Guided Reading

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by mstnteacherlady, Jul 3, 2008.

1. mstnteacherlady

mstnteacherlady Cohort

Jul 3, 2008

My question of the day (because it seems like I've posted a lot of them lately!):

What does your guided reading look like? Let's forget about centers and whole group instruction for this post. When you meet with your small groups, what do you do? Do you have a routine for the week? Do you do something different each time?

My guided reading last year ended up being a routine. One Monday, we focused on vocabulary and getting familiar with the story (if it was a new story). We discussed the parts of a story, topics, etc. The next three days, we read and did various activities. On Friday, we always played some sort of game that had to do with the vocabulary or the story...something to get their brains moving and to have a little fun.

3. New3rdTeacher

New3rdTeacher Comrade

Jul 3, 2008

What I did was the following:

Monday: Read the new story, answer questions, do vocabulary, do a vocab activity
    Tuesday-Thursday: I did small groups. One group did worksheets related with story, one group worked with me while we read and talked about the story, and another group did mountain language.
    Friday we listened to the story on tape, talked about the vocab and answered all questions. All did well with that :)
    I hope that helps a little

4. mstnteacherlady

mstnteacherlady Cohort

Jul 3, 2008

New3rdTeacher, do you use your weekly story with the small groups? We have a readers that I use for guided reading, so I don't do much with the weekly story outside of the whole group time...unless we're connecting it with another subject that is.

5. RugRats

RugRats Companion

Jul 3, 2008

My routine looks a lot like yours mstnteacherlady. I use leveled reading books. In my small group a typical week looks like:

Monday - Picture read book, talk about what we think it will be about, begin learning the vocabulary
    Tuesday - Thursday - Read the story together each day, talk about the story, activities that focus on vocabulary and area of concern each group is working on (long vowels, short vowels, onset and rime, compounds, rhymes.....).
    Friday - Usually fun activities to wrap up the story and informally assess their vocabulary and area of concern understanding.

6. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jul 3, 2008

Wellllll... half of my reading is centers- so this will be short ;)

Monday- Work with vocabulary, go over skill, picture walk if time
    Tuesday- Begin story (sometimes pairs, sometimes whole group, sometimes individually). Discuss skill, work on something involving skill if time allows.
    Wednesday- Finish story (if we didn't yesterday). Do something involving HOTS (higher order thinking skills), and something involving the skill or vocabulary.
    Thursday- Whole group test review, complete test.
    Friday- Read the second story, and this year I am going to do something w/ writers workshop, and something test-prepish on Fridays.

7. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Jul 3, 2008

I'm kinder, so this might be different... I don't have time to meet with more than one group each day, so I do my "low" group 2 times a week (usually Monday and Thursday), and my "mid" and "high" group once a week. Our books are REALLY short though...so we do a picture walk, go over vocab (usually our high-frequency words), then we read the story together, then we take turns reading a page or two each, then the kids do an activity to go with the book. We have writing instead of guided reading once a week, so it breaks up the monotony.

8. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 3, 2008

I don't have a routine for each day of the week persay because I don't see every group every day. Therefore, although it is not always easy to plan, my kids are always in different spots in different books.

I start every group with a familiar read- they can pick any book out of their book baggie and read it for a few minutes to get their brain ready for reading. Then we talk about what we did the previous day and move into the day's lesson.

I usually start off the book with making predicitons based on the title or pictures. Then we go over vocab. We begin reading the story and as we are reading, we think about the questions and have discussions about things we're wondering. We reread the book another day and do comprehension work or a word skill activity. Finally we do a fun activity related to the book. After I think a group is ready to move to the next level, I do a reading A-Z benchmark book with a quiz and running record.

I have Rigby leveled readers. After each Rigby book, I do a reading A-Z book so the kids can keep those. :)

9. AngelM

AngelM Rookie

Jul 3, 2008

I use the leveled readers that go with the reading series. I meet with the low group 3 times per week (in an ideal week!). The first day we do picture walk, vocab, and read the reader. The second day, we do an activity sheet that focuses on our comprehension skill that goes along with the reader. On the third day, we sometimes reread the reader (or work on a grammar skill, etc.).

By mid-year last year my middle and high groups had steered away from the readers and we were doing chapter books (read/discuss). The high group also worked out of Wordly Wise. We would read the stories/definitions together, discuss them, and then I could assign the pages.

10. queenie

queenie Groupie

Jul 3, 2008

I met with my low group every day, using the readers that came with the Reading series.
    Monday: Building Background Activity, Bookwalk, & Predictions
    Tuesday-Thursday: Read the story (sometimes individually, a few pages at a time and then discuss; sometimes chorally; sometimes popcorn reading) and discuss paying close attention to the skill and strategy of the week
    Friday: Work on some kind of phonics worksheet, vocabulary activity, or game

Sounds like everyone does it about the same. Why did it feel so pointless to me?? Did anyone else feel this way?? Like we kept going over the same strategies and skills and yet the low group still couldn't read fluently or comprehend well?? I'm considering next year working one on one with students or beginning with letter sounds, moving to blends and digraphs, etc. and practicing fluency mostly. I worry that our kids are getting the same things over and over and what they really need is a good phonics foundation...??? Ideas???

11. New3rdTeacher

New3rdTeacher Comrade

Jul 3, 2008

I do short stories like for only 4 weeks and then the rest I do chapter books. I try to prepare them as much as possible for testing.