Guided Reading

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by BethG, Jul 10, 2007.

1. BethG

BethG Rookie

Jul 10, 2007

I'm starting my 16th year teaching (11th year in 4th grade), so I was never formally instructed on guided reading. What I have read on my own often leads me to think it's most appropriate for primary grades. Any thoughts? Any good resources for me to check out to see how to best implement it in the fourth grade?

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 10, 2007

I am reading Guiding Readers and Writers Grades 3-6 right now. It is excellent. Guided reading is not at all just for primary. The section in the text begins, "Guided reading is an instructional setting that enables you to work with a small group of students to help them learn effective strategies for processing text with understanding." You probably already do that in one way or another.

4. Mrs.Gould

Mrs.Gould Comrade

Jul 10, 2007

I second Upsadaisy! I was just trained for a week on that program and I'm a 6th grade teacher. Actually, the 7th and 8th grade ELA teachers were a part of the training as well and are going to use the program as well, however, they have to adapt since they don't have the longer block for Reader's and Writer's Workshop. I will have a 90 min ELA block where I will start with a mini-lesson and hopefully have two guided reading groups a day. Or one guided reading group and one Lit. circle. I am also lucky that I have an AIS teacher in with me most days and she will take the lowest group.

5. BethG

BethG Rookie

Jul 10, 2007

Is Guiding Readers and Writers the name of a book? Do you have an author? And, yes, I do implement that to some extent now, but there's always room for improvement! I tried signing up for a workshop for teaching guided reading for 4-8 grade but it booked up so fast I couldn't get in!

6. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jul 10, 2007

The book is called Guided Readers and Writers and it is by Fountas and Pinnell. It is an awesome resource if you are looking to start guided reading--it even includes lesson plans for the first 20 days.

7. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 10, 2007

It also lists 1000 books and their levels.

8. BethG

BethG Rookie

Jul 11, 2007

I know of Fountas & Pinnell!! I'll check out the book- Thank you!!!

9. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Jul 11, 2007

I have taught at the 4th and 5th grade level for 9 years, and I have always used guided reading. Guided Readers and Writers 3-6 is my bible. Over the years I have adapted it to meet the needs of my students, so I do not do guided reading in the purest form, but I have seen so much improvement in my students. I find it easier to plan as well. I also have the Leveled Books-the companion book to the Guided Readers and Writers. It contains 18,000 titles, if your school is interested in purchasing it!

10. BethG

BethG Rookie

Jul 12, 2007

My school's a little "crazy" right now! I'm supposed to be teaching a story per week out of our basal series and incorporating the leveled readers that accompany it through guided reading. The quantity of leveled readers I have is not enough to supply the number of students I have. That's just one of the reasons I feel like I need to find more/ better information on guided reading to really make it successful in my situation. I'm feeling pretty positive with the resources I've learned about already!

11. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jul 12, 2007

Is there any way you could buddy up with another teacher on the same grade level and share leveled readers? One could do them on certain days of the week, another on other days. Or if your reading classes are at different times, you could switch them during the day.

12. BethG

BethG Rookie

Jul 17, 2007

I think (but do not know for sure) that there are so many of us quietly NOT using the leveled readers, it should be very easy to do!

13. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 17, 2007

I'm trying to figure out how to use my basal as well as my own books for guided reading in 3rd.

14. collteach

collteach Comrade

Jul 17, 2007

I still don't feel comfortable with guided reading. I have read the Fountas and Pinnell book, another about guided comprehension, plus taken 2 graduate level courses on guided reading...but I just don't feel like I am doing it "right". I don't have a wide selection of materials, and I find that using the novels that we are required to read tends to take FOREVER. I know I can use just bits and pieces of the novel for the guided reading, but I have trouble keeping everyone focused. We have a basal, but honestly, it is ancient and the levels of the stories do not seem to vary at all.

I have brought home all of my guided reading information this summer and HOPE to have a good plan in place. Even what I have been doing has really helped me kids, all but 2 showed at least a year's growth this past school year!

15. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jul 17, 2007

Depending on which basal you use, there may be a guide that tells you the level of each story (I know Houghton-Mifflin does). Then match up the groups level to an appropriate story in the basal and use it. You may have to borrow some basals from a year or so behind you if you have really low students.
    Try to think of guided reading the same way you would teach a whole class lesson, just to a smaller group of students and the reading is on their level.

16. c_muschany

c_muschany Rookie

Jul 17, 2007

Hi, I am only a second year teacher, but I went to a seminar on guided reading and it was with a teacher/author named Patricia Pavelka. She was amazing. She gave so many wonderful ideas on how to manage guided reading. She talked about everything and in detail. There are a total of five groups and you rotate them so that you always work with your lowest group each day. The other four rotate from centers to either background group or guided reading with the teacher. She gave wonderful ideas for centers to use and discussed how the entire block lasted 60 min. I think it is going to be a wonderful program to use. I wish I could explain it all to you, but if you find her book, I am sure it would definitely be worth your time and effort.

17. njeledteacher

njeledteacher Cohort

Jul 18, 2007

I would love to see Pat Pavelka's ideas in action. I don't quite get how the background groups work. It seems good in theory, but not sure how practical her system is.

18. c_muschany

c_muschany Rookie

Jul 18, 2007

Well, the background group is a group of no more than six students. They are in the teachers sight, but working as a group with a reading box or a discussion box depending on their reading level. I have the book that was given with the seminar and it explains it very well. I am already preparing the boxes. I think once it is going, it will be a great system. I do think it will take some time to get it going and get the students self sufficient in the process, but I am very excited about the potential of it. I will let you all know later in the year how it is working for me. My mentor teacher is also going to be implementing it and I will forward her results as well.

Cindy