Hair Straightening Oils

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by SportsFanTr, Aug 4, 2013.

1. SportsFanTr

SportsFanTr Companion

Aug 4, 2013

I have very thick, naturally wavy/semi-curly hair that drives me bonkers. I used to hate straightening my hair because it took forever and never really looked that great unless I just came out of the salon. Recently I bought an HSI professional grade styler (for a super-deal on Amazon) and wow - I can straighten my entire head in about 20 minutes and it looks great.

The only problem is my hair is already getting a bit dry. I tried looking at different straightening oils on Amazon, but I thought I'd ask here if anyone recommends any type in particular?

3. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Aug 4, 2013

I have naturally curly hair and use John Frieda serum when I straighten my hair. I also do a coconut oil scalp treatment a couple of times a month. I apply the heated oil to my scalp, work it through to the ends, and sleep in it. It's very messy but its made a big difference in how soft my hair is now.

4. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Aug 4, 2013

My hair is very wavy at the roots and the rest is extremely curly (ringlets) and tends to be on the drier side. When I want my hair straight, I use an In-Styler (it works wonders and the ions make my hair shinier).

I separate my hair into sections and comb one small section, spritz on some "ion straightening solution" (comes in a white bottle with an orange top. you buy it at sally's beauty supply store)

I really like it because it protects your hair from the heat and makes it have sheen.

It cost $7.79 unless you have a Sally's beauty card (they are 5 bucks for a year) in which case it's $6.99

I use tea tree oil on my scalp to moisturize it and prevent dandruff. I also avoid shampoos that have sulfate because they are supposed to be drying.

the main way you can tell a shampoo doesn't have sulfate if the label is confusing is that it doesn't lather much. it's a weird sensation at first, but i noticed my hair looked healthier and stopped being so dry when I avoided the sulfate, so I got used to it.

5. SportsFanTr

SportsFanTr Companion

Aug 4, 2013

Thanks to you both! I actually have some of that John Freida because I use it to prevent frizz when it's really humid here. I'll try it next time.

I've never been in a Sally's, somehow I thought you had to be a professional to go in there... I'll have to google and see if there's any around me.

6. bison

bison Habitué

Aug 4, 2013

Always always use a heat protectant! Going without is a big no-no. I use a Tresemme heat tamer spray when my hair is air drying or before I blow dry (few bucks at Target or a drug store). I've found that it helps prevent split-ends when I use it regularly. Then I always use a bit of a serum if I'm using my straightener. Enjoy and Bumble & Bumble are brands that I like, but really almost any smoothing/protectant serum will do fine. A good conditioner is important too, and hopefully you're not washing your hair every single day. My hair doesn't really feel damaged as long as I do all the above and blow dry as infrequently as possible. When it used to, occasionally I'd put in lots of coconut oil and let it soak in there for a while before showering.

7. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Aug 4, 2013

Do you use pure tree tea oil or a product that has the oil in it? It has such a strong smell. Does it wash out well?

8. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Aug 4, 2013

YES!!! My mom has been wetting her (much straighter) hair with water for years before she curls it and the sizzling has fried her hair making it dry and unruly in some places. I keep telling her to use a heat protector and she's like, "Water has worked just fine for me all these years". Then she complains about how her hair doesn't hold a curl "like it used to":rolleyes:

YES again! When I wear my hair straight, I wash it once a week in the winter, and in summer maybe every 2 days. To avoid putting so much heat on my hair I don't blow dry. After I wash it, I spritz it with "Moisturizing Hair Milk" by SheaRadiance (spraying extra on my ends) then I let me hair air dry for a couple hours before I straighten it. My hair looks and feels drier to me even when I go to a salon and they blow dry AND straighten.

The Shea Radiance moisture milk has tea tree and other great oils in it. I can't find the original bottle of tea tree oil that I used, but I think it was by Hollywood Beauty.

It does have a somewhat strong smell, but I find when I put it on my scalp and not my strands that hang down, it's not too bad.

The way I apply it is with a hair color bottle (I bought an empty one for like $1 at Sally's beauty). After putting the oil into the bottle, I part my hair into 4 big sections (two in front, two in back) and I gently squeeze the oil from the bottle onto my parts and massage the oil into my head a little.

The only is a little heavy, so it helps my roots look and feel soft and stay straight. I hate having wavy roots and bone straight hair.

I wash my hair with a clarifying shampoo, so it doesn't seem to cause any build up.

9. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Aug 4, 2013

I'm prepared for the collective gasps...I have not washed my hair with shampoo in about a year. Yes, really. I follow a method of care commonly referred to to "Curly Girl," named after a book by the same name. I do sometimes wash my hair with baking soda and a vinegar rinse. I'm sharing this because my hair completely changed. It took about 2 months, but wow, such a difference. My hair is much softer and the curl pattern evened out. Have you ever looked into it?

The basic premise: most shampoos have a detergent called sodium laureth sulphate, which strips your hair of natural oils. To combat this, a lot of products for curly hair have silicones. Problem is, they aren't water-soluble, which means you must use sodium laureth sulphate to remove the silicones that get trapped in your hair shaft, which doesn't allow the hair's natural oils to keep the cuticle flat. The cycle continues.

I'm not trying to be preachy, just sharing my own experience :)

10. bison

bison Habitué

Aug 4, 2013

Omg... this made me cringe. WATER? Ahhh. I should have also said to NEVER touch your hair with any kind of straightener or curling iron if it's wet at all, but I thought that was a given. Good way to fry your hair.

I'm not gasping! I'm familiar with no 'poo and curly girl. If my hair was just a little bit curlier, I'd go that route. I've already tried to do no 'poo over short period but I just don't think I'm made for it. It's supposed to be great for lots of people.

11. SportsFanTr

SportsFanTr Companion

Aug 4, 2013

Pisces, I will look into that in the future. I go through mental stages of hair - short hair, long hari, curly hair, straight hair... right now I'm in a straight hair mode.

I wash mine probably 3 times a week, if I go more than 3 days between washes it gets really oily. I definitely know to use a protectant because I don't want fried hair.

Now for my "shock" for most people: I don't own a blow dryer. I hate them with a passion and cannot use one without my hair becoming a frizz bomb or basically an afro.

12. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Aug 5, 2013

I don't own a blow dryer either, but I do have a diffuser which I use in emergencies (like it's 30 degrees outside and I have to leave the house in 20 minutes) because my hair takes FOREVER to dry.

If I put absolutely no product on it, it'll be dry in about 1.5 - 2 hours. If I do a light spritz of a moisturizing detangler and put a little Argan oil on the ends of my hair, then comb it through, it can take anywhere from 3 to 4 hours and it's still not completely dry.

I think it has to do with the pores of your hair. My girlfriend's hair is much much thicker than mine and once asked me to help her make it curlier like mine. So I brought my products over and she took a shower so her hair and was wet and honestly, by the time she walked from the shower to her bedroom and sat down, most of her hair was almost dry. We kept having to re-wet it!

I wish my hair was like that.

Also, I've tried the "no poo" but I don't like it because I tend to use a lot of products when I'm wearing my hair "curly" to keep my curls looking shiny and moisturized, so I'm afraid that without shampoo I'll get a build up.

It bothers me too! My mom has a lot of common sense, except for when it comes to this one thing. Her hot curlers always burn out faster than mine and get build up (kinda like burn marks i guess) on the barrel of her hot curlers.

I think Mom's thought process is "I can't use a heat protector because my hair is so straight and fine. If I spritz Catz protector (which is a light oil) it'll make my hair greasy and it'll look even more unruly."

We've gone over this repeatedly and mom always says she'll try it, then the next time I go over, she's running her fingers under the water and wetting her hair. :dizzy:

13. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Aug 5, 2013

I tried going no poo a few times with no luck. I would make it a week and quit. Then I hear about making your own gel from flax seeds, which rinses with water. Last summer, it became a little 'science project' for me. I figured out the right combinations of ingredients for me. I can make a batch very quickly now, and I save lots of money ;)

14. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Aug 5, 2013

One of my girlfriends tried it a couple times, but I don't think it worked too well for her because she stopped using it and started with another product.

Does it hold curls well without that crunchy feel and can you store it, or do you make a fresh batch each time? I might give it a shot if it works well for you.

15. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 5, 2013

A friend of mine uses BioSilk...I tried it at the beach last week...definitely helped smooth the beach frizz.

16. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Aug 5, 2013

I can make about 6 3 oz bottles in a batch. I keep a few in the fridge and freeze the others. It rots within 48 hours if you keep it out :( That's the only issue I have with it; traveling can be tricky if there's no fridge! It has great hold, but you have to let it dry 100% before "scrunching out the crunch." There's really not much crunchiness once it's dry.

I have had a lot of people ask me for the recipe, so I typed it up on Word. Anyone is free to PM me their email and I'll be happy to send it.

17. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 5, 2013

My mom told me to get some coconut oil. It's great for hair (& skin). I know trader Joe's has it.

Also, that aragon oil has been the rage lately.