Guided Reading

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by annafish, Oct 2, 2007.

1. annafish

annafish Companion

Oct 2, 2007

How often does everyone do guided reading? I meet with groups 4 days a week during Center time, but can only do 2 groups a day. I also meet with one group per morning, this alternates. Also, my low students get 30 minutes of direct reading instruction/guided reading by a reading teacher daily, but I hear other teachers at my school say that they meet with every group every day. I would love to do this obviously, but there doesn't seem to be a way? Just curious what others did.

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 2, 2007

This is how I worked my groups.
    Mon-intro centers for week
    Tue-Groups A B C D
    Wed-Groups A B C
    Thur- Groups A B D
    Fri-Groups A B C D(discuss book, turn in)

4. MissHunny

MissHunny Comrade

Oct 7, 2007

I also have 4 groups, we'll call them A B C D (from low to high readers). I meet with A and B every day for 25 minutes. C 4 times a week for about 20 min, and D only on Friday for 20 minutes. D gets enrichment instruction from the reading teacher 2 other days of the week. So every group is being meet with at least 3 times a week.

5. mrs100

mrs100 Comrade

Oct 9, 2007

I have four groups this year, and I meet with the lowest group 3 times (mon, wed, fri). My schedule looks like this (my guided reading lessons are 20 minutes long). A is the highest, D is the lowest.
    Mon- A D
    Tues - B C
    Wed - A D
    Thurs - B C
    Fri - C

6. kate2

kate2 Rookie

Oct 13, 2007

how long is your guided reading block? I have 4 groups, but one of my groups (below level) leaves for reading support for 45 minutes each day. I feel I never have the chance to have them read with me. Currently, we meet as a whole class first for a phonics or spelling lesson. Then we break into our guided reding groups and this is when one group leaves me. By the time they get back, we have to fit in writing and then it's time for lunch. Any ideas on scheduling????

7. mom&teacher

mom&teacher Companion

Oct 13, 2007

We do walk to read, so my kids are all at the same level and we do guided reading everyday!

8. mrs100

mrs100 Comrade

Oct 14, 2007

My district requires that if we have a student who is low and receives reading support help, they must have guided reading help in the classroom also. I have a 50 minute block for guided reading. I meet with each group for 25 minutes. So each group sees me at least twice a week, lowest group sees me three times.

9. awp0718

awp0718 Rookie

Oct 15, 2007

So far I have only been able to fit in 2 a day, but that is because my students are not independent in Buddy Study yet. Once they do that a center, we'll be like this:
    Mon ABC
    Tues ABD
    Wed ABC
    Thurs ABD
    Fri ABC

10. JennH1213

JennH1213 Companion

Oct 15, 2007

I would love to start something like this. It just sounds difficult with scheduling. What does everyone have the other groups do while you're reading with the others? Just curious!

11. annafish

annafish Companion

Oct 16, 2007

I am finally getting to read with most groups daily. At the very least they get guided reading 3 times a week. The low group also gets reading instruction for a half hour daily. So they get guided reading at least 8 times a week!

Jenn-The other groups are doing independent learning centers. I have four groups.
    Examples:
    Group A: Guided Reading
    Group B: Computer Work
    Group C: Writing Center
    Group D: ABC Center-Working on spelling words with magnentic letters

Those are just really general examples of work they may be doing.

12. cheeryteach2

cheeryteach2 Rookie

Oct 17, 2007

I was wondering the same thing because there is no way i can do a good guided reading lesson seeing every group a day for the time slot i have for guided reading. so this is how i do it.
    I have five groups.
    Monday - group 1 and 2
    Tuesday - group 3 and 4
    Wednesday - group 1 and 2
    Thursday - group 3 and 4
    Friday - group 1 and 2
    then the next week i will see group 3 and 4 three times, and group 1 and 2 twice.

13. MissHunny

MissHunny Comrade

Oct 17, 2007

My reading time is long...I manipulated snack and math time to give me about 80 min just for reading (not writing- that gets 45 min in the morning). First thing we do is "read to self". The ideas behind my read to self time were taken from The Daily Five (great book). The kids eat snack while they do read to self and this is when I pull my lowest reading group for 25 min. Once I am done with that group, I ding the bell and the kids come to the carpet for our whole group reading lesson. We use the hougton mifflin program so I do anything from story elements, connections, fluency, grammar, whatever at this time for about 15 min. Then stundets go off to thier seats to work on a "to-do" list. They will complete read comprehension activites, spelling pages, phonics pages, and sometimes handwriting. The list usually has about 5 pages on it. once they finish their list they go off to independent work "centers". I call them centers, but they never really change. they are general literacy activites such as listening center, big books, read to a stuffed animal, magnet letter, write the room, word sorts, etc. During to do list and center time I pull 2 more guided groups. Therefore reading is from 10:50-12:20 and 3 groups are met with. Hope this helps!