reading spooky stories around a "campfire"...so I'm stealing it, Ms. Jasztal :D Thanks for the idea!

7. Beezus

Beezus Cohort

Oct 26, 2008

Oooh! that sounds like fun! Can you describe the haunted houses and spiders a bit more?!

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 26, 2008

Giving a math test!!!

(keep in mind: these kids are 14 years old. It's been 2 weeks since their last test and it's a full period day, so they're due.)

edited to add: Wait! I forgot!!! I DO have stickers for those tests. Pictures of Jack O Lanterns with the saying "Mrs. A. thinks my algebra grade is a real TREAT!!!"

9. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Oct 26, 2008

I have little ones, 4 year olds. While I love celebrating with them, parties make me crazy! I like to go more low key. We are not allowed to give out food as part of our wellness policy, so that takes care of that.

Our cafeteria lady is so cute, she is planning on making homemade snack mix of cheerios, black raisins, and orange cheeto-but-healthier-type-things for them, which I will play up as their special Halloween snack. We will read a fun Halloween story, and I have 2 parent volunteers coming in to help us do centers. All fun Halloween centers- memory game matching monster mictures, "punkin chunkin" bean bag toss into big coffee cans painted like pumpkins, making shapely masks using paper plates popsicle sticks and foam shapes, and decorating a pumpkin or something like that from Michaels. Lots of fun, but not too crazy. They will be hyper enough as it is!

10. soflgal

soflgal Companion

Oct 26, 2008

We are doing pumpkin math.

11. adellesmama

adellesmama Companion

Oct 26, 2008

Sure. :D I thought that this was a really worthwhile project!

I gave the kids a blank fact family "house" that had two of the three related numbers from a fact family on the triangular part of the house, and then they had to figure out the third number in the fact family and also in the "windows" of the house, they had to write down the four facts (two addition, two subtraction) that can be made with those numbers. After I checked their houses for accuracy...

They then traced a rectangle pattern onto a piece of construction paper, a triangle pattern on another piece of paper, and four windows. They glued all that down, making little flaps to paste the windows down so that they could open up. Underneath, they wrote little ghosts with their facts written on them. On the triangular part of the house, they wrote the three numbers from their fact family. Then, they were allowed to use construction paper scraps or crayons/markers/whatever to decorate their house and make it look haunted...this was fun because some of them got really into it.

As for the spiders, it was a little simpler. I used a Scholastic reproducible graphic that has a body separate legs that are supposed to be glued on. I assigned each student a number (for the higher ability kids, I gave a number that was more challenging like 30, and for the lower ability kids, I gave a number that was easier like 7), which they placed on the body of their spider. They they had to come up with four addition facts and four subtraction facts that would equal that number/name that number (i.e. a spider with 14 on its body might have 7+7, 6+8, 14+0, 13 +1, 18-4, 20-6, 15-1, and 14-0 on its legs). They wrote those facts on the spider's legs and then got to color the spiders in however they wanted to...had some creative kiddos who made rainbow spiders :p

I will take a photo this week and try to post it on here (if I can figure that out...lol).

12. adellesmama

adellesmama Companion

Oct 26, 2008

:lol: I love your sticker idea :)

13. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 26, 2008

The kids get SUCH a kick out of them!!! I do snowmen (Mrs. A. thinks my Algebra grade is COOL) and a zillion other themes.

14. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Oct 26, 2008

This is only semi on topic. I wanted to say what I did YESTERDAY with my oldest (14 year old). He took his scaredy cat mom to an amusement park with the teen center. I went through the first haunted house and I grabbed his jacked and held on for dear life. It was a wonder his feet were still on the ground. Then, I'm ashamed to admit (LMBO) that every time someone jumped in front of us, I literally threw him around in front of the person like a human shield. He tried to bang me up against a corner at one point to dislodge me but I wasn't having none of that. It was pitch black and I would never have found him again. One of his friends was hanging onto me much the same way. I found out my hood has a zipper because the kid "ripped" it right off. He told me his friends kept pushing him and telling him to go first too. I let him go into the second haunted house with just his friends and I agreed to meet up with him in 45 minutes while I cooled down with some shopping. What he neglected to tell me about the whole event was that the WHOLE park was dark with fog machines, strobe lights, etc and people were dressed up and jumping out randomly. EEKKK!!! We finished the night relaxed in the stores, which were well lit.

15. Beezus

Beezus Cohort

Oct 26, 2008

Okay-- let me see if I understand... first they did the fact family house on just a plain white sheet of paper.
    THEN- basically, the house is put together with the total & partners on the triangular part of the house. The fact equations are written on the ghosts which are place under the windows (flaps).
    Sound right??

16. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Oct 26, 2008

Where do you get these??