Half-Day Assignments

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by MzQualified, Mar 5, 2009.

1. MzQualified

MzQualified Comrade

Mar 5, 2009

How often do you accept them? or Do you try to steer clear of half-days? or Do you just take whatever you can get?

Just wanted to know your thoughts on them, as I've heard alot of people say that they hate them and never accept them. I usually just take whatever I see when I sign on to our sub system..

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 5, 2009

I never take half day assignments. Mainly because the pay wouldn't be worth it after putting my child in daycare.

4. MzQualified

MzQualified Comrade

Mar 5, 2009

Yeah STG, that's a reasonable decision.

5. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Mar 5, 2009

I don't ever take half day jobs. Half a day is only half the pay.

6. MzQualified

MzQualified Comrade

Mar 5, 2009

LOL@ Glendall....True, oh so True!! But if subbing jobs for that week have been hard to find, then sometimes I will go ahead and accept the job. Just so I can say that yes, I subbed more than once that week....lol

7. MrsHoot

MrsHoot Comrade

Mar 5, 2009

I take them... sometimes it's nice to be able to sleep in or have Friday afternoons off! Also-- in the districts I work in it's usually MORE than half of what I would make for a full day. It's also nice because sometimes I'm scheduled for one half day, and they will need me to stay for someone else for the other half. And then I get two half day's pay which is 20 dollars more than just a regular full day.

Sorry that was long and complicated!! I have become pickier about what I take because we need the money and because there are a lot of jobs available for subbing with the districts that I am signed up with.

8. adventuresofJ

adventuresofJ Comrade

Mar 5, 2009

I used to take them - money is money. If i can leave early or sleep in.. yay! Most of the time I had a half day it ended up being two half day before 10 am (as it they needed me for someone else in the afternoon)

9. love2sub

love2sub Rookie

Mar 5, 2009

I love half days!! I can get other things done and still get a little cash.

10. sunshine*inc

sunshine*inc Cohort

Mar 5, 2009

I only accept half-day assignments the day of because I don't have many days in which I don't have an assignment. If I see a half-day assignment for an upcomming day I will not accept it in hopes of getting a full-day assignment.

11. SoReady2Teach

SoReady2Teach Comrade

Mar 5, 2009

I accept them if the choice of full days isn't that great or if I need to catch up on schoolwork. Sometimes the half days work out because I'll get asked to stay for a full day.

12. fratermus

fratermus Companion

Mar 6, 2009

I'll take 1/2 if there are no wholes available. Or if it's a school I want to see. Or if it's a good school.

About 50% of the time on half days I get offered more hours once I get there, so they often turn into full day pay.

Sunshine's logic makes sense; don't take the gig that might block a fullday slot.