Guys - do you wear a tie to school?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by teacherguy111, Aug 5, 2013.

1. teacherguy111

teacherguy111 Cohort

Aug 5, 2013

I am not sure that I have to at my new teaching job... but the kids wear business casual, so I am going to wear a tie everyday, which I will hate lol.

3. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Aug 5, 2013

Only on the first day. Also for Christmas I have a series of Christmas ties I wear.

4. MrTeach11

MrTeach11 Rookie

Aug 5, 2013

I am a new teacher this year but during my student teaching I wore a tie everyday except fridays. I plan to do the same this year.

5. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Aug 5, 2013

Nope, never wear one.

6. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Aug 5, 2013

I spent one year wearing a tie everyday. With our temperatures in Arizona getting as hot as 118 on some August school days, I decided it wasn't going to happen the next year. I still wear ties a minimum of once a week. Other days are dress shirts and dress pants--short sleeved in the hotter months.

7. Ted

Ted Habitué

Aug 5, 2013

I wear ties only a few times a year.

Back-to-School Night (parents involved)
    The last few days before Christmas break...I have a few different festive ties. :)

8. Mr D

Mr D Comrade

Aug 5, 2013

I wear them 3-4 days a week at the beginning of the year, but usually get kind of lazy about it as the year goes on and may only wear them once every week or two. We'll see if that happens this year!

9. Mr.history

Mr.history Cohort

Aug 5, 2013

I plan to wear one every day. I did during student teaching and I think it helped me feel more confidant as a young teacher.

10. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Aug 5, 2013

As a teacher, I wore one every day (except Friday...school spirit t-shirt day).

11. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Aug 5, 2013

I usually wear one Mon-Thurs. We donate to a charity to wear jeans on Fridays, so I don't normally wear a tie then. I don't always wear a tie in the winter, when I wear a lot of sweaters. I just wear a button down shirt under them.

12. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 5, 2013

Most of our male teachers wear a tie. The only one who doesn't is our Ag teacher. Well, plus the PE teacher.

13. Ron6103

Ron6103 Habitué

Aug 5, 2013

I wear one daily, except on Fridays when we have spirit days. Otherwise, shirt-tie for every day. We're asked to do so, but I would likely have done so anyway... I feel more professional, and think students/parents end up viewing and treating me differently when I'm dressed that way.

14. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Aug 5, 2013

By the way, I laughed to myself when I saw the subject of your post, because one of my coworkers tears me apart whenever I don't have a tie on. I made the mistake of saying once that I wear one every day, and she makes it a point to bring it to my attention whenever I don't have one on!

15. Mr. Radiohead

Mr. Radiohead Rookie

Aug 6, 2013

I try to wear a tie at least 1-2 times a week. Not required. A few of our male teachers wear polos, jeans, tennis shoes daily. I only wear a nice pair of denims on Fridays. I think the kids get a kick out of it/appreciate it when I dress up for them.

16. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Aug 6, 2013

I wear one Monday-Thursday, Fridays we dress-down.

17. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Aug 6, 2013

I cannot recall my father ever wearing a tie when he was teaching. Very few of the male teachers did. On the other hand, he is still up to his eyeballs in school shirts and button-down shirts in school colors, and he's been retired for several years.

18. teacherguy111

teacherguy111 Cohort

Aug 6, 2013

Good mix of people that wear them sometimes... or not at all. At my old job I wore one once a week, on chapel day. Sometimes I forgot and got in trouble. lol

19. BookButterfly

BookButterfly Rookie

Aug 6, 2013

My husband almost always wears a tie. In fact, I can't think of a day where he hasn't... He makes a point to get extra dressed up on "casual Friday," pulling out bow ties and vests and whatever else he has in his closet. It's awesome. =)

20. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Aug 6, 2013

One of the perks I take from choosing this profession, is the pleasure of dressing comfortably everyday.

21. kevo2005

kevo2005 Companion

Aug 6, 2013

I only wear ties for ARD meetings. Typically I just wear a polo

22. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Aug 6, 2013

Yes I do but it is part of the male dress code for teachers at my school. However, rebel that I am I have a collection of over 100 ties, all bar two (Weddings and funeral) that are very 'loud' and I wear them in rotation. I even have one of Old Glory with a Bald Eagle motif and another from the Abe Lincoln Museum in Springfield. I have several that are ice hockey based and the whole run of Disney and warner brothers characters.

23. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Aug 6, 2013

If the president was coming how would you dress? Why? Out of respect. Shouldn't we respect our students equally?

That thought made it much easier for me to regularly wear a tie, even when it is 107 outside.

24. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Aug 6, 2013

It shouldn't be a requirement, but I do LOOOVVEEE men in ties. I think it's so classy and so good for our boys to see. :) (And girls, really!)

25. bison

bison Habitué

Aug 6, 2013

Only the P at my school wears ties.

26. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Aug 6, 2013

I'll wear a sportcoat before I'll wear a tie.

I hate ties.

27. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Aug 7, 2013

Men at my school are required to wear a tie every day. Except for the PE teachers.

28. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Aug 7, 2013

Do you also wear a bungie cord instead of a belt? It is much more practical.

29. greendream

greendream Cohort

Aug 7, 2013

If it's all about respect, then why stop there? Why not wear a tuxedo every day?

30. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Aug 7, 2013

It's the culture of the school in general that makes the difference. Where I attended school as well as where I student taught, the dress code was business casual, although some teachers got away with jeans on a regular basis (my mother included). It wasn't a matter of whether or not students were more or less respected, but how the district on the whole decided to differentiate teacher dress from students.

The principal, who was a mentor to me after I graduated until his passing last week, usually were more business than business casual, but he still picked up the trash in the halls and washed the desks if one of the custodians needed the evening off with his family. He also knew the name of every single student in that building, something that came in handy when kids from other schools tried to crash our campus. To him, it was his actions that spoke of his respect for his students. The suit and tie came secondary.

Sorry for the thread hijack. Really missing this gentleman.

31. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Aug 7, 2013

When I was in my Admin mode (getting the degree) I imagined getting the shirts and ties from Lands' End and wearing them often.
    If I taught in the classroom (elem.) I would wear one once a week or so. I grew up when teens were testing boundaries about long hair, bell bottoms, no socks, etc. It was so silly. I had hair to my shoulders as a Sr in HS. My attitude is "if you want me to dress like Wall St. then pay me a fraction of what they make." PE is nice. Shorts and a gator shirt.

32. Reality Check

Reality Check Habitué

Aug 7, 2013

I've never worked at a school that was nice enough, clean enough, or deserved having me wear dress clothes or a tie.

Golf shirt, Khakis, and sneakers for me.

:cool:

33. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Aug 7, 2013

I would not wear a tux to meet the president.

34. ready2learn

ready2learn Comrade

Aug 7, 2013

I agree. There is a whole lot more that shows respect to students than how a teacher dresses. I would much rather have a boss who treats me with respect than who dresses nicely but treats me poorly.

35. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 7, 2013

The men in my building are required to wear a tie. All do, except for the PE teacher.

36. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Aug 7, 2013

Agreed, this is also how I feel about students calling teachers Mr. or Mrs. for "respect".

37. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Aug 7, 2013

I wear them when the mood takes me. Usually I can't take the neck strangling though, and go with a stopwatch which is a more functional neck ornament.

38. bros

bros Phenom

Aug 8, 2013

Since I can't tie a tie, when I have had a supervisor come in during my field experiences, I wear a clip on tie or clip on bow tie.

I wear dress pants, dress shoes, and a dress shirt.