Halloween candy math

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by cindy lou, Oct 25, 2005.

1. cindy lou

cindy lou Rookie

Oct 25, 2005

I am trying to find a Math activity for my class to do on Halloween. Our new principal is down-playing the whole "party thing" but I would still like to make the day special with different activities. I used to do the activities with "Dem Bones" but cannot find them anywhere this year. Any ideas out there using another type of candy? Printable worksheets would help, but I can always make up my own. Thanks!

3. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Oct 25, 2005

I don't know if you can get anything from Enchanted Learning.com, but they have a work sheet that you use to count and color different candy.
    You can have a small canister and have it full of M&M's let them guess how many are in there, the clossest one wins the jar. Or do the M&M graphing, color You could set them in groups, give each a couple of small bags of M&Ms, let them chart the colors, then at the end divide equally among group members. Or you could do a candy sort. Or you could have a trivia day and the winner of each question recieves a small candy.(or a spelling word or math problem). Have them play store, let them use play money to buy candy to learn how to add coins. Have them see how many candy bars tall they are or how many small candies tall is a pumpkin or so on, or use a small scale to compare weights of different candy like how many bubble gum pieces does it take to weigh the same as a sucker? (have them guess first)

4. happyteach

happyteach Rookie

Oct 25, 2005

We do Pumpkin math. We have the kids estimate how much the pumpkin weighs, how many seeds inside, how many inches around (diameter) and how tall. I try to give one small pumpkin per group to do this so everyone has a turn. Just pre cut the pumpkin open. Then after they estimate they actually weigh, count the seeds, and measure the pumpkin. The kids have a ball! Just make a record sheet with cute clip art on it and most important don't forget the camera! The faces of them touching the seeds is priceless!

5. belovedrebel

belovedrebel Rookie

Oct 25, 2005

Happyteach, that is the coolest and cutest idea! I am going to have to steal that when I have a classroom!

6. ctopher

ctopher Comrade

Oct 26, 2005

I have a sheet from an old mailbox magazine about using candy corn to measure. You could easily make your own sheet with lines and cute pictures etc.

You could also have students use those marshamallow pumpkins (the ones that are made out of the stuff like candy corn) to make up their own story problems. Like there were 5 pumpkins in the patch.......we carved 3. How many are left? You could use as many numbers or operations as you wanted based on the level of your students.

7. 1stferg

1stferg Comrade

Oct 26, 2005

Give each child a sheet of green paper. Draw a really big moster face as you demonstrate it on the board. Make eyes and nose, then a very large open mouth. Use candy corn for the teeth. Do several addition and subtraction problems moving the corn on and off the paper. When you are almost finished let the children eat the corn as you subtract it. My kids always love this.

8. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Oct 26, 2005

Could you put a bowl of candy in the middle (I don't know how your class is set-up) & sort by different objectives...like bags, singles, gum, suckers.

Graph fav candy, costumes, parents (mom/dad) that came.

9. gigi

gigi Groupie

Oct 26, 2005

10. AtoZAdmin

AtoZAdmin Forum Administrator

Oct 26, 2005

11. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Oct 28, 2005

When the student wins the prize, have them share with the rest of the class. That way everyone is a winner because they tried. Students must say Thank You and tell the winner they were a good guesser or something positive. "Glad you picked the closest number" "You are Good" "Thanks for sharing" and etc. This will help build self esteem.