Hallelujah Moment!!!!

Discussion in 'High School' started by hopefulnovice, Jan 3, 2009.

1. hopefulnovice

hopefulnovice Rookie

Jan 3, 2009

Please let me share it with you :p

I found a great WebQuest activity for Western Civ. on Rome Unit: http://www.bootz.us/bbenoit/Rome.htm

God bless the teacher who created this. It's awesome, especially the PBS simulation games. My kids will love it.

I also watched the whole 5 parts of "Rome: Power and Glory" documentary by Questar, Inc. I found it in my local library and after watching it and taking notes I feel like I can teach about Rome.:)

I feel so much better! Hope this helps someone else as well.

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 3, 2009

I'm so glad you found the resources you needed!!!

4. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Jan 3, 2009

Another source to look at for you is college Western Civ books.

5. Doug_HSTeach_07

Doug_HSTeach_07 Comrade

Jan 3, 2009

Agreed. I will be teaching Sociology this semester and haven't taught it before. I took one look at the sociology textbook from 1988 and realized that just wasn't going to cut it. I bought a college text off amazon for 4 bucks (an old edition) and have been reading it ever since. It goes so much more in depth than that HS stuff, which reads more like a social problems course.

6. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Jan 3, 2009

In my office there is a whole bookshelf full of college level History texts! Are you going to bother even assigning the textbooks then?

7. Doug_HSTeach_07

Doug_HSTeach_07 Comrade

Jan 3, 2009

I assigned textbooks for my US history classes, but we have used them twice this year. For sociology, I'll probably hand out the textbooks because they do have some good projects and studies that I'm going to have the kids do.

But yeah- the HS soc textbook that they gave me mentions Marx twice. Now imagine that- one of the founders of Sociology and you only mention the guy 2 times? that's why I went with the other book- the college one - and it is awesome!

What college-level history texts do you have? I have "Civilization in the West" by Kishlansky that I really enjoy.

8. Doug_HSTeach_07

Doug_HSTeach_07 Comrade

Jan 3, 2009

I would love to browse your office and history department and pillage the place! I think you told me once that you just had a planning day with other history teachers creating simulations, projects, activities, and so on. If I ever got a day like that I'd think I'd died and went to heaven.

9. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Jan 4, 2009

This is what we do during our summer in-service days and our professional days. Other departments go see speakers we do this!

In regards to textbooks, I am currently reading something by Zinn I am not sure the name. One thing I often do is create readings using the college level texts, giving credit to them of course.

10. tchrsher

tchrsher New Member

Jan 14, 2009

Hello,
    Sorry if I seem to have abandoned you. In a nut shell, my father is dying of brain cancer and I am in crisis mode. For right now I will not be able to do much more than care for my family situation and prepare my final exams and classes. If things settle down I will get more information to you.

11. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jan 14, 2009

:hugs: tchrsher. I will keep your dad, you, and your family in my prayers.