Haitian Students

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by QueenB, Aug 26, 2007.

1. QueenB

QueenB Rookie

Aug 26, 2007

Hello all. I am new to the school I'm teaching at and there is a large Haitian population. Is anyone familiar with certain Haitian customs they could share with me? The other day one of my little boys who does not speak hardly any English came to me at the begining of the day and kissed me on the back of my hand. I think this is a good thing - a way of greeting? Are there any suggestions of things that I could do to make them feel more comfortable in my classroom? Thanks!

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 26, 2007

I'm not familiar with Haitian customs but I would definitely think that a kiss on the hand is a good thing. Treat him with kindness and compassion as you would any student with an understanding that everything is going to be new and perhaps stressful for him. He will learn to speak
    English though his desires to interact with youand his classmates. Enjoy him!!

Do you have ESL/ELL support in your school? :love:

4. QueenB

QueenB Rookie

Aug 26, 2007

Oh yes, we have plenty of support and a couple of para's who speak haitian-creole. Just wanted a little bit of insight from others.

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 26, 2007

To make some incredibly broad generalizations:

The Haitan kids tend to be very respectful of authority. The parents hold education and educators in very high regard. They tend to parent very strictly as well... the Haitan kids I know have the earlier curfews and the most discipline.

6. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 26, 2007

Children may be reticent to make eye contact with others because it is seen as more respectful to avert the eyes.

7. Ms Z

Ms Z Companion

Aug 28, 2007

My family is from the west indies, they take education very seriously..:mellow: just to let you know the boy who kissed your hand might just have a crush on you.:blush: . you have to set the tone in your room just like they were any other set of kids. kissing is not something special that they do ..:wub: the only things I can tell you is that they might be a little harsher in the way they speak because they dont fully understand the way Americans have voice patterns.
    I also speak a little of their language they might look at you like your crazy when you say some things cause it will sound backwards to them.. (just while they adjust)
    I hoped I helped:p

8. alielizadubois

alielizadubois Companion

Sep 1, 2007

I don't know anything about Haitian Culture, but I just have to say that I commend you for doing your research. It is imperative that teachers educate themselves about the cultures of their students. I am proud of us who make the effort in order to best serve our students.

Bravo.

Spread the word.

9. dumbdiety

dumbdiety Comrade

Sep 2, 2007

I had a Haitan student last year and worked with many of them when I was in SoFla. I'd have to agree with Aliceacc, parents regard education and teaching highly and are very discipline oriented. Do try to be careful with discipline on your end, however. I've seen where a small matter at school is a big one at home. A kid in high school (big ole' kid that could knock me over by looking at me) was visibly cowed when his Mom came to pick him up, and she was like 4.5 feet and as thin as my pinky!