Guided Reading

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by classemom, Oct 31, 2007.

1. classemom

classemom Rookie

Oct 31, 2007

I do small groups/centers for reading. I try to do guided reading while still using the open court curriculum that we now have. I am a center(Teacher Table)...groups come to me and read. We don't have leveled books, so we are all reading the same thing, is this still considered guided reading?

I guess my question is, do you have to have leveled books to do guided reading? Is what I do guided reading? My principal is investigating guided reading... but the argument from some teachers is that we can't do it because we don't have leveled books and that they do not want to be told to do something that we don't have the materials for....in my point of view....the leveled books are great, but the most important thing is the small group instruction....

3. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Oct 31, 2007

It's guided reading as long as the book is at their level. If they are reading at the level of the basal, then yes, I think it is.

4. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Oct 31, 2007

Guided Reading = kids reading at their own level, either in small groups or one or one (I do one on one)
    Sounds like what you are doing is more Shared Reading, where everyone reads the same book regardless of their level... this is good to expose lower kids to grade level text, from time to time.

5. Teacherella

Teacherella Habitué

Oct 31, 2007

You need to have the groups separated by their reading level. We base the students' reading level on their DRA scores. Sometimes, we'll combine 6 and 8's or other groups that are close in score.

6. Deeena

Deeena Cohort

Oct 31, 2007

I tried to do guided reading last year with my kindergartners. We also had Open Court. I had some students who were reading above the decodable books that were provided by OCR. I subscribed to a website called readinga-z.com. This allowed me to print off books of all different levels. There are even worksheets to go along with the books. The subscription was about $80 for a year. You could always try to go in on the web site with another teacher, or ask the principal if there's money in the budget for it. I thought the site was great alternative since my school also did not have leveled books beyond the OCR.

7. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Oct 31, 2007

I teach Open Court, too. It's not guided reading. I wish we did have leveled readers.:(
    I too, bought materials with my own money.