Guiding Readers and Writers - Anyone use?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Mrs.Gould, Jun 26, 2007.

1. Mrs.Gould

Mrs.Gould Comrade

Jun 26, 2007

Anyone use this book? It is basically a guided reading/writing program that focuses on a comprehensive literacy framework (used to be termed "balanced literacy"). The school I was just hired at is changing their reading/writing program to this one. Today was day 2 of a 4 day conference about it. Many teachers are complaining because they have to change what they've always done, however, since I'm new, I don't mind because now I have structure and a plan to go on. Just wondering who uses this and if you do, any tips? By the way, I teach 6th grade and will have an 80 min ELA block.

3. shouts

shouts Companion

Jun 26, 2007

Pretty much everyone in NJ, but I think it skews too young for the average 5th and 6th grader. They get really tired of those crumby little books.

I don't see it do much for writing curriculum - I like Calkins much better.

4. sayuri

sayuri Rookie

Jun 26, 2007

so far i've implemented bits and pieces from Guiding Readers and Writers. I use Step Up to Writing for the writing component. i

5. Gopher4

Gopher4 Comrade

Jun 26, 2007

I teach 4th grade Reading (3 classes) and have based my Reader's Workshop on this book. I love the way they give you the first 21 days of Reader's Workshop to start the year. Very helpful.

6. snowyday

snowyday Rookie

Jun 26, 2007

Guiding readers and writers is basically balanced literacy. I taught 5th and it worked great. I am sure you can make it work for 6th.

7. njeledteacher

njeledteacher Cohort

Jun 26, 2007

I agree, it really helps you set up the workshop for the whole year.

8. njeledteacher

njeledteacher Cohort

Jun 26, 2007

I would say for 6th, you would do more lit circles in reading and the 6 traits writing may be useful for you.

9. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jun 26, 2007

Oh, yeah. :) I LOVE THIS BOOK! However, I have just used bits and pieces. I have balanced this program for my mini-lessons and centers along with Scholastic, other teachers, and my own ideas. Then I set aside 20-30 minutes for Houghton Mifflin everyday, too- because that's a requirement for us in the 90 minute block.

10. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 27, 2007

This year we focussed on building up our guided reading materials for grades 4-6 (and beyond). We have some fabulous non-fiction books on extreme sports, science and nature topics, social studies, the music industry, etc. Over the summer, we are all on the lookout for short articles, comics, etc. that we can add to our guided reading materials.

11. Mrs.Gould

Mrs.Gould Comrade

Jun 27, 2007

I don't have a choice about the program. The new principal is adamant that everyone uses it and is requiring us to do the first 20 days as it is scripted in the book. I don't have a problem with it, however, there is so much information! It seems overwhelming because I also have to think about my 2 science classes and 1 math I'll be teaching as well. We are only focusing on the Reader's Workshop this year - so we are given a 60 min time frame for Reading and then the leftover 20 min for writing! This freaks me out a bit (and most other teachers in my building as well!) In NY we have our ELA state exam in January and writing is a main focus. I'm really interested to see how this all works out! Thanks for all of your responses.

12. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Jun 27, 2007

While you are doing a guided reading lesson, the students you are not working with in group can be working on not only independent reading, but writing as well. I teach 5th grade, and have always used Reader's workshop in my classroom. While I meet with my group (15minutes per group) the rest of my class is working on "centers". Along with independent reading, my students also complete several writing related activites that are turned into me on Friday for evaluation.
    For further help, I highly recommend Laura Candler's website. Just Google it!

13. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Jun 28, 2007

I taught second grade this year and honestly, this book was still a bible to me in setting up my workshop. I used it when I taught 3rd grade as well and it was the most fantastic resource. I agree that I really couldn't live without the first 20 days section. I did skip some of it and suppliment because for second it was a little bit more in depth but still stellar!!!! :)

14. Mrs.Gould

Mrs.Gould Comrade

Jun 28, 2007

I would love to have centers as well, but our principal is not allowing that. She has specific rules about what we are supposed to do, and as a new teacher, I am obviously not going to argue! I'm excited to use this program but I am so overloaded with all the information. I really can't wait to just DO IT and then go from there. It's the thinking that drives me crazy!

15. shouts

shouts Companion

Jun 29, 2007

I just read the daily 5 book and I'm wondering if it's a natural evolution of the reader's workshop. It certainly presents itself as beyond centers. I'm thinking about taking many aspects of it and integrating it with reading logs.

16. snowyday

snowyday Rookie

Jun 29, 2007

I am thinking about getting the daily five book. Can you give us some more info about what it is all about?

17. njeledteacher

njeledteacher Cohort

Jul 2, 2007

I've never heard of it...is that the title?

18. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Jul 2, 2007

I am reading The Daily Five this summer too and hope to implement it this upcoming year. It really is just a way to set up reading workshop etc. in the classroom. A great, user friendly book.

19. njeledteacher

njeledteacher Cohort

Jul 2, 2007

Who are the authors?

20. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Jul 2, 2007

21. njeledteacher

njeledteacher Cohort

Jul 3, 2007

Thanks!