H E L P.... I only have 15 days to......

Discussion in 'Secondary Education Archives' started by historybuff91, Oct 30, 2006.

1. historybuff91

historybuff91 Companion

Oct 30, 2006

Ok I rlly need help now. My school district requires a total of ten tests per quarter now i have just started my new position as accelerated s.s. teacher last tuesday and ive given one test. i took of the spot of a teacher that moved away unexpectangly and she gave 4 tests, so that makes a total of five. I need to give five more tests by November 14. Please help me. I dont have any tests and i am dont like the tests the teachers before me used-- i feel they are unfair, unusually hard, and very outdated. Anyways i just made westward expansion test that i like but i would rlly appreciate if another teacher could email me their tests on gov.' and politics, westward expansion and current events.

3. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Oct 30, 2006

That's a lot of test in a short time. Sounds like a good way to burn out a bunch of students. I'd make one a match. And I'd be sure we reviewed it lots so they know it.

I'd make one an open book. Also educational, but easy enough not to stress the students.

One might be a written page telling about something in history that the student finds interesting. So again there isn't a right or wrong answer, but it will let you know your students. Do during the class period.

4. historybuff91

historybuff91 Companion

Oct 30, 2006

thank you for the ideas. Yes i know i feel so bad that they have to take some many tests in such a short period of time. I think im just going to collect two homework assignment that were long and count them a quiz grade.

5. wig

wig Devotee

Oct 30, 2006

You really cannot give another teacher's tests unless the objectives are the same. You are expected to give one test a week. To catch up, you have to give one every three days. That makes no sense. Another reason why our tests are not going to help. In what way are the tests outdated? History IS outdated, LOL! Prentice Hall has self-tests on line, but anyway, with a test every three days they will be of no help to you.

The more I think of it, as a math teacher, would you have expected another teacher's tests to meet your objectives? The chances of that happening is not huge. It is even more impossible with SS or science.

6. historybuff91

historybuff91 Companion

Oct 31, 2006

Well i satyed up almost all of last night and i created what i feel to be fair tests. Do you feel this is a good tests for U.S. gov.'t?
    The document didnt copy though....and the vocabulary didnt copy either.

Name: History ( )
    Date:

**Government Exam**

Part I. Multiple Choice

1. ______ What branch of government is responsible for making laws?
    A. Executive Branch
    B. Legislative Brach
    C. Judicial Branch
    D. All of the above

2. _______ What branch is responsible for making sure laws are constitutional?
    A. Executive Branch
    B. Legislative Brach
    C. Judicial Branch
    D. All of the above

3. _______ What branch of government carries out laws?
    A. Executive Branch
    B. Legislative Brach
    C. Judicial Branch
    D. All of the above

4. _______ What is the proper name for the first ten amendments?
    A. Constitution
    B. Bill of Rights
    C. Articles of Rights
    D. None of the above

5. _______ Which system below handles the division of power in government?
    A. The Due Process
    B. The System of Checks & Balances
    C. Both A & C
    D. The Electoral College

6. _______ What is the Electoral College?
    A. A committee that handles education
    B. A committee that votes for a presidential candidate
    C. A committee to vote on bills.
    D. A committee that decides on the finances for education

7. _______ What is the first step a bill takes in its process to become a law?
    A. It is introduced into the Senate
    B. It is introduced into the House of Reps.
    C. It goes through a committee which then sends it to either the Senate or House of Reps
    D. None of the above

8. ________ What sentence best describes democracy?
    A. A government where citizens elect officials to represent them in parliament.
    B. A government where citizens have no rights at all.
    C. A system of government where all citizens are ruled by a bloodline.
    D. A system of government where citizens have the right to vote for Rep.

9. _______ What is a Federalist?
    A. A person that wanted the United States Constitution to be ratified
    B. A person that wanted the U.S. Constitution to be ratified but didn’t want amendments
    C. A person that did not want the Constitution to be passed.
    D. A group of people that wanted the United States to just revise the Articles of Con.

10. ______ What is one role that the Vice President most do?
    A. Run the House of Representatives
    B. Complete the national budget
    C. Head of the Senate
    D. Address the public

Part II. Vocabulary Matching

Part III. True or False

21. ___________ The Constitutional Convention was held in Washington D.C.
    22. ___________ The Legislative Branch was the first branch to be created.
    23. ___________ The President has the power to declare war.
    24. ___________ Congress is made up of two houses.
    25. ___________ Congress can impeach a president.

Part IV. CRQ Questions- Constructed Response Questions

Document 1
    (1787)

26. The document above represents what?
    _______________________________________________________________________________

27. Who is the father of the Constitution?

28. In what year was the Constitution ratified?

Document 2

29. The document above represents what?

30. Name one power the president has that no other branch has.

31. What is significance of what this document represents?

Part V. Critical Thinking Questions

32. If you were alive during the Constitutional Convention would you have been a Federalist or an Anti-Federalist? Explain.
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

33. Was John’s rights violated? Why or why? If yes what amendment was violated?

- John enters school on Tuesday and reports to his homeroom as usual. However this time his teacher sends him down to the principal’s office for misbehaving. When he sees the principal, he drops his bag accidentally and the principal thinks he smells marijuana. So he searches John’s bag and sure enough there was marijuana.
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

34. Tell what amendment was violated for each of the following

a. John’s trial is set for two years from now: _________________________________________
    b. Billy was arrested for peacefully protesting in the park: _____________________________
    c. Janine was arrested for slander in her newspaper article: ___________________________
    d. Stephanie was forced to feed soldiers: ____________________________________________
    e. Lucy was arrested for owning a legal handgun: _____________________________________

VI: Complete the sentence

35. The legislative branch is made up of the _____________ & ___________________

36. The President is head of the __________________ branch

37. ____________ can declare war.

38. Senators can serve ________ years.

39. The leader of the Senate is _______________ who is also the _______________.

40. The _____________ protects rights of U.S. citizens.

41. If they president should die then __________ would take over, but if he too shall die then the __________ would become the new president.

42. The ____________amendment protects freedom of expression, ____________, religion, ____________, and the right to ____________.

43. Shay’s Rebellion was the main reason why the ________________ had to be changed into the ______________ at the ____________ _______________ of 1787.

7. wig

wig Devotee

Oct 31, 2006

The test looks good. Definitely not too difficult. If your students were half paying attention and made an attempt to study (I teach 8th grade, too. LOL) they should do well.

#34 is the only one I would question. Have they gone over the amendments well enough and often enough to state which ones? If not, that section could be a nightmare.

8. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Oct 31, 2006

Have you had time to teach all of this material?

9. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Oct 31, 2006

That is a long test. Why not break it up into more test and study each part before giving the test.

Amendments are confussing, which makes them very hard.

10. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Oct 31, 2006

I was going to suggest the same thing. Who says a test has to be long?

11. wig

wig Devotee

Oct 31, 2006

Well, that is about the length of test my students have. It probably depends on the type of students you have. BUT, by taking their suggestion, you have two tests of the five more you have to have.

12. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Oct 31, 2006

Or perhaps 3 or 4.

13. historybuff91

historybuff91 Companion

Oct 31, 2006

well i didnt have time to teach all that material but the teacher that im taking over for did. And as for the ammendments i think they are fair because we spent 7 days using them in famous court cases when we did the judicial branch and i made sure to use a cases that used all the ammendments. Well it is lengthy yes but im giving them a period and a half to do it so.

14. wig

wig Devotee

Oct 31, 2006

If you spent seven days on the ammendments, they certainly should be able to do that part.

15. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Oct 31, 2006

We were just saying you could take more than one grade from it, and then have more of your required number of tests.
    Are you going to give them a review on it, since you did not cover all the information yourself?

16. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Oct 31, 2006

Test looks great, looks like the ones I have given in the past. Only thing I would add is an essay question. If you hae shorter periods you ould lleave the essay untill th next day or assign it as homework. I always put essays on my tests becuase it is important for students to be able to show their competency through essays and student's need to leanr how to write a proper essay for history. It is my experience that many student's do not no how to write a proper history essay, which is different from write an essay for an English Class.

17. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 31, 2006

I think that it is a great idea (and really important) to be sure to review the material taught (or supposed to have been taught) by the previous teacher, especially if you are including those concepts on your test. My son is on his 3rd Physics teacher this semester and the first major test was written by the first teacher but used by the 3rd. Much of the material wasn't covered in the required depth by any of the teachers.

18. historybuff91

historybuff91 Companion

Nov 2, 2006

How is this for a westward expansion test. I am going to give two tests for this unit. this being the first one.

Name: History ( )
    Date:

*Westward Expansion Exam*

Part I. Multiple Choice

1. _____ Which of the following time periods corresponds to the first major flurry of expansion and the admission of new states?
    (A) 1763 - 1776
    (B) 1791 - 1803
    (C) 1843 - 1857
    (D) All of the above

2. _____ Most farmers who purchased land in the West grew _______.
    (A) Wheat
    (B) Lonely
    (C) Cash crops
    (D) Peanuts

3. _____ Which of the following were reasons for the Panic of 1819?
    (A) The Bank of the US demanded redemption of its state bank notes
    (B) Foreign demand for American crops dropped off
    (C) The state banks demanded that small farmers pay off their loans
    (D) All of the above

4. _____ Which of the following played the largest role in the poor treatment of the Indians?
    (A) Henry Clay
    (B) James K. Polk
    (C) George Armstrong Custer
    (D) Andrew Jackson

5. _____ How much did the US pay for the 190 million acres of land it gained from Indian removal between 1832 and 1837?
    (A) $0
    (B) $70 million
    (C) $200 million
    (D) $400 million

6. _____ Which of the following developments is the railroad credited with provoking?
    (A) Vast immigration from foreign nations to the American West
    (B) A second boom in the number of cash croppers
    (C) The settlement of new areas between the Mississippi and the west coast
    (D) All of the above

7. _____ Which of the following was a main argument against the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo presented in Congress?
    (A) It was beneficial to slavery
    (B) It did not achieve the cession of all of Mexico
    (C) It left the question of Texas unresolved
    (D) It stalled the California gold rush

8. _____ Why did the US win the Mexican War so easily?
    (A) They were fighting on their home soil
    (B) Mexico had less manpower than the US
    (C) The US had superior artillery and leadership
    (D) All of the above

9. _____ Which of the following best describes the sentiments of most proponents of Manifest Destiny?
    (A) They were for slavery in the West
    (B) They were against slavery in the West
    (C) They were indifferent to slavery in the West
    (D) Manifest Destiny did not become prominent until the issue of slavery was decided on

10. ____ Where was Oregon finally divided between the US and Great Britain?
    (A) 36 degrees 30 minutes latitude
    (B) 49 degrees latitude
    (C) 54 degrees 40 minutes latitude
    (D) 64 degrees latitude

11. ____ What was the main reason that John Tyler's annexation treaty failed in the Senate?
    (A) Southern senators opposed expansion
    (B) Northern senators opposed expansion
    (C) Both southern and northern senators feared sectional conflict
    (D) Effective filibustering

12. ____ Which of the following best describes the sentiments of the Mexican government toward the extension of American settlement and trade into the Mexican territories during the 1830s?
    (A) It distrusted the Americans' motives
    (B) It was indifferent to the movements of the Americans
    (C) It welcomed American settlement and trade
    (D) It was militantly against the intrusion of Americans

Part II. Vocabulary

13.____ pathfinder (A) a policy or principle of slavery in the United States.
    14.____ nationalism (B) in short supply; insufficient.
    15.____ annex (C) something that is advocated or taught; teaching.
    16.____suffrage (D) a self-propelled engine, esp. one that pulls or pushes railroad cars.
    17.____locomotive (E) the collective spirit and aspirations of a nation.
    18.____pioneer (F) the right to vote in a political election or the exercise of this right.
    19.____ secede (G) someone who explores or goes to live in a place previously unexplored or uninhabited by many of his or her culture.
    20.____ doctrine (H) a chance for an improved situation.
    21.____ sectionalism (I) to quit an organization, a political or religious unit or alliance, or the like.
    22.____ abolitionism (J) one who finds or makes a path or way, usu. through unexplored areas.
    23.____opportunity (K) an intense, sometimes excessive, regard for local interests or concerns.
    24.____ scarce (L) to add or attach, esp. to something larger.

19. wig

wig Devotee

Nov 2, 2006

20. historybuff91

historybuff91 Companion

Nov 7, 2006

thnaks for those links they are very helpful.

21. Raising3boys

Raising3boys Companion

Nov 7, 2006

If you did not teach this material, how can you expect the students to be held accountable for it? Why can't you do projects as a test grade?Also, why can't the students create a test together? They could get into groups and create questions. Often times, their tests can be more challenging, plus they are reviewing the material.

I strongly disagree with just assessing students just to get enough grades. You need to know why you are assessing them. I would talk to your administration right up front and explain the situation.

22. historybuff91

historybuff91 Companion

Nov 8, 2006

well i didnt teach all that material the teacher i took over for did and i started up where she ended.. So she ended at the battle of wounded knee and i continued from there.. and i did a project. But tomorrow is the end of the marking period and they have completed everything that was mandated by the district so. Im probably going to throw them a party tomorrow to celebrate the end of the quarter seeing as how they worked so hard.

23. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 8, 2006

Ouch-- think twice about the party. You've been in there for 2 weeks; I would be concerned about the tone I was setting with a party. Will you party at the end of every quarter? Even if they continue to work hard?

How about giving them a night w/o homework or something calmer? It will also keep you from losing a full class period.

The few times I've taken over a class after the year has started, I've found myself a bit behind in terms of time. Plus, in our part of the country, we never know how many days we'll lose to snow-- or days when half the class doesn't make it in. (Last year, my school-- also on LI-- had some days when 300 kids were out-- there was a wicked bug going around.)

I vote against losing a teaching period. Congratulate them on a job well done, and start the next chapter.

Congrats to you!

24. wig

wig Devotee

Nov 8, 2006

I agree!