H.S. English Teacher Book

Discussion in 'High School' started by DreamToTeach, Sep 16, 2008.

1. DreamToTeach

DreamToTeach Companion

Sep 16, 2008

I have a question for all the H.S. English teachers out there.

When I first went to school over 20 years ago, I was going to be a H.S. English teacher, my major was English/Humanities. Fast forward 20 years, and I'm back in school but this time for my multiple subject credential. I'm almost done, and now wondering if I first shouldn't explore the H.S. English thing again.

Before returning back to school, I read several books to give me a "feel" for being a teacher and to see if I thought it sounded like how I would want to spend my day. "First Days" by Wong and "Love and Logic" by Fay were my first 2. Yep! I wanted to return to teach!

Is there a book that you feel gives a good indication of day-to-day life of H.S. English teacher? I'm looking at "English Teacher's Survival Guide" by Brandvik and wondering if I shouldn't read through that. What do you think?

3. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Sep 16, 2008

I just glanced at the Amazon.com preview, and it looks okay, but not thrilling. I suggest Teaching Outside the Box by LouAnne Johnson, who is an English teacher; I wish I had read it in my first year of teaching.

Personally, I love teaching HS - I have all seniors, and they're my favorites. Are you in NorCal or SoCal?

4. DreamToTeach

DreamToTeach Companion

Sep 16, 2008

Thanks, Mrs. K. That was my feeling. The book looked good, everyday kinds of things, but not exciting. Seems like Jim Burke books are popular. I have Teaching Outside the Box. I glanced at it and picked through it, looking for elementary things, I'm going to get it out tonight and look more carefully. She has a great attitude! That I remember.

I'm in NoCal. My daughter is a senior this year. She kept telling me I shouldn't be a high school teacher because the kids are so mean. This year, however, she was begging me to take a LTS in one of her classes! I think as her classmates have matured, she sees how exciting the subject matter can be, and she knows how much I "get into" my subjects! When it came to her history courses, she couldn't keep me out of her room helping her study! And when she read The Great Gatsby I would talk her ear off about it! :whistle:

So, most of my family and friends keep asking why I'm not teaching H.S. It's just making me wonder, and makes me think I should do some soul searching!

5. wunderwhy

wunderwhy Comrade

Sep 16, 2008

I recommend the memoir Losing My Faculties by Brendan Halpin. It's not sugar-coated, so he tells the good with the bad, but I think it's compelling and it always makes me laugh.

6. ELA 11 12

ELA 11 12 Companion

Sep 23, 2008

Thanks for posting this question. I just discovered Jim Burke. I enjoy his English Teacher's Companion (where's the text editor function? I want to underline that title so badly!). It's cool to see some other titles as well!

7. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Sep 23, 2008

The text editor function is right above the text you're typing! :p

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 23, 2008

In the quick reply box, you should see some formatting options above the text box, beginning with B I U (which of course stand for Bold, Italic, and Underline. To see even more options, click on the Go Advanced button below the screen. You can also insert many formatting commands by hand: for example, to underline that text I'd plant the cursor before the word English and type "U" (without the quotation marks) inside a pair of square brackets, then I'd plant the cursor after the word Companion and type "/U" (again, without the quotation marks) inside a pair of square brackets.

If you preview your post, you're automatically taken to a screen that will show you all the formatting commands, along with the result when they're applied to your text.

9. ELA 11 12

ELA 11 12 Companion

Sep 23, 2008

Yeah, so I am a new member. I wonder if that option was just activated for me...I did try to post links one of my first posts here and faced denial like that river in Africa.

10. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Sep 23, 2008

Last edited: Sep 23, 2008
  11. DreamToTeach

DreamToTeach Companion

Sep 23, 2008

Thanks for the additional suggestions! I found a book that looks interesting, but isn't a day-in-the-life book. It is called Deeper Reading by Kelly Gallagher. It states that it is for 4-12, so one way or another I should probably pick it up and read it!

I'm hijacking my own thread, but . . .
    I observed a high school class last week. It wasn't an English class, but a drawing class. It was a great way to spend some time around teenagers again. (Well, teenagers that don't belong to me or I haven't seen grow up!) I think I would really like working in that setting. I just have to wonder if it would be harder to find a job.

I'm going to place an order on amazon.com and get a couple of the suggested books. Thanks everyone! Once again I find this forum a rich source of knowledge!! :thanks::thumb:

12. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Sep 24, 2008

Kelly Gallagher is great - I'm using techniques from his Teaching Adolescent Writers this year, and I'm hoping for much-improved final drafts.