Hair Help PLEASE!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by Starista, Apr 9, 2006.

1. Starista

Starista Cohort

Apr 9, 2006

:love: Good Sunday Morning to All! :)

Hello!! I am a 5th year 1st grade teacher from the So. Florida area and simply adore these forums! :)

Anyways ~ last February school vacation I decided it would be a good idea (a $160.00 idea) to permanently dye my brown hair a reddish auburn. Well! Now the roots are growing in (very attractive! :cool: ) and I realize I do not have the money to upkeep hair dye! :) I want to dye my hair back to its original color of darkish brown. So! Do I fork over the big bucks again to have it done in the salon? Or do I go to the CVS/Walgreens and buy a box of Loreal for $11.00 and hope for the best? I have NEVER dyed my hair before this time so I am totally clueless as the best thing to do!

Thank you to all! :love:

3. Play to Learn

Play to Learn Comrade

Apr 9, 2006

I would go to the solon all the extra chemicals could make your hair even worse. Go to a good solon though. Even a salon could burn your hair. I would ask around for someone to recommend. There is nothing worse than burned hair. Good Luck. And Welcome to the Site. I love it too.

4. Lesley

Lesley Habitué

Apr 9, 2006

Go to a salon!! I tried the box stuff, it destroys your hair, dries it out terribly and with summer around the corner, you want it in good shape to handle the heat. I had a salon dye mine back to normal color---never again, I'll just go with what God gave me! But do find a good salon.

5. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Apr 9, 2006

Honestly I don't trust myself to do my hair so I go to a salon. If you aren't comfortable doing your own hair then find a good place and have them do it. I trust my stylist and have sent many friends to her. Ask around and see what friends say.

6. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Apr 9, 2006

Usually salons in south Florida don't charge that much for a single-process color. Even great salons. Where are you, Starista?

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 9, 2006

Starista- I have been using box hair color for years and DO NOT hve damaged hair. Buy one of the higher priced name brands. (Loreal is a good one) and follow the directions. Do the spot test before coloring (usually this involves coloring just a small patch of your hair to see how color takes before you commit to the whole head!!) If all comes out well on the test, then follow directions for root touch up. If you have a friend who does her own color that would be a good support the first time through. good luck.

8. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Apr 9, 2006

When I color my hair I do it at home. I use the Garnier box (with the fruit conditioner) and have never had a problem with it. (Except when I bought 50 instead of 60 and had "streetwalker red" hair!:rolleyes:) I can't afford the beauty shop everytime I want it colored. It's usually only $35, but being single, that's a big chunk of change.

9. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Apr 9, 2006

I'd trust a salon, especially to color OVER other color. I tried to color over chunky caramel highlights. My hair is naturally VERY dark brown, and even though I chose a shade at least two shades lighter than my natural hair, it was BLACK. And I mean FLAT BLACK. I'm very pale, and I looked . . . well, dead. (That was back before the Goth scene was popular, or I would have fit right in.)

10. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Apr 9, 2006

For those who are dying to cover the gray, how often do you have to dye your hair? My roots show up in just 3 weeks and I am soooooooo sick of dealing with it, I'm ready to just go completely gray!

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 9, 2006

Grammy - what shampoos are you using? Use a better brand which is labeled 'for colored hair'. I also do not blow dry (I wash at night). There are other products (Fancifull is one brand) which are rinses to put thrugh your hair a few times per week to preserve color.

12. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Apr 9, 2006

I'm glad I'm blonde.........any grays I get can't be seen very well. I do get highlights and lowlights every eight weeks or so, just to "perk" up my hair a bit. I wouldn't do it on my own. I'd rather pay to make sure it comes out ok, don't trust myself.

13. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Apr 9, 2006

czacza, I use the shampoos for colored hair...and never blow dry(wash it at night) I'm really at my wits end trying to find the answer. All I can think of is that my hair grows grows sooooo fast, the roots show in just a few weeks.
    Kinder, I've had it done professionally and they made me look so unnatural ... just hated it. AT least when I do it, I miss a few strand here and there to make it look natural!

14. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Apr 9, 2006

I am coloring to cover grays, but I don't have a lot of them. I get sprigs in my crown. I color very close to my natural color and color about once every 4 or 5 months. My hair does grow very quickly, but with the coloring and the time I spend outside it tends to blend very well.

15. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Apr 9, 2006

I would go to a salon for a color change...just in case.

I have hair from you know where. At the salon and at home, I get my hair colored medium brown and after thirty minutes in the sun, I have reddish brown hair. It wouldn't be so bad if the roots around my double crown on the back of my head wasn't a dark brown and reddish brown roots everywhere else.

If that wasn't enough of a hair curse, besides the double crown, I have a scar from falling out of my mom's car backwards when I was "helping" to bring in groceries when I was two and bonked my head on the curb, two cowlicks- one in the front, and one in the back, straight hair on the top, and very curly hair on the bottom layers. It's hard to find a cut that is managable!!!!

16. diro.pams

diro.pams Companion

Apr 9, 2006

Mine grows out in 3 wks too. It seems as soon as my gray took over, my hair grew faster!!! I use Fanciful, which is a leave in color after every wash. Fanciful helps me span the time until 6wks is up. I can't give in to gray, yet. It would really add to my aging process.

I do my own hair color. My beautician graciously tells me what to buy, color, peroxide %, ect. I go to the beauty supply to buy it. The people at the beauty supply are very good at answering questions.

17. AZKinderTchr

AZKinderTchr Comrade

Apr 9, 2006

I dye my own hair every 6-8 weeks and have been doing it for a couple of years. My hair stylist actually recommended it b/c she knew I was having a hard time affording her $180 cut and color! Her advice to me was as long as I don't overprocess (follow the directions closely and don't dye too often) that putting color in is no big deal. The danger comes when you strip color out or bleach. Good luck.

18. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Apr 9, 2006

Hi diro...yea I don't want to give into the gray because it wouldn't be a pretty gray color...it would be white. It would wash all the color out of my face! So, I will continue to color it...I am 54. Maybe I'll try the leave in color.

19. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Apr 9, 2006

AZKinder... I wish I could even make it a month before coloring again! My hair is very dark and the the roots show up quickly...very white right smack on top of my head where the part is. I have difficult hair. It is natural curly and won't cooperate in general, so that doesn't help!

20. AZKinderTchr

AZKinderTchr Comrade

Apr 9, 2006

Grammy -- I hear ya, I am only 30 and I dye my hair b/c I have to. I have quite a bit of gray on both sides and along my part and all along the perimeter of my face if I let it go natural. I would like to color more frequently more like 4-5 weeks but I am afraid of overprocessing. I know when I get older I am probably going to be completely gray and then who knows what I'll do :(

21. Starista

Starista Cohort

Apr 10, 2006

Thanks for all the advice!! My Easter break starts on Wednesday and I plan to make it a "project" of mine! :)

Thank you all again and here's to a great week!

22. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

Apr 10, 2006

I had heavy highlights in my hair and wanted it to go back to its reg. color (DARK brown). I went to a stylist b.c of the color on color. I am such a whimp when it comes to doing it myself. :) I just figured that I would end up messing it up anyway and still have to pay.

It was only 55 dollars and they did it all over. Call around-maybe you can find something affordable :) Good Luck and let us know

23. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Apr 10, 2006

Hanvan...are you still coloring...just wondering being pg...I know my cousin is a stylist & couldn't around the coloring & do nails when she was pg....

I actually help my mom color, so she doesn't miss too much.

I color once in awhile the Natural Instincts to add some spice to life. I'm like the poster in TX...dark hair, but auburn after a lot of sun!!!

24. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Apr 10, 2006

My natural color is brown...blah! I get a mixture of red and blonde highlights about every two months and I go to a salon. I have dyed it myself in the past, but the chemicals in the over the counter boxes are much harsher on your hair. I can always feel the difference. The gal I go to owns a small salon and only charges about $75 for a cut, color, and style. She's also a perfectionist so she really takes her time. I also take my son to her and she only charges me $10, which is half of what other salons charge.

I will never do my own hair again. It fry's the hair follicles too much. I'd rather pay the extra money to have it done right.

25. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

Apr 10, 2006

I asked my dr. and he said I could keep coloring my hair. Jenn's right about the box color being harsher on your hair. I went to a place where they don't have amnonia (sp??) in dye. I only did it once so that I could leave it alone the rest of my pregnancy....5 more mths :)

26. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Apr 10, 2006

You can get the box stuff that doesn't have the amnonia in it. I was such a wimp about my hair too, that I would have it highlighted for the first few years of college. I finally got up the courage to color it all. I'm still to chicken to highlight it myself (I just don't do it anymore). It was way too expensive ($60 every 3 months) to keep doing it. Now I spend $3 a box (I get the cheap Loreal stuff), and it works just as great!

27. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Apr 10, 2006

Yes, I buy the cheap stuff without the ammonia in it. One time I thought I'd try a more expensive brand, thinking it would look better. Well, it totally destroyed my hair because of the ammonia in it...so, I stick with the 2.97 a box!

28. JulieC

JulieC Rookie

Apr 12, 2006

My hair is dark blonde and I regularly die it blonde, then get fed up and go back to my usual colour. I use a mix of salon and home. I always find the box stuff ok, but it doesn't last as long. I was recommended to get highlights between the old colour and the new colour to help them blend. Be very careful - I once used a brown dye over blonde and turned my hair a greenish colour

29. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Apr 12, 2006

I've found that anything with the word Ash in the title tends to do that.

30. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Apr 12, 2006

When I was 14 I used Sun-In (a spray you use on your hair and then you sit in the sun and it lightens it). Never again. I started out blonde, then turned orange, then a greenish color. It totally ruined my hair.

31. Lesley

Lesley Habitué

Apr 12, 2006

OH JenPooh I did that too. I covered my head with a bandana and went to the salon to go back to my natural look... Oh, it was awful!