Had 2 interviews but have heard NOTHING

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by hhteach, Jul 13, 2012.

1. hhteach

hhteach Rookie

Jul 13, 2012

I was hoping someone might have some insight to this situation. I recently interviewed for a teaching position at a school district I previously worked for (I left on good terms, was relocating out of state temporarily for husband's work and now we have moved back). I had my first interview and it went really well...they told me during the interview they would like me to return for a 2nd interview. I went in for the 2nd interview and felt it went very well also. The administrators told me there was a 3rd interview in the process and I would hear back no matter what, even if I was not going to be asked back for a 3rd interview. My 2nd interview was over a week ago and I have heard nothing. The principal that I interviewed with in the first interview told me they were trying to move very quickly to fill this spot, so I find it odd that I haven't heard anything. Of course I sent my thank you letters immediately after interviewing and then followed up again earlier in the week reiterating my interest in returning to the district and stating that I hoped I was still being considered for the position. I sent a separate email to the HR coordinator asking if I could be updated with the status of my application. I have not heard a word from anyone; it's as if my interview never existed. I certainly do not want to be too pushy, so I am holding off on calling. If I don't hear anything by early next week I do plan on giving them a call.

Has anyone had a similar experience? At this point I would just like to know because I was so excited about returning to the district and it has really been nerve-inducing sitting and waiting. If I didn't get the 3rd interview that's fine, I just want some closure at this point! Waiting is so difficult!

3. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Jul 13, 2012

Sorry, you're in this situation. I'll never understand why some districts treat candidates this way. It could be that they haven't decided who they'll be calling back for the next round yet but they could at least respond to you to tell you that. I hope you hear something soon.

By the way, I had two interviews nearly a month ago and never heard anything back. One of them went out of their way to let me know I would "definitely" hear something either way. I felt they both went very well. A friend of mine went on two interviews and did a demo lesson for a district and they never got back to her. In my opinion, it is very rude to leave someone hanging. They must realize how anxious you are to find out. Good luck.

4. Galois

Galois Companion

Jul 13, 2012

Hi. Waiting is always hard. This happened to me too. They told me I will be scheduled to give a demo, but they never called back. When I called they said that they will just call me when needed, which means they have filled the position.

I just move on and applied to other districts. I hope this helps.

5. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Jul 13, 2012

Keep in mind we just had a major holiday last week and many people are taking summer vacations right now. That could be slowing the process down.

Two years ago, I interviewed for a job in a neighboring district. I felt the interview went well and the P also told me they would be "acting very quickly and I should hear something within two weeks at the most". THREE weeks later, I called to follow-up. They had had a couple of late interviews and had not made a decision yet. It ended up being almost two months after the interview that I was finally told "We've chosen another candidate."

I had a number of interviews this summer as well. One was with my school from the Spring, so I knew I would be getting that interview and - most likely - be offered the job again. Another was with the school I will actually be working with this year.

That interview was a couple of weeks BEFORE the interview with my previous school. I was the first interview of the day, so I knew I was setting the standard for the rest of the interviews. I did not hear a THING back from the school for more than 3 weeks, so I figured I did not get the job. Then the P finally called to tell me I was their candidate of choice, but the "official" offer would have to wait until approval had been given by the school board. Two days later, I got the call from my previous school telling me I HAD been approved by their school board and was now the "official math teacher" for their school. It was another two weeks before I got the same confirmation from Interview#1.

So sometimes the school personnel just move slower than we would like and, sometimes, even slower than they expect themselves. School#1 had already begun calling my references and checking into my background before ever calling to tell me I was their chosen candidate. Even then, it was another two weeks before their school board met and they made it "official".

I know it's tough and time is getting short, but hang in there. If you haven't heard anything by Monday, I think it would be perfectly acceptable to call the school yourself to follow up.

6. ammyers626

ammyers626 Rookie

Jul 13, 2012

I think I would definitely wait a little bit longer. Maybe call by the middle of the week next week if you haven't heard anything by then. Waiting is definitely the hardest part and even though they say they will get back to you, sometimes they don't. I don't know why they do that, but I've learned not to get my hopes up.

I hope you hear good news soon!

7. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jul 13, 2012

Definitely wait a little longer, but then I would call next week and ask. You never know when someone's kid gets sick, they are checking references, running other checks, etc.

8. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 13, 2012

I resigned over a month ago, and they just posted my position today so your district isn't the only one that moves slowly.

9. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jul 13, 2012

I'd wait til Wednesday. Big holiday, vacations, and a back log of work would all push notifications later than expected.

10. hhteach

hhteach Rookie

Jul 17, 2012

Still in the running!

Wow, so I called HR today and they have completely hit a wall with hiring. They have not moved on to 3rd round interviews at all...so for now I am still being considered. In the meantime I have managed to make it to the final round of interview for 2 other school districts. One interview is tomorrow and the other is the following day. I am praying by the end of the week I will have received an offer!

11. SCTeacher23

SCTeacher23 Comrade

Jul 17, 2012

GOOD LUCK!!

12. JamieB11

JamieB11 Companion

Jul 18, 2012

Good luck!!

13. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 18, 2012

Yay! Good luck :)

14. TeachTN

TeachTN Comrade

Jul 18, 2012

Congrats HHTeach!!! Hopefully it will be a Wonderful Wednesday, Thankful Thursday, or Fantastic Friday for you when you receive that offer!!!!

15. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Jul 18, 2012

Congratulations on all your recent news. It sounds like you're making quite an impression on these schools! Good luck! I hate the waiting game so I hope you get an offer asap.