Hair removal (ladies only!)

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by WaterfallLady, Jun 5, 2012.

1. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Jun 5, 2012

I have a little problem. I am going on vacation somewhere warm, and for some reason, I can't shave standing up, nor do I want to shave on vacation. I refuse to sit on the floor of a hotel bathroom, too. So I'm looking for a way to keep my leg hair away for at least a week.

Sometimes with shaving, I get ingrown hairs, and I have a 5:00 shadow on my legs by noon! So, the hair will grow back too fast.

I tried waxing one time and I ended up literally stuck to my bathtub. I was going to find a spa to do it, but there aren't any places nearby that do it. It also seems really expensive. has anyone had success with at home waxing?

I also thought about epilation.

How long does Nair last?

So, I'm looking for the most effective, longest lasting way to keep hair off my legs.

3. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Jun 5, 2012

how about sitting on a towel in the tub to shave or resting your foot on the tub while standing? I use the intuition built in soap kind of razors....they work well!

4. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jun 5, 2012

It is a bit pricey, but getting a professional wax can really be worth it. Maybe call and see if they have an specials going on?

I've never had any success with home waxing.

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 5, 2012

I'd be too scared to do in home waxing!! My pain tolerance for the unknown is horrible so I would probably get it stuck on and be too afraid to pull it off. I agree with Peachy, call around to see if they have any specials going on.

6. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jun 5, 2012

I have very pale skin and black hair, so I have to shave every day. I can shave standing up in my own shower, but not in a hotel shower. Weird, I know. I sit on a folded towel on the edge of the tub and shave that way.

My skin is very sensitive. I had severe chemical burns from Nair, and it was even the sensitive skin version. I had a similar, but less severe, reaction to a component of the salon wax as well.

7. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jun 6, 2012

Why not sit on the side of the tub to shave? I put a couple inches of water in the tub and sit on the side to shave. Prop your foot up on the opposite side to shave. I use this method when I don't have time for a full bath/shower. I hate shaving standing up too.

8. Ms_C

Ms_C Comrade

Jun 6, 2012

If you have one in your area, I recommend European Wax Center. There prices are reasonable and they are the only ones I trust with my eyebrows anymore. I had a bad experience at a hair studio and I ended up walking around with this surprised look on my face because the girl really didn't know what she was doing.