Half A Year Down, What I've Noticed

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by NJSocialStudies, Dec 21, 2011.

1. tired.mom

tired.mom Companion

Dec 31, 2011

My district was a "good" district according to state test-taking statistics--rural/suburban, though, and I doubt a single teacher would buy a home due to higher real estate prices...most of our faculty were married, with spouses who made quite a bit more (generally--not in all cases).

FWIW, I'm not a younger teacher...mid-40s, with children and I still decided to pursue greener pastures. I have a variety of work experience outside of teaching and I felt myself getting horribly burned out so much that I felt it was time to move on. Some of it was admin, some "high-test-scores-at-all-costs" (which I, as an educator, do not embrace--more to education than a multiple choice test) and frustration with poor management of resources. My kids love our schools, however, so I will stay here. :)

2. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Dec 31, 2011

I've been teaching 7 years and I've seen an increase in competition among teachers due to budget cuts and fear of losing a job. As long as you focus on doing the best that you can don't worry about what other teachers do or don’t' do. That's been my attitude. I have teachers these days watching what time I come in and what time I leave and making comments about extra things I choose to do. I even had an older tenured teacher threaten me to stop tutoring my students for free after school because it made them look bad. I meant no disrespect but I just couldn't help to laugh at her as she failed to be intimidating.

I also had another teacher called me a bad mother during a meeting because I would stay after school to tutor while I waited for my daughter to get out school. I never realized teachers would be so intimidated by my work ethic and I didn't even work that many long extra hours as other teachers do.

This attitude has paid off for me in different ways. I’ve been offered jobs when no one was hiring and I was even offered a promotion. Believe me, administrators will notice and they want to keep good teachers.

As far as principals, I can see how principals can come across as money hungry and I've had my share of bad principals after working in 3 different schools. My current principal is the best I’ve had so far and I’ve known him from before he became principal. Even like this, I noticed that if he can get work from me for free, he's not going to offer to pay. He has a budget to manage and he's going to set his priorities. For example, I teach an advanced math class to 8th graders after school. This class brings prestige to the school because not many elementary schools teach it but the work load is heavier than a regular after school program. The principal knows how important this class if for me so he has been paying me about $15 less per hour than he offers other teachers to teach other after school programs. He even paid more to some teachers so that they can join a book club after school. I felt much unappreciated. I’m not sure if I’m going to continue teaching it if the pay is not the same but I’m learning to stand for myself.

I also come from non-teaching field and the community feeling is felt less in teaching because we spent much of our time in the classrooms or we are busy with teaching duties.

Sorry if this is long.

3. tired.mom

tired.mom Companion

Dec 31, 2011

I agree with this; I also have noticed that, teaching in middle and high school, that some teachers tend to pick up behaviors found among their students...while MANY people I worked with were wonderful, we had some that were catty, vindictive and back-stabbing. Can't speak for all schools, but this was much more common than any other workplace I have been a part of.

I don't miss that, in the least. I wonder if some of that comes from the isolation--you're with people and adults, true, but most of the work day is spent with 13-year-olds.....

4. LUCHopefulTeach

LUCHopefulTeach Habitué

Dec 31, 2011

There is very much so an increased competitive nature between teachers. In all reality, I would say that a large number of teachers feel such a pressure to keep their job- which I am guilty of as well, I have the ulcers to prove it- that they have started to cheat, lie, steal, and throw others under the bus- which I am not guilty of.

I recently got into a discussion at the Christmas party with a teacher who flat out told me that she didn't like how friendly my principal is with me ("I mean she jokes with you, tells you about her children and husband... Come on!") and how I clearly was being favored because I got a SmartBoard.