Halftime Teaching Advice

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by 1stgradeteach, May 20, 2009.

1. 1stgradeteach

1stgradeteach New Member

May 20, 2009

I am wondering if anyone out there has taught halftime. If you have is there any chance that you did it by splitting the week instead of the day? If so, how did it work? I am going halftime next year but want to split by the week instead of the day and I am not convincing the higher ups. Please let me know if you have any advice. Thanks so much!

3. flyingmickey

flyingmickey Rookie

May 20, 2009

This year I taught grade three with a fourty / sixty split. My partner taught Mon - Wed and I taught Thursday & Friday. I can't imagine having to split the day - what's the point?
    We did some class work daily and we each taught our own subjects. I focused on writing, socials, music and certain sections of math including geometry. We both did reading and spelling.
    We use the same basic management plan although I'm sure we do it differently. The kids have no trouble with the change in teachers and we had a few kids with behaviour issues.
    If I had to get up and get ready for work every day then I would want to get paid for the whole day.

4. kacieann

kacieann Companion

May 20, 2009

We have a part time teacher at my school that works Monday, Wednesday, and 1/2 day on Friday.

5. 1stgradeteach

1stgradeteach New Member

May 24, 2009

Thank you so much! I agree completely!! What grade did you teach this year? How did your principal feel about the arrangement?

6. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

May 24, 2009

All the job share teachers at our school do 2 1/2 days a week. M, Tues, and Wed. morning or Wed afternoon and all day Thurs. and Friday. I don't know the particulars other than that and they communicate well and have detailed lesson plans and just pick up where the other left off.

One team is going to change next year. Teacher A will do M,T,W one week and then just M,T the following week. So the time overall will still be 50% but they won't be doing half days. Does that make any sense at all? That team has been working together for a few years.

7. teacherpippi

teacherpippi Habitué

May 24, 2009

In one school I was in, the Kindergarten teachers were both halftime. One taught M, W and every other Friday and the other T, Th and every other Friday.

8. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

May 24, 2009

Be careful- here you do not get a full year towards your retirement experience (60% only gets 60% of a year etc). Something to think about if you are planning on retiring sometime soon.

9. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

May 24, 2009

In my grade level (2nd/3rd multiage), there are three classes out of seven that jobshare. Two have one teacher M-TH and the sharing teacher on Friday only. The Friday teachers spend most of the day on Science, so the M-TH teachers don't teach science.

The other share has one teacher M-W and the other Th-F.

The principal is absolutely supportive of the arrangements. I think a daily transition between teachers would be more disruptive to the students.

10. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

May 24, 2009

I did third grade Mon., Tues., and every other Friday. My partner taught Wed., Thurs., and every other Friday. It was great!

11. Irma

Irma Companion

May 25, 2009

I taught 5, 1/2 days and like the idea of teaching 2 full days instead. It was very stressful to get done with things at a 1/2 day schedule and always seemed like meetings were scheduled and I had to stay...it was madness.