Hair- how much do you spend on yours?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Hoot Owl, Jan 12, 2009.

1. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jan 12, 2009

I found a stylist that will highlight and lowlight for $65 and does a fab-U job. I've paid as much as $200 before.

2. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jan 12, 2009

But no shave?

3. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jan 12, 2009

Hey I empty his razor every morning for him, I'm not heartless... he can shave!!! LOL!!!

4. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Jan 12, 2009

DizneeTeachR

I've thought about buying clippers as well. But my husband doesn't get his head buzzed, he does on the sides but then on the top she cuts with scissors...do you do this with your husband? I'm afraid I'll make him look funny if I try, haha.

5. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jan 12, 2009

Nope he's is pretty much all buzzed at the same length. It's pretty easy. I was a little nervous at first, but it wasn't hard.

Hubby used to have that same kinda hair cut then just kept going shorter.

6. elizak83

elizak83 Companion

Jan 12, 2009

My mom's a hairdresser by profession...so I have a reallllllllllllllllllllly hard time going somewhere to get my hair cut/ colored. I usually do a cut then a color w/ a highlight and a lowlight...around here that is not cheap. So what I do is get my hair cut around here (about 50-75 bucks.) Then when I go visit my Mom (a 5 hour drive) I have her do the color (free:))
    She even gets annoyed that I go and get my hair cut...but shhhh don't tell her...I like it when other ppl cut my hair because she likes to do it the way she wants it:) She's good w/ the color though...but she's not as adventurous as I am when it comes to the cut:)

I'm going to visit this weekend since we have a 4 day weekend..I'm thinking I'm going to do a new color..I just don't know what yet:)

7. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jan 12, 2009

Eliza... I had an aunt that was good at perms & stuff but I didn't want her near me with scissors!!!

My cousin that does my hair now is GREAT!! She does only a little unless I tell her to do more or if I ask her what she thinks. She is so understanding. Of course I was her "dummy" before & when she was in "beauty" school. Oh I think my ears still have scars. She would come trim my hair & comb my ear & I said EARS. She'd say sorry our mannequins don't have ears!! LOL!!!

8. reverie

reverie Companion

Jan 12, 2009

Me too! I have to wash it every day, sometimes I do it twice if I'm going somewhere nice later.

9. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jan 12, 2009

$0!
    I have 2 cousins who do hair, and an aunt. I have never paid for a haircut! My one cousin does it now. If I just get it cut, I don't pay her at all. If I get highlights or lowlights, I will give her $25-30 to cover the costs and it is usually a battle to get her to accept it. I typically get it done 3 or 4 times a year. I usually grow my hair out and donate it to Locks of Love every May. I didn't last year because I kept my hair shorter than normal. But, my hair grows fast and I have a ton of it, so I can usually do it once a year!

10. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jan 12, 2009

I posted before I read the whole thread.
    I, too, only get my hair done in Michigan :) It is where my family is. So, Winter Break, Spring Break, early summer and late summer is when I get it done :lol:

11. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Jan 12, 2009

So what exactly are LOW LIGHTS???

I've heard of HIGH LIGHTS...so I'm thinking the LOW LIGHTS are underneath?

12. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jan 12, 2009

No! :lol: Same concept, just darker than your natural hair. My hair has naturally lightened over the past 5 or so years. Add in the light highlights I got 6 months ago and I hated it. So, I have a lowlight which is just a shade or 2 darker than my natural color and I am much happier :) You really don't see it unless you look really close because it blends so well!

13. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jan 12, 2009

Same here. I had a hair dresser who told me that I shouldn't be washing my hair everyday. So, I tried it. I skipped my regular hair wash... oh man, was my hair oily!!!!! I really can't skip. My hair is so fine and so oily that it's a mess by the end of the day. Luckily, I have super short hair. I spend about $30 on my cut. I have spent more, and didn't get much better. BTW: I've started getting the Katie Holmes haircut style. It's totally cute! :D

14. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jan 12, 2009

I am Italian- so I have super greasy hair. It is thick, so it doesn't get stringy, just oily looking. I have learned that if I pull it up, I can go for 2 days it I do it just right. My cousin yells at me for washing every day, too. But, she is not from my Italian side, therefore, can not relate!!!
    I want to buy dry shampoo, but I don't ever have the extra money (powder shampoo).

15. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jan 12, 2009

I have to wash my hair every freaking day. It's so greasy that, if we could figure out how to refine it, we could solve the energy crisis. I also have dandruff problems...go figure. I use Head and Shoulders shampoo and conditioner. They make a "moist" line that helps keep my long curly hair from drying out at the ends and matting really badly. I also use fructris hair serum on days when I leave it down. I dye it myself for about $20 (it takes several bottles because my hair is THICK as well as long).

The lady that cuts my hair jokes around about my "once a year" hair cut. I'm not that bad...it's usually twice a year :D. She works at the Hair Cuttery now, so I get an amazing cut for $15 and since I don't go very often I splurge for a blow out, so the entire bill comes to about $60 with tip.

16. Teacher_Lyn

Teacher_Lyn Companion

Jan 13, 2009

It's by a company called "Kinky Curly". You can purchase their products directly from the website http://www.kinky-curly.com/ OR you can go to www.naturallycurly.com and buy them from there.

I think they're a few bucks cheaper on naturallycurly.com.

Even though it has "kinky" in it, the products are for anyone with curly hair, not just African Americans.

17. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jan 13, 2009

You & Jem... I'm telling ya Michigan must be the hair Mecca!!! LOL!!! :haha:

18. Teacher_Lyn

Teacher_Lyn Companion

Jan 13, 2009

And here I thought it was just the Coney Island Capital (Gram lives in Detriot and I always gain like 5 lbs just from eating at Coney Island so much. the loose meat hamburger is sooooooooooooo good. mmm...!):wub:

19. Teacher_Lyn

Teacher_Lyn Companion

Jan 13, 2009

When MY hair is so dry that (as my Mom puts it) it looks like a sheep's behind I envy your oily headed ladies out there! :lol:

Sometimes us drier headed peps need to wash our hair more frequently (ie: when we sweat it in from an intense workout), but to do so, causes dryness which is awful.

20. DallasTeacher

DallasTeacher Companion

Jan 13, 2009

Low lights are when they add darkness to your hair. I;m a natural blonde but my hair bleaches out in the sun during the summer. I pay big bucks to have color added back, I also have my hair highlighted every 3 or so months (except during the summer) so that the new growth blends in better.

Cost to me $200.00 or so, plus tip, plus birthday/Christmas present

I get my hair cut every 6 weeks. I think I have a bargin because my guy is charging a lot of folks $300 - 350 for highlights/lowlights. He only works on one person and it takes him approximately 4 hours for a wash/cut/high/lowlights/blow out. I don't think 200 is bad at all.

21. MuggleBug

MuggleBug Companion

Jan 13, 2009

I get my hair cut every 4-6 months (would get it trimmed more often if I had the extra cash) and it's about $35 for just the cut. I'm growing it out now for my wedding though I so very badly want to cut it again. My hair dresser gave me such a cute, layered cut in November and it looked so fun and bouncy but now that it's growing out it's just looking flat and boring again!

22. Suburban Gal

Suburban Gal (formerly Elizabeth) Banned

Jan 13, 2009

I tend to have my hair cut every 6 to 8 weeks and I keep it under $20. $13.95 + tax and tip for a shampoo and cut. $16.95 + tax and tip for a shampoo, cut, and blow dry. I go to the SmartStyle's in the Wal-Marts. Runs about the same if I go to Great Clips. Both are good places to go and are quite affordable too!

23. dr.gator

dr.gator Comrade

Jan 13, 2009

Okay...$45 every five weeks for a color, cut, and blow dry with a style. I worked with a girl fresh out of college who insisted that I was overdoing it on what I spent on my hair. I live in a college town and her idea of a good cut was to go in to one of the walk in salons on university avenue and get one of their $5 cuts. They still do that if you have a student id and are willing to take whoever, and it is just a basic cut. The girl didn't look too bad. My comeback to her $5 cut line was "honey live long enough and you'll understand why I invest so much in my hair style."

24. MrsWbee

MrsWbee Companion

Jan 13, 2009

For full color and 2 different highlights, a cut, blowdry, and style.... about $85-90 before tip. I wouldn't go to anyone else than my stylist. I didn't do anything to it at all during the year I lived in CO because I didn't trust anyone but her to touch it, lol!

Man, I just realized how good I have it reading some of these other prices!!!

25. becky

becky Enthusiast

Jan 13, 2009

I have reddish highlights!