Had another meeting...

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by scienceteach82, Jan 28, 2009.

1. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Jan 28, 2009

So one of the assistant principals comes in to my class and asks if we could meet during my lunch time. I meet with her and the department head. Apparently they have been getting emails about many of my students failing. I told them I haven't entered all the grades yet...and they will be updated tomorrow afternoon.
    Then they went on to say how I am not being lively in class...and just reading from the powerpoint. Which...sometimes I do...but not the whole presentation...I tell stories...try and relate things...stuff like that.
    I almost cried about 10x during that 30 min meeting. They told me they want to help me be better.
    I have been trying to hard...been doing what they asked of me and more. I didn't want to give them a list of things I've done...b/c it wasn't a meeting for that. I told them I would take their advice, and come to them with any questions I have. I just know that the next time I see them in a meeting...I will start sobbing.
    I just don't know what to do anymore. At this point I don't know if I should start to look for another job. With the economy in such ruin...I have no clue what to expect.
    :(
    sorry for vent...I'm just so sad

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 28, 2009

EEK- I hope your department head has your back.

4. Crzy_ArtTeacher

Crzy_ArtTeacher Comrade

Jan 28, 2009

:hugs: I'm sorry... we're here for you!

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jan 28, 2009

:hugs:

6. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jan 28, 2009

ST sorry the meeting didn't go well. Can you set up a meeting with your department head once a week to go over any questions you have? That is what I did with my mentor last year.

7. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jan 28, 2009

Good luck Scienceteach. I know what you're going through. Stay positive!

8. cmw

cmw Groupie

Jan 28, 2009

:hugs:
    So because you are not lively in class the students are failing? :p That's just ridiculous! I am not sure what the school's policy is, but at most schools some students will fail. In my school when students do not complete work & do poorly on tests it is reflected in the online gradebook. Then the parents call & yell at the teacher. Why are the parents complaining to the prinicpal? Are they speaking with you first or just jumping the gun. It sounds like a bad situation for you. I know the job market is bad, but if you are unhappy it doesn't hurt to get resumes out there. Good luck!

9. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Jan 28, 2009

I want to stay at the school. It is a great one! The parents aren't calling/emailing me at all.
    I just want to ask them if they really are wanting to work with me..or if I should look for something else...

10. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Jan 28, 2009

I think I would go in with a list of things I do. (After calming down enough to make sure I don't burst into tears or come off sounding too defensive.) Then I'd ask them if they thought it might just be a bunch of vindictive students who are using their permissive parents as a means to get out of performing.

Don't quit or get too defeated. There aren't enough jobs out there. Just keep an eye out for a fresh place to start...one where your rep hasn't been damaged.

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 28, 2009

Would it help to observe some other classes?? Ask your AP for the name of someone who does it "right" so you can get more of a handle on exactly what they're talking about.

And don't quit!!! In this economy in particular: they're willing to work with you, so work with them!!

12. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Jan 28, 2009

I don't want to quit...I am willing to do anything and everything to prove I am a good teacher.
    She did suggest that...and I will observe some other teachers in my department.
    I just hate this feeling...
    Thanks for the support and suggestions.

13. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 28, 2009

They WANT you there!!! They wouldn't bother wth the meetings and suggestions otherwise.

So hang in there-- this will make you a better teacher. In a few years, you'll be mentoring some newbie, telling her about your hellish first year.

14. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Jan 28, 2009

Thanks, Alice :) -hugs-

15. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jan 28, 2009

This will pass, don't quit because the grass isn't going to be greener elsewhere. Take the constructive criticism as that, it's not a personal attack on you but just advice to make you a better teacher. Don't dare ask if they want you to leave, they might start thinking about it and they might think you want to leave. Stay positive.

They're working with you because they see potential there and you just need a little polishing.

I know the feeling of wanting to just sob, it's too bad you can't do a sob in advance to get it out of your system so it'd be all gone and there'd be no tears left.

16. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Jan 28, 2009

Thank you, Hoot Owl :)

I want to...and will show them I am worth it.

17. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jan 28, 2009

Oh, scienceteacher. I feel for you.

If I were you, I'd schedule a meeting to write down the exact issues they want you to improve on. I wish I had done this. They kept telling me that I wasn't doing things right, so I would change them, and they would come back with more unhappiness. If I had written it down, along with what I was doing, I would have had more 'proof'. I also try to re-iterate what I'm hearing from them so that we're all on the same page. 'So I'm hearing you say that you'd like me to speak more naturally during class instead of reading the powerpoint, right?'. Then if it sounds ridiculous, they hear it out loud and can either say 'yes, that's what we want you to do', or 'no, that's not exactly what we mean'. But it's so hard to do that in a meeting when you feel like they are attacking you. I'm so sorry for your stress.

18. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jan 28, 2009

Great suggestion, Jem, about repeating what they say back to them!

19. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Jan 28, 2009

thanks, jem!

20. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Jan 28, 2009

beginning teaching is so darn hard, I really hope that you can work together with the admin to figure out what they want.

HUGS good luck@

21. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Jan 30, 2009

Thanks, mom2ohc

I went in yesterday morning to speak to the assistant principal. When i first got to school I composed an email describing the agenda for the week (any upcoming quizzes, tests...), and said I would be sending these out weekly...to all parents. I sent the email out...and have gotten several responses thanking me for the communication. I printed those out and showed them to her (AP). She was very excited, and said she wanted to suggest that I send monthly letters or something...but thought it might be too much with all she told me the other day. She kept saying how happy she was that I took this upon myself, and got the rewards first hand. She is coming next week to observe my class...and said she was excited about that too.
    made me feel a bit better...I just need to keep up with ideas.
    When I was observing my department head this morning, she walked by and waved to me. So...she sees I am trying.

22. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jan 31, 2009

At least they are willing to help! My first year was a nightmare in part because I felt like I was completely on my own. I knew I was in trouble and went to the P more than a few times for help/advice/anything. I was observed once in the classroom, sent to another school to observe a teacher (with not a single idea of what to look for or any sort of debriefing afterward), and once just spoke with the P on the phone after school from home. I knew I was in trouble but had no idea what I was doing wrong or how to fix it. First year teaching is tough, and my heart goes out to you, but you are getting some sort of backup and training. Stick with it and document all the things you are doing (along with the results you are seeing.)