Gym teacher did something very creepy

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Nero, Mar 15, 2012.

1. Nero

Nero Rookie

Mar 15, 2012

I thought I posted this already, I'll try again as a junior in high school I was in Gym class when a Gym teacher (actually an assistant teacher) such up on me and started tickling me:eek:. I can't tell you how humiliating this was. All I could do was laugh as everyone watched and laughed at me. He just wouldn't stop, he went on for several minutes, but it felt like hours. Some fellow students have said it isn't a big deal because gym teachers are goofballs". But my gut instinct tells me something's fishy here? I cringe just thinking about it!
    Do I talk to him personally?
    Go to his supervisor, the assistant principal of the physical education department, a nice woman whom I know from when I took her Yoga class.
    What do you thing I should I do?
    What do you think is going on here?
    What would you do if you saw this happening?

-Tristan
    (I'm sorry I'm not a teacher, yet)

-I'm really conflicted so please don't erase this i felt I was losing my mind as I searched for my original posting.
    If you do erase it, kindly notify me

3. TomAtlanta

TomAtlanta Rookie

Mar 15, 2012

Talk to your parents, and anyone else in that list that you want to. It is always good to talk about things like this.

4. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Mar 15, 2012

Tom is right. Parents, school counselor, female PE teacher, maybe the female dean. It was higly inappropriate. You have lots of witnesses so that greatly in your favor.

5. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Mar 15, 2012

I would suggest the same thing talk to parents and the teacher of the class. You should not feel uncomfortable in your PE class...

Good Luck!!!

6. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Mar 15, 2012

I echo what everyone else has said.

I definitely remember reading this around 8 AM... why was it deleted?

7. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Mar 15, 2012

Please notify your parents and an adult in your school that you feel comfortable talking to ASAP. (this can be a teacher, the principal, the counselor, etc.)
    That was not ok.

8. Nero

Nero Rookie

Mar 15, 2012

Well tommarrow I'm going to talk to the A.P. of the Phys. Ed department, she knows me and we have a good rapport as I mentioned. My classmates thought I should talk to him personally, but i'm going w/ you guys cause this was innappropriate to put it mildly.
    However I see no need to get my parents involved as long as the school takes care of this. I mean what is telling them going to achieve?
    Remember just talking about it makes me cringe.

Tell me if you think I'm wrong?
    Or whatever you think?

-Tristan

9. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Mar 15, 2012

Of course, I can only speak of my experiences as a parent, but I would certainly want to know if someone in my child's school (or anywhere, for that matter) is doing something to my child that makes them feel uncomfortable or scared.
    ...My husband says that I would probably go beat them up!...Mother Lion that I am. :hugs:

10. Nero

Nero Rookie

Mar 15, 2012

See, that's exactly it, I don't want him to get beat up!
    (though he probably deserves it)
    and I just can't explain how uncomfortable it is to talk about this incident.
    I appreciate the hugs, I needed them. :)

11. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 15, 2012

Someone did something to you that made you feel uncomfortable and violated; this is something your parents need to know about, even if you feel that you can handle it yourself. If things don't go well in your meeting tomorrow, someone else can "take up the fight". What your teacher did crossed many boundaries.

12. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Mar 15, 2012

Also, I think you're right not to confront your gym teacher because that would be an uncomfortable situation.
    I'm glad you're planning on informing an adult.

13. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Mar 15, 2012

Go to the admin, gloves off. If they do not take action, then tell them you will press charges for assault and battery.

By "action" I mean this person should not be working with minors.

Just so you know, most detailed definitions of physical abuse - be it spousal, child, or bullying, include excessive tickling as a form.

Now here's another thing to keep in mind. You likely have classmates (some of whom may have been among those laughing) who actually DID NOT think it was very funny. In fact, you may have far more on your side than you think.

14. MJH

MJH Companion

Mar 15, 2012

Refer Parents to this site

If you are uncomfortable talking to your parents about this you might have them look at this post. Remember we are all teachers on here telling you to let your parents know. Will they be upset? Yes, but they have a right to be. They will calm down so they can do what is best for you. That's the part of their role of parents, to look out and make sure that the adults in your life treat you with digitny and respect.

15. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 15, 2012

How did it go today?

For what it's worth, you DID post this morning; I responded at about 5:30 am.

16. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Mar 15, 2012

I also posted.

17. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Mar 15, 2012

I'm a parent, and if my daughter was in this situation I would want to know. Actually I would be really upset if i didn't know about this, I would want to help her out in any way I could.
    I would also recommend to talk to someone at school (not the actual teacher), someone you feel comfortable with, and preferably who can do something about this, or refer you to the person who would. And I would suggest to let your parents know.

18. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Mar 15, 2012

As a Mom I would want to know. I probably would go with my child when she talked to the AP or counselor.

19. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Mar 15, 2012

I would say talk to your parents... They should be upset that a teacher did that, but not with you. Parents are there to protect and do what's best for their children...let them. Plus, if someone contacts them it will be better coming from you rather than someone else....

20. Nero

Nero Rookie

Mar 15, 2012

I did go in today, the A.P of Phys Ed. wasn't there today but she will be in tomorrow and blocked out an hour to speak with me. The secretary told and me these things have happened before and that the offending teachers "are no longer with us".
    Because ALL of you felt it neccessary to tell my parents, I spoke with my mother about it, she was upset (at the teacher not me) and angry, but thank God she didn't fall apart or anything. I'm leaving it to her to talk to my father about this.
    It's still up in the air wether or not she will accompany me to the meeting, she wants to come, but I feel it won't be long before I'll have to deal with these things by myself anyway.
    Thank you all for your support, I really appreciate it.
    I will keep you posted on what happens tommarrow.
    The appointment is at 10:00 AM sharp.
    Please wish me luck. This wasn't easy. Thank you all.

-Tristan

21. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Mar 15, 2012

It's wonderful that you told your parents. And also, just think. By reporting this, you will probably save other students from being sexually harassed by this teacher.

You have handled this situation extremely well so far. If you feel that you need the support from your mother, don't hesitate to let her come. It might be easier for you that way. Good luck tomorrow!

22. Nero

Nero Rookie

Mar 15, 2012

I just don't understand why there are some students who say he is just a "goofball".
    Goofballs do things like tell bad jokes, not stuff like this!

23. bison

bison Habitué

Mar 15, 2012

You made the right move and stood up for yourself, which was brave and strong of you. It's really tough to step out of line when all of your peers say one thing but you know it's wrong. Great job, and I hope everything goes okay! As orangetea said, if you feel like it'd help to have the support of your mom when you go in tomorrow, don't hesitate. Whatever makes it easier on you. <3

24. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Mar 15, 2012

It's "goofball" when it doesn't happen to them.

25. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Mar 15, 2012

You did the right thing in telling your mom and I think it would be very good for her to go with you tomorrow - both to support you and peace of mind for her and your dad. If she is there, she can make sure the school is taking this incident as seriously as they should.

We all have to learn increasing responsibility as we grow, but we also have to know when we should take that extra responsibility and when we should share it. There will be plenty of times in your future where it may be best for you to handle a situation on your own....this isn't one of them. There is absolutely nothing wrong in surrounding yourself with as much support as possible.

26. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 16, 2012

I'm so glad you told your mom and made the appointment.

Do your mom a favor, and let her come. Dad too if he can be there.

I know it "won't be long." But you know what?? You're not there yet. Let the system work as its intended to: you're a minor and under the authority of your parents. I can pretty much assure you that your parents will sleep better if they know what's been said, and are in a position to follow up if necessary.

And don't EVER accept anything like "goofball" as an excuse for someone who makes you feel uncomfortable. You're absolutely right-- goofballs tell bad jokes. This guy is not a goofball. He's an adult who knows all about what's appropriate and what's not, and has crossed the line.

You'll be in my thoughts at 10.

27. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 16, 2012

You are handling this in a very mature way. I hope that you do let your mom be there with you. My son is 21, but if he was in the same sort of position you are in, I hope that he would look to me for support.

I'll also be thinking of you at 10:00; let us know later today how everything went.

28. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Mar 16, 2012

Like the others glad you told your mom and let her come. Sometimes it's best for you as well to have a "witness" to what is being said by both you and the AP. I just think of it as more documentation.

Your teacher is not a goofball it what he does makes you uncomfortable. Being goofy should be funny not uncomfortable.

I, along with many other will be thinking of you at 10!!!

29. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Mar 16, 2012

Only inappropriate or hurtful posts risk deletion. This was neither, and we're happy to help in this case.

30. Nero

Nero Rookie

Mar 16, 2012

I met with the A.P. today of the Phys. Ed. department with my mom, but she let me do most of the talking. Things went great. I simply told her what happened, she was very warm and understanding, yet also angry (at the teacher not me) she said that there was a previous (but much more minor complaint against him) and therefor I don't have to worry about ever seeing him again. He will be suspended immediately and (because he is not a full-fledged teacher yet) not brought back next year.
    Unfortunately he may be able to get another job teaching minors. If this happens we have the option of suing, but we're not a very lawsuit-oriented family and I don't relish having to go on the witness stand and relive this, but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.

I can't thank everyone enough for their advice and emotional support.

-Tristan

Last edited: Mar 16, 2012
  31. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 16, 2012

No, not "unfortunately."

VERY fortunately.

I'm glad it went well for you. As hard as it may be to testify, you stopped this man. He won't have access to kids who are afraid to speak up. He won't gain courage from their silence, and decide to push the boundaries even more. You may have done something truely heroic today in getting this "man" away from minors.

Thanks, on behalf of whoever his next victim would have been.

32. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Mar 16, 2012

Applause! That probably was really embarrassing, but remember that you weren't responsible for anything but your own response, which was the proper one. Alice is right that you've probably kept your schoolmates safe from any further (or more serious) shenanigans.

33. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Mar 16, 2012

I'm glad it went well, and I'm also glad this teacher will no longer be able to work with minors. Well done for handling a tough situation so well! You did a wonderful thing by preventing any future harm and by speaking for those who don't have the courage to deal with this.

34. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Mar 16, 2012

Good job, OP.

I think some people are misreading a line in your post:
    He said the teacher may be able to, not "may not"!

35. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Mar 16, 2012

Oh, my apologies. Thanks for pointing that out!
    I really hope he will be unable to get another job with minors. That would be very dangerous.

36. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 16, 2012

I'm sorry; I guess that error was mine. I'm pretty wiped out. It was a long week for a number of reasons.

37. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Mar 16, 2012

Happens to the best of us. I just didn't want OP to take your "very fortunately" comment the wrong way.

38. lovebeingteach

lovebeingteach Companion

Mar 16, 2012

I am just a little confused. Are you a student teacher, or a student. Either way I would tell the principal. This is uncalled for.

39. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Mar 16, 2012

He is a student.

40. Nero

Nero Rookie

Mar 16, 2012

I'm a student, he's a student-teacher, he would have been a Regular teacher next year. He is not going to teach here any more. What the AP said was he could go to Timbuktu or somewhere and get a teaching job, but things look pretty bad for his career.
    Also some of you misunderstand and think I'm a girl, no I'm a guy. Ever heard of the Opera Tristan and Isolde.

-Tristan

41. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Mar 16, 2012

Sorry, I'll edit my post.