Hair color-Salon or Drug Store?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Weazy, Jul 15, 2008.

1. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Jul 15, 2008

I'm "processing" right now--I mean my hair is processing. My roots were taking over and my gray and silver was glistening in the sun, so it was time to color. I was just wondering how many of you color your own or have it done in a salon. I do my own because I can't part with the money that it takes to have it done in a salon. I don't do anything fancy (highlights, etc.) because my hair has a lot of natural variety. I do have my eyebrows waxed, though. :lol:

3. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jul 15, 2008

Ha! I was JUST wondering this same thing. Thanks for starting this thread.

I quit coloring my hair when I was pregnant. I used to have such fun - I was a red-head in the end. It looked awesome. Now, plain mousy light brown with an 'interesting' gray streak forming at my right temple.

Now that I've been off work for four years and student loans on top of that, there's no $$$ for fancy hair anymore. I'm thinking of getting a box from the drug store. Recommendations???

4. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Jul 15, 2008

I've never colored my hair before. I don't plan on doing it until I have to...grays and such. Trying to keep it as healthy as possible, but I've never been into dying it anyway...guess it's a good thing as it does save money!

I would probably go to a salon if I did though, I wouldn't trust myself to do a good enough job! hehe

5. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jul 15, 2008

I love the way my hair looks with professional highlights or even all-over, but done professionally so it looks like I was born that way. Oh, the compliments... but that was THEN!

I heard that dyed hair never gets lice. Bonus!!

6. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Jul 15, 2008

Funny--I didn't have to start coloring until AFTER I had my first baby! :confused: Shortly after giving birth I noticed dark roots and gray hairs; I've been coloring ever since. I use Preference by Loreal (because I'm worth it..:lol:) and have been very fortunate. My hair has never dried out and has stayed healthy. I get it cut regularly.

7. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 15, 2008

Not only is my hair down to my butt, but I have & want to keep my highlights, so I couldn't begin to attempt to do it myself. I go to the salon, but only every few mos or so.

The thing I hate is when stylists see my hair, they have a good excuse to state a high price. But, I guess that's how it goes!

8. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jul 15, 2008

My hair didn't need coloring, I just tried it and loved it so much I kept doing it. Being pregnant made me nervous about the chemicals... maybe over-reacting but I'm a worrier I guess. I have super strong and healthy hair which can take ANYTHING and bounce right back. Even my ceramic straightener can't damage it :)

9. cosmoteach

cosmoteach Rookie

Jul 15, 2008

I go to my salon for highlights...last year, I tried to save money and used a store bought kit. I ended up with bright orange hair- my students could not stop laughing at it! My hairdresser was angry with me and still reminds me of it.

10. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Jul 15, 2008

Color at home because it is cheaper, but have had some hair disasters, such as coloring my hair at midnight, having my hair turn Bozo the Clown red and not being able to reach the Clairol professionals until the next morning at 9:00! But still continue to color at home.

11. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jul 15, 2008

I hit the salon every six weeks. I was born without the hairstyling gene! ;)

12. AngelM

AngelM Rookie

Jul 15, 2008

I started getting grays when I was 19! By mid 20's it was enough that I needed to start coloring. I do my own coloring. My hair grows so quickly that my roots have to be colored every 4 weeks. I can't imagine paying salon prices for that!! :)

13. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jul 15, 2008

I once colored my light brown hair DARK brown, using THREE boxes of color because it was so long, thick and curly. My hair maven flipped out. She gave me the longest, I TOLD YOU SO look before spending five HOURS and hundreds of dollars to strip it out and fix it. Ugh.

I'm thinking of getting a box of something that is very close to my natural hair color and won't have a line of demarcation. I'm not gray (except for that interesting streak on my right temple) so this might work... I just want to look less mousy...

14. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Jul 15, 2008

I have the best solution! Befriend a stylist! :) My good friend from HS has been doing my hair for a discounted rate since she was in beauty school in HS. I get a full foil set of highlights and a haircut for $40. Granted I tip her $10 too. But you can't beat that!

15. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 15, 2008

I hit the middle and visit Sally Beauty Supply for my hair dye. Since I can't afford to go to the salon right now, I get a fairly decent color from that. It's professional quality, just isn't done by a professional. I've used the store variety for years, but didn't like the brassiness it gave me. I am not willing to go gray.

16. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jul 15, 2008

Hmm.. beauty supply hair color. I'll check it out!

My hair maven (that's my nickname for her) always says she'll make it work with me, but she is flippin' waaaaay expensive and her "make it work" rate is still out of my comfort level given I don't work in the public eye anymore.

I think I'll go to the beauty supply and check things out. I hate brassy.

17. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Jul 15, 2008

I have med blonde hair.
    In the summer it turns WHITE.
    When my roots come in, it looks like I dyed when i did not.
    So every fall I have to go to a salon to get it colored my natural.
    She gets quite close so I only do it once a year.

Is it true that dyed hair do not get lice?
    They should advertise that! :lol:

18. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 15, 2008

Always go with a shade lighter or two lighter than what you really want ( I accidentally did too dark and looked like Elvis last summer :blush:) and pick up developer, gloves, and a bottle to apply it with. Once you have the basic supplies, you spend $6 to dye it and there's a whole range of colors and you can even do highlights if you feel crazy:)

19. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jul 15, 2008

Thanks, I'll take your advice. Elvis. Heh!

20. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 15, 2008

TeacherShelly, try L'Oreal Couleur Experte Express 6.4. It makes your color brown a lovely, "natural" shade of red.

21. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Jul 15, 2008

I finished my hair two hours ago and it turned out great! The first thing my husband said when he saw it was, " I like the color." I didn't change the color, but I did all of my hair, not just the roots and it livens the color back up. Tomorrow I will get it trimmed. I want a "new do" but not sure what. I'm thinking of letting it grow-out a little. I hope my hiar stylist can help me out! :unsure:

22. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Jul 15, 2008

I color my hair at home. Have had the carrot tops too! I really like the nice and easy light auburn color. It is pretty red but once I go out in the sun it fades to blonder. My friend who cuts my hair said when you are coloring red, buy two boxes of color. Just brush on the liquid color ( not the bottle you add the color to) and leave on for 20 minutes, bloat off the excess and then color as usual. It helps the color stay in.

23. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jul 15, 2008

That sounds good, too. When I was a redhead, no one realized I am really not. I have that Irish skin (very pink and pale) which just goes with red hair. It has to be blue-based red, though, not orange-based, or I look like Bozo.

I should call my hair maven and ask but I'm embarrassed.

24. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jul 15, 2008

That's so great when your hubby says things like that! :) I'll bet you look great.

Good luck on the style issue. I used to bring in pix of hair styles I wanted only to have "maven" roll her eyes and then give me a great hair cut that worked with MY hair. Remember when Felicity (Kerri Russell) chopped her locks? Well, my hair is JUST like hers and when I showed Maven, she said, "THAT is a picture of Kerri Russell growing her hair back. You are NOT getting that cut." Gawd, I miss Maven!!

25. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Jul 15, 2008

I love short hair, but my husband and my boys don't. My hair is sooo straight and I can't do much with it. I don't want a perm because it grows too fast. My face is currently a little too plump, and I guess round...I'm not sure what category my face shape falls under. I will probably go back to my short bob until I find something else. My hair was so short, it will be awhile until it gows back to a bob--even though it grows fast. I wish I had a little natural body in my hair!

26. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jul 15, 2008

This is soooooooooooooooooo not true. I've been dying my hair ever since my youngest was born because it went totally white when I was pregnant with my middle child. I have gotten lice every single freaking time my kids have brought them home from school.

I do mine at home...I can't afford a salon.

27. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 15, 2008

Bummer. I hoped that it was true I couldn't get lice because of dyed hair. Now, I'll go back to being paranoid every time someone gets lice.

28. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jul 15, 2008

Oh, one thing for those of you who are considering reds...be very careful what shade you pick. Natural redheads have a certain skin tone to go along with that red hair. If you're going for "redish" you can pull it off, but of you're going for really red, while it may look good, it won't fool hairdressers or redheads. Unfortunately, true red you can't get out of a bottle (and how that hurts, since I described my pre-child hair color as "orange").

29. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jul 15, 2008

Sorry :(

30. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Jul 15, 2008

Lice like clean hair because it's easy to navigate through, according to my stylist friend.

31. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jul 15, 2008

Actually, one of the best deterrents to lice is a zinc based dandruff shampoo. While it doesn't kill them, it makes the scalp a less than hospitable environment and they tend to go find someplace else to live. Of course, dandruff shampoo will strip your hair of dye, so you must decide if its worth it.

32. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 16, 2008

I've done both. For the last couple of years I've been having it done at the Salon. It's my "me" time. I only go every 3 mos. or so. I push it much farther then I should.

33. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Connoisseur

Jul 16, 2008

I have been dying my hair since I was 18. (just didnt like my hair color) Now I have to because of the gray. WHen I started back to college at the tender young age of 32, I hated that all the other girls at school were 18 and young and no gray so I started covering the gray up more often. I have had both salon and home and to me there is really no difference except price. Although the other day I bought a Loreal creme color that dried my hair out completely. I had to go to Sally's and get some conditioner. I normally use Clariol Nice N Easy. I wll go back to that next time I need a cover up.

34. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 16, 2008

I never colored my hair until it started getting thin. My black, straight hair made it more noticeable that I was losing hair. I had my stylist lighten my color and add highlights. I didn't want to turn my hair orange, which is the color you'll often get trying to lighten black hair.

I gave up coloring two years ago when I started buying my hair. Wow . . . the GRAY I've got. Egads!

35. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 16, 2008

I do my own color- Rachael Ray had a segment last week about whether to save or splurge on hair treatments- they did salon versus home treatements on twins and the audience picked who they thought was the salon- in many cases it was difficult to tell the difference or the difference was so slight that spending $$$ didn't make a lot of sense to me. I spend about $10 more or less every 5 weeks or so on hair color- It would cost MUCH more in a salon. I've been coloring for years- my hiar is soft, in great condition and no one would guess I do my own.

36. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Jul 16, 2008

I have a stylist friend that does my hair for a great deal. If I didn't have her, I would just keep it natural. I went to her school once and got a great deal on a cut and color! So you could maybe check out your local beauty college? They often have salon hours where students do hair at reduced rate.

37. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jul 16, 2008

Rats! I believed it when the seasoned veteran teachers at my school told me that. Guess I can't believe everything I hear, huh? Sorry and thanks for clearing things up.

Just the word LICE makes my head itch. Ugh.

38. runnerss

runnerss Comrade

Jul 16, 2008

I always get my done at the salon. I feel like it is better for my hair. The dyes at the store can dry out your hair really bad and make it really brittle. It took an entire year for my hair to recover. Now this doesn't happen to everyone. For some people store bought dye works just fine for them and their hair stays healthy. So it really depends on how your hair takes it.

39. Ghost

Ghost Habitué

Jul 16, 2008

I've been going gray since I was 16, so I've done both. I will say that the salon job lasts longer. For me it's Feria (Havana Brown :lol:) when I start to sparkle in the lights.

40. ahsila

ahsila Companion

Jul 16, 2008

I started coloring my hair when I was 14 - My older step-sister is a beautician so it started out as me being her test subject. I think that for the difference in price, using a home coloring kit is the better option (but I'm cheap, so if it saves money, I'm happy).
    Actually, the reason I posted was to let any of you who color hair know that if your hair tends to get brittle and dry after coloring, one of the best brands of shampoos and conditioners I have found is TreSemme (if you get the kind that has the gelatin in it, you will probably notice a big change the first time you use it, but all of them are good). The best part (again, I'm cheap) is that it is much more cost-effective than most other hair products.:2up:

41. ahsila

ahsila Companion

Jul 16, 2008

:lol:As soon as I read it, I started scratching! Oh, the power of suggestion!