Hair dye thread

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by catnfiddle, May 15, 2011.

1. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

May 15, 2011

I started going white (not gray, white) in my mid-teens and my roots have been like snow since before I graduated college. Because of this, I've had a long time to play with every variety of brown and red hair color. KinderCowgirl went to college with me and might vaguely remember me when it was the shade of an eggplant (although I hope not).

Since I'm closer to 40 than 20, I'm trying to tone it down a little and also do my own color. I love my hairdresser but he's expensive! After years of using Feria, I'm tired of how badly it fades after a couple of weeks and am shopping around a bit.

For those who admit they color (obviously open to the men as well), what do you use? Are you happy with it or do you stay with it out of habit?

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 15, 2011

First, I didn't know you went to college with Kinder!! What a small world!

Secondly, I used to color a lot but stopped when one time I turned my hair orange. I always used Clariol.

4. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

May 15, 2011

This isn't very helpful but honestly if you have white hair and want it covered, I would splurge on getting it professionally done and cut the money somewhere else if I could. I just don't think there are at home products out there that are going to do it for you if you have a lot to cover.

Usually if you go to a professional they can upkeep your roots for minimum and if you get a single process instead of multiple highlights, it should cost as much. Ask your hairdresser if there is anyway you can purchase the good stuff from the salon for in between touch ups and see if he will show you what to do. Or maybe just talk to him and tell him you are trying to cut expenses and ask what he suggests.

5. porque_pig

porque_pig Comrade

May 15, 2011

Have you tried Loreal Preference? I've heard good things about it, and I think it covers gray/white hair pretty well.

6. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

May 15, 2011

I've used Revlon Color Silk with decent results. It fades pretty fast, but pretty much any red dye fades fast, so it's not really any worse than some of the more expensive brands out there. My hair gets lots of complements for how healthy it looks, so I guess it doesn't treat it too badly.

7. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

May 15, 2011

I don't have grey, but I just occasionally use some henna and I really love it, especially the colors that LUSH makes. Plus, it's natural, so you can use it whenever you need a touch up.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 15, 2011

Why not go with a light color...a wheaty blonde shade would fade right into your toots as they come in...definitely go with a name brand..Loreal is good, I also have good results with Garnier and Clairol.

9. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

May 15, 2011

I have the feeling that I'm going to be going white instead of grey too. I have been pulling one white strand in the front of my head for about a year now and I have another strand that I pulled a couple of months ago. I'm sure that I have more but my hair is so curly that I can't find anymore single strands. I have only dyed my hair three in my life and that was about 17 years ago (once to lighten it and it twice to get it back to my natural color). I hate maintaining my hair...I haven't cut my hair since I moved here -- almost 4 years ago, and I'm not looking forward to having to dye my hair.

10. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

May 15, 2011

I know right? There was a college thread and I couldn't believe it when I saw another A to Z member went to the fairly small liberal arts college I attended.

Cat-I don't remember the eggplant color-but I'm sure I would have been envious if I did. I wish I had played around more with "fun" colors in my youth! ;)

I use Loreal and have for years. I don't keep up with dying it as often as I should, but I haven't had problems with it fading just new greys growing in :whistle:.

11. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

May 15, 2011

I am what my mother used to call salt and pepper and I have always been afraid to dye my hair. I don't think I would be good with the upkeep, dread the cost of money and time, and mostly have just been chicken. My hair dresser used to but me but now says leave it - it is a good color, evenly spaced and works for me. I have always been afraid of the long-terms affects of using dye. By the way, I hate doing fingernails too. It makes me feel like they are suffocating - ridiculous I know. Just a plain gal, I guess.

12. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 15, 2011

I didn't play around with colour when I was younger--didn't colour my hair until I was in my early 30s. I am having some fun with it now; I love my bright red highlights!

13. smalltowngal

May 15, 2011

Oh, is this something we can see on facebook? :)

I don't really play with color all that much, though I have a few times and its always turned out ok...as long as a hairdresser does it!

14. smalltowngal

May 15, 2011

scmom~my mom always colored her hair until she started chemo. When her hair came back in, she left it natural and it was a beautiful salt-n-pepper color.

15. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

May 15, 2011

I've been tempted to go natural or at least lighter, but it just doesn't look right on me. I wash out if my hair is light. Maybe I'll break down when my eyebrows change color (which is slowly happening). As for sucking up the professional charges, it would be at least $760 a year if I did. I get my color done as a treat a few times a year.

16. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

May 15, 2011

I have been coloring my hair at home for the last 8 years or so. I used to use Revlon, but over the last few months I've switched to L'Oreal's Perfect 10. It costs about $12, and I love it!

I'm not sure how old you are, but I will say that the older you get the shorter the color stays in your hair. It's just a part of growing older. I'm 41, and I have to color now about every 4 weeks.

17. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 15, 2011

You can't see them all that well in the pic that's there--I'll try to take a better one (or, better yet, have Lauren take one for me!)

18. smalltowngal

May 15, 2011

MrsC, let me know when you get it up there!

band~I absolutely love the color of your hair too!

19. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

May 15, 2011

:hijack:

MrsC, you're on FB? Do I have you as a friend? I don't think I have you as a friend. Something's not right here....

20. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 15, 2011

I used to to go my expensive hairstylist too every few mos, but I've practically cut down altogether on that...haven't been yet this yr. I get the ammonia-free dyes. I seem to like Garnier HerbaShine a lot.

21. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

May 15, 2011

I was in that exact position a while back and finally decided to go au naturel because I was tired of looking like a skunk 2 weeks after getting color. First I had the salon strip off all the reddish brown dye. That was scary because it was some strange day-glo looking color. Then, we put on an ashy blonde to ease the transition. Two of my sisters are blondes, so I thought it might work out. It did, but I got frustrated with color fading (gray is really really tough to cover) and inconsistencies in shading, etc. My hair was short so I could go cold turkey and let the natural grey come in. I am so glad I did. Life is easier - and I get lots of compliments on my gray hair (which is really several shades of gray and white). Some people think I've had it 'done'.

22. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 15, 2011

Me too? Me too? Pleeeeeease?

23. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

May 16, 2011

Yeah, on that side note, feel free to find me on FB. STG and a couple others have me on theirs. I'm the redhead in pink hugging my other redhead buddy. Sadly, that pic was with the professionally done color that was perfect, but my roots were already coming through.

I did try John Freida color this weekend. It's very dark, but the coverage is excellent. We'll see how it fades.

24. Born2beTeacher

Born2beTeacher Rookie

May 16, 2011

From what I've heard the Freida stuff is good stuff. If you find that it fades kinda quick you might want to try a professional grade product.

Do you live near a beauty supply store like Sally Beauty or Ulta? They have color that tends to last longer than certain drugstore brands- you have to mix it and add your own developer and toner, which can be a little intimidating at first, but once you get the hang of it it's really simple, and the color lasts as long as if you got a pro to color it! Plus it's really good for gray coverage if you use the proper developer (usually a 20 volume because grays are so stubborn).
    I've been coloring my hair for years, (went to cosmetology school before I pursued teaching- figured I might as well save some $$ and do my own coloring :)) Don't need to cover grays (yet!), but I like that I can do cute reds and blondes that don't fade that fast!!

25. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

May 16, 2011

You are using a shampoo for colored hair, right? Reds especially fade horribly. I got Fekkai color technician at Target and I love it.

26. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

May 16, 2011

I get the best shine from Nice'n'Easy. I tend to get mine done at the salon but I use that when I can't get in. I mix colors so inreally don't even see a difference.

27. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

May 16, 2011

I have 75% dark blonde hair and 25% white.
    I pull mine threw a cap and highlight it the lightest blonde.
    I get it at Walgreens and it's for short hair.
    The results leave me with lots of colors and compliments.

28. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

May 16, 2011

Just as important as the shampoo is the temperature at which you was your hair. You want to use as cold as water as you can stand. Hot water strips the color very quickly.

Also, if at all possible, avoid washing your hair for the first 24 to 48 hours after you color it.

29. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

May 16, 2011

I can't handle cold showers, so I try to "shock" my hair after the shower by holding my head under a cold faucet. I'm using Treseme for colored hair.

30. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

May 16, 2011

I dye my hair ever 4-5 weeks and have used Garnier and loreal. I like both of them and think they look good. I have gone a shade lighter then my natural color. ( I have a lot of gray) I've seen that commercial about the foam from Nice and Easy...I think when school is out I will try it. I spend my money on pedi's and getting my brows waxed when I have my hair cut, and do my own mani's and hair dye. Wish I could afford it all!!

31. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

May 18, 2011

My hair was always what I called "paper bag brown", but since I was a cosmotologist and worked in a salon, it became the color of the week. When I left, i just highlighted it with blonde, but as the white (not gray) started coming in, I had to begin coloring the whole thing. I use a golden blonde, but often buy a darker shade to add low lights. It grows out quickly, but since I use one of the least expensive colors out there (Color Silk-I think it's like 3 bucks for the box), I do it frequently. Just use a shampoo for color treated hair and condition daily if you need to. What I do (but I have short hair) is use 1/2 of the color. Mix it in a separate bottle and add about 1/4 shampoo. Smoosh it all over your head for about 15 minutes and it will perk up your color for a while longer. If you are concerned about your eyebrows, get those professionally done. It's a lot cheaper than getting your hair colored.