!@#(#(!!! Had to say NO to a sub job

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by thesub, Sep 13, 2012.

1. thesub

thesub Comrade

Sep 13, 2012

I feel so upset. I know the first week of school not many subs get work and I was so thrilled to get a call today for a job tomorrow.
    But I have to take my mother-in-law to a dr's apptment and had to turn down the sub job. Sheeeshhh.......It's is so hard to lead a life around sub calls.

Thanks for letting me vent.
    thesub

3. Jen84

Jen84 Companion

Sep 13, 2012

I'm so sorry. Hopefully you will be able to accept another sub job soon.

4. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Sep 13, 2012

The next call will come soon. Unfortunately, that is the risk both sides of per diem work take. You may not get the call or they may not have the pleasure of your service.

5. thesub

thesub Comrade

Sep 13, 2012

Thank you both

- it was nice of you to reply.

To top it all, hubby suddenly called to say he'd work from home tomorrow and I am sure he'd have taken mommy dearest to her apptmnt.
    Oh welll...such is life.

Enjoy the weekend.
    thesub

6. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Sep 13, 2012

I canceled all the time and was always convinced they would blackball me for it. Not sure it ever happened though.

7. houseofbooks

houseofbooks Companion

Sep 13, 2012

Same here. I had to cancel a LOT last year because of graduate school. My thesis advisor changed deadlines all. the. time, which forced me to cancel sub days. I was never "blackballed" for it, surprisingly. The districts I work in are huge and all of them use AESOP so I never had to notify anyone at the school about canceling. I'd just click on the trash can, and another sub would scoop the job right up.

8. thesub

thesub Comrade

Sep 13, 2012

I am not really worried about blackballing

but I have been trying to get a job as an aide. I do not want to be a teacher and just want to be an aide and so I keep subbing.
    I have a Master's degree, have 5 yrs sub experience and am on teachers' preferred lists and yet an aide job is not coming by. There are a lot of young new teachers who get parapro jobs till they get a teaching job and I accept that. However, when I see other subs (whom I had worked with earlier) landing aide jobs, I get so mad. I know these moms who are not qualified as I am (at least I think so) and yet in a year or two, they get aide jobs, Just feel frustrated...:mad::mad::mad:

9. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Sep 15, 2012

One of the very few perks of subbing is that you can work on the days when you want to work. I've found that often it's feast or famine, though. If I need a specific day for something, I'll get maybe two different calls for that day. If I'm desperate to work....nuthin.