Guided Reading

Discussion in 'Fourth Grade' started by NC Teacher 4, Sep 14, 2007.

1. NC Teacher 4

NC Teacher 4 Rookie

Sep 14, 2007

Hello,

I'm sitting here on a Friday evening working on Lesson Plans, and I need help with Guided Reading. I have four groups, and I use the Leveled Readers that come with the Houghton Mifflin Reading series. There's no getting around this. :(

So, I have to plan for four groups that I have to meet with everyday. No getting around this either.:(

I've asked around school about Guided Reading, and either I'm not getting it or it wasn't explained to me where I processed it correctly. :confused: I suppose Guided Reading means I'm Guiding their Reading, but how exaclty?

What do I do with each group in fifteen minutes? How do I plan?:help: Can someone share what they do during Guided Reading?

I'm starting Monday and would like some ideas to mull around in my head this weekend. Since I can only use the Leveled Readers and nothing else, as I sit looking at this little book, I'm stuck as to how I can break it down into five days.

Also, since I have to give a weekly Reading assessment on the Anthology story, should I also give an assessment on the Leveled Reader? i'm thinking it's too much for a fourth grader to handle.

Another thought I just had. Is anything graded during Guided Reading? If so, what kinds of things do you grade?

Thanks in advance for your help:)

NC Teacher 4

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 14, 2007

What I did in my guided reading groups (2nd graders) was focus on a particular skill in the book.
    Here are some activities that I did: We used the title/cover to predict what was going to happen, wrote them down, read the book went back to see our predictions.
    Read a book, folded paper into threes and drew/wrote a sentence for beginning,middle,end.
    On nonfictional texts, I would ask a question that was answered in the book (ie, how many gallons of water does a camel drink in a year), they write their answers on post-its and then hand them to me, we talk about the book, they read it and stop when they got to the answer to the question.
    I've also used the nonfictional text to ask what they already knew about that subject, then when we were finished reading it I would ask what was one thing new they learned about the subject.

I hope this is what you were looking for.

4. teach57

teach57 Comrade

Sep 16, 2007

If you are doing Guided Reading, I would HIGHLY recommend the following book:

Guiding Readers and Writers: Teaching Comprehension, Genre, and Content Literacy by Irene C. Fountas, Gay Su Pinnell

This book has TONS of ideas of how to implement and continue through your guided reading. It also has tons of tips on a variety of things you might encounter. Trust me! This is a must have if you are doing Guided Reading.

5. marc92647

marc92647 Rookie

Sep 16, 2007

Usually in Guided Reading you choose one of the 4-5 students to focus on. You then choose a strategy that you want that student to aquire or better is that he is about to aquire for example, self-monitoring. You then plan the 15 minute lesson around that student. You try to remove all difficulties that that student might have with the text so that he is only faced with self monitoring. Then as all the students take turn reading you point out and focus on prompts that guide students towards monitoring their own reading. Your goal is to push students to aquire the strategies to read independently. You try to focus on 1 student and only 1 strategy per lesson. Some strategies are self-monitoring, self correcting, using visual clues,...etc.

6. NC Teacher 4

NC Teacher 4 Rookie

Sep 16, 2007

Thanks for all the responses.

Marc: What you say makes sense, but I've a question for you. While I'm focusing on that one student, what are the other students doing? The same skill I know, but without my help?

Teach: I have the book you speak of, not sure of which edition. Any suggestions on where to start with it?

NCTeacher4

7. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Sep 16, 2007

I think what Marc meant was you look at the group, and each week, choose a skill a different kid needs help with. Then you teach to the entire group. You keep the 4 kids together, but the skill that week is self-monitoring. The next week, maybe another kid needs help with context clues, so you focus on that with the whole group. This is in each small group- not whole group. You will have a lesson for the week to plan for each group. Not all shcools will let you do this. At my last school, there was a skill of the week that everyone worked on, regardless. You had to use that skill in the guided reading and pick the leveled readers according to the skill.

For the week:

Monday- make predictions based on the cover, blurb on the back (if there) table of contents and picture walk. Read the first section of the book (either you aloud or them silently) stopping to work on that strategy you are working on.

Tuesday- Continue to read the leveled reader. Stop and discuss periodically. Look at vocabularly and ask questions as they read. Have the kids read silently, then listen to one child read quietly to you as the others read on their own. Circle the group so that you can hear each child read. After they have read the section, you can have a child go back and read a part aloud if it answers a question, or works to illustrate a strategy, etc.

Wednesday/Thursday- Continue to read the leveled reader with the group, stopping often to discuss strategies, vocab, content of the story, etc.

Thursday or Friday- Have them read the book to a partner, looking for something specific in the story- answering a critical question. I usually have them fill out a graphic organizer of some kind. Come back to them and have them discuss what they found.

Friday- if you finish on Thursday instead of Friday, I usually planned something fun in connection to the story, or some extension of the story. If it was fiction, we would read a short non-fiction piece about something in the fiction book. (If the book was about kids on an archeological dig, we would the read about archeology on Friday.) If the book was non-fiction, perhaps about some animal, we would then read some poetry or fiction about the same animal, a fable or a poem usually works best, as fables explain things often talked about factually in non-fiction texts.

I don't use leveled readers at the school I am at now, but this is what I did when I had them. I found in 4th grade the books were generally meant to last a week. Only my hiest groups would get through it in less than a week.

And I would NOT assess on the leveled reader as well. I think it seems like too much. If you are reading with them, you will be able to see how they are doing. They don't need a test on the leveled reader if they are already being tested on an anthology, in my opinion.

8. NC Teacher 4

NC Teacher 4 Rookie

Sep 17, 2007

Littleschool, thanks for breaking it down like that for me. I guess the hardest part is getting to know these students and knowing what they can accomplish in fifteen minutes.

NCTeacher4

9. Caman

Caman New Member

Sep 23, 2007

Another suggestion: Go online and look for Pat Cunningham's 4 Block activities for guided reading. They are wonderful and fit into any curriculum. I ususally don't test on the leveled books - just use the anthology tests that are a part of the series to keep everything in line with what the other teachers are testing but I do make activites for the leveled books.

10. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Sep 23, 2007

There are some good ideas above, but I think your school is being very rigid in requiring only the use of your leveled readers 5 days per week!! My higher groups can often cruise through the material in a day or two, and then I do something else with them.

11. NC Teacher 4

NC Teacher 4 Rookie

Sep 23, 2007

Guided Reading Update

Well, I've gotten through the week with Guided Reading, and I can't say I was entirely thrilled with the results. I'm still learning my students and what they can and cannot accomplish in fifteen minutes.

I did observe two things. My two high groups will finish most likely before Wednesday and my two low groups won't even finish by Friday.

Missy: Since you say your high group is finishing within a day or two, what are some other things you are doing with them during the week?

If I had my way, I wouldn't meet with every group every day, but there's no getting around that. As it was told to me, just because a student is Academically Gifted, doesn't mean they don't need the teacher's attention also. But 15 minutes per group just isn't enough time.

I trudge on,

NCTeacher4

12. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Sep 23, 2007

We read other materials (sometimes on the same topic, sometimes not), discuss independent reading, work on advanced writing skills - anything to keep them moving ahead.

13. stac4742

stac4742 Rookie

Sep 23, 2007

Thank you so much for breaking this down for us by the activities done each day. You're awesome!