H1N1

Discussion in 'General Education' started by dizzykates, Sep 21, 2009.

1. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Sep 21, 2009

30% of my local district was out "ill" (or kept home I suspect) due to flu-like symptoms and several confirmed cases of H1N1. No word on closing schools though...I don't know how I feel about that.

What do you think?

3. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Sep 21, 2009

I went to the doctor on Friday and he explained to me what was going on. Most of the "flu" they are seeing right now is Type "A" flu which is what H1N1 is. He said that he had seen over 100 cases of flu this week alone but it is not time for the seasonal or Type"B" flu. He said that to get a positive swine flu test takes 2 weeks when it is not backed up. Right now they are just doing a 10 minute nasal test and if it is positive, then it is probably swine flu but most people do not get deadly symptoms. Only those in the high risk groups need to really worry. The vaccine should be out for swine flu in the next week or so and you can get it if you are in certain risk groups. I have asthma so he put me down to get it. The flu vaccines being given right now are for the regular seasonal flu and do not protect against swine flu or H1N1.

4. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Sep 21, 2009

Do they have enough subs?

We have just a few isolated cases. I personally would hate for school to close, we'd have to make the days up.

5. fantasticfirst

fantasticfirst Rookie

Sep 21, 2009

Last year we closed early because of H1N1. 25% of my class was out the day that we closed. I know that my classroom was one of the reasons the district decided to close early. (I kept sending kids home sick with flu like symptoms.) We didn't have to make up the days because it was the end of the year. The teachers still had to report though.
    I hope we don't have to close this year. I don't want to make up the days. I also think we have a better handle on the situation now.

6. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Sep 21, 2009

Our district is not going to close any schools this year - that was what they said. Students missed graduations last year and testing, it was just ridiculous. We've had a couple of confirmed cases in our school already this year (although I don't think anything was sent home to that effect, which concerns me a little, but I don't think they want panic and the kids had already been exposed by the time the 1st kid got sick). It didn't go through like wildfire or anything, the kids are fine now.

I'm afraid to get the vaccine - I just think it was thrown together too quickly and they haven't had time to test it properly.

7. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Sep 21, 2009

If our schools are closed due to it, we do not have to make up the days. I'm wondering if subs will want to be in a building where a lot of students and teachers are out with the flu. ICK.

8. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Sep 21, 2009

It is still based on the standard flu vaccine and was created using the same process that is used each year for the revised vaccines. The regular flu vaccine is a new one created each year using the newest strains.

9. fuzed_fizzion

fuzed_fizzion Comrade

Sep 21, 2009

Our district has mandated for staff and students not to come to school until they have been fever free without medication for 24 hours. This is why I will be home again tomorrow with my daughter. She has been running a fever and achy, but feeling much better now. We have had a really bad cold going around school as well and it can be tough to tell the difference between the two.