Halloween activities?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by stampin'teacher, Oct 1, 2011.

1. stampin'teacher

stampin'teacher Cohort

Oct 1, 2011

I am stumped on what to do for Halloween this year. As I've said in threads before, I teach 4th grade but am new to my school, so things are different, and I am working all year on revamping the curriculum.

At my old school, my co-teacher and I created this awesome scavenger hunt where students would work in groups to find bones for their skeleton. I WISH I could do it this year, but I can't buy all the different skeleton bones (not in schools/my budget), and I can't have them on their own trekking through the school (my old school had a giant field and plenty of space for them to romp).

I want it to be fun, and to get parents involved somehow...any ideas? I'd love to stay away from printables, worksheets, etc.

Any cool Halloween science experiments, maybe? Thanks!!

3. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Oct 2, 2011

I don't have any good ideas just yet. Bumping you up.

4. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Oct 2, 2011

We can't do anything Halloween, but we do a Pumpkin Day. I ask parents to donate big pumpkins. I ask for about 5 or 6 and for parents to come in and help. In groups, we do various activities with the pumpkins - measuring, weighing, see if it floats, predict how many seeds, and finally they decide on a simple face and the parent carves the pumpkin.
    Parents are asked to bring in pumpkin items the kids can taste. We do a graph out of favorite pumpkin foods.
    We play Roll a Pumpkin.

5. bondo

bondo Cohort

Oct 4, 2011

Lynnn725 - These ideas are excellent. I am always trying to look for ways to increase parent participation and these should definitely help. Thanks for sharing.

6. Mama P

Mama P Rookie

Oct 7, 2011

What exactly is roll the pumpkin?

7. AZMrs.S

AZMrs.S Cohort

Oct 7, 2011

I was wondering that too, Mama P :)

8. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Oct 8, 2011

If it's like what I've done before, you measure how far you can roll the pumpkin. I've done it with plastice Easter eggs before.

I can't do anything for Halloween. I'm going to see if I can do a Science activity where we investigate the pumpkin.

9. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Oct 9, 2011