Guided Reading

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by NC Teacher 4, Sep 2, 2007.

1. NC Teacher 4

NC Teacher 4 Rookie

Sep 2, 2007

Could someone please share a guided reading lesson with me for fourth grade? What exactly am I to do with a leveled group for five days?

Thanks

3. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Sep 2, 2007

Our school uses a lot of science leveled readers and goes through comprehension strategies with groups that pertain to the content in the readers. Maybe just in the beginning, focus on something like text features and then move to other skills like QAR.

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 2, 2007

I did this with my 2nd graders and I'm sure that you could tweak it to meet 4th grade needs. The first day I would introduce the text. Activate prior knowledge about what they know already know about the topic. We might read through the text or a little bit of the text that first day. The second day we would review what we learned in the text and continue reading. You might come across some vocabulary that needs to be gone over. The third day might be a review of the book. Find out if there is anything new about the topic that the students learned. I met with my lowest group 4 days a week, then my next two highest levels 3 days a week, and my highest group 2 days a week. I hope this helps!

5. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Sep 2, 2007

My schedule is similar to smalltowngal's...the first day I introduce vocab words, we make predictions, etc. The second day is usually when we get into reading the story. The third day we review the story and do a little word work. The 4th day we do comprehension skills related to the book and the 5th day we do an extension activity. I also start each meeting with a familiar read, where the kids pick a book out of their baggie of books and they read silently to "get their brains ready for reading". Good luck!

6. Pattie

Pattie Companion

Sep 3, 2007

For 4th grade you will probably be using chapter books. I'd have kids predict before reading one chapter a day. Then have them read, marking words they don't know on a little yellow sticky and put page numbers. Then ask them to come up with one question they had while reading "I wonder why..." or else make a connection to anyone in the story "I had the same thing happen to me when..."
    Then go over the words together and have kids all reread for context clues in the sentence word is found in, from their yellow stickies. Then ask a few questions yourself. I used to read along with them and jot down 4 questions (recall and inference questions) and then I knew who needed more comprehension practice, or who wasn't truly reading! You've just done a mini literature circle.
    Faster finishers I'd give a small pile of flashcards in 2 grades up level. They loved that! This is all done at your reading table in a small, homogeneous group of readers.