guided reading

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Mrs_Barrett, Dec 12, 2006.

1. Mrs_Barrett

Mrs_Barrett Cohort

Dec 12, 2006

I don't teach kindergarten, but I have in the past. When I did, I had guided reading in my classroom. I was just wondering how many classrooms actually have some form of guided reading in their classroom. We have some issues with that at my school, because the teachers feel it is inapporpriate for kindergarteners to be reading. :eek:

3. TXTCHR29

TXTCHR29 Cohort

Dec 12, 2006

We have Guided Reading at my school. I have done it in Kindergarten for the past 5 years.This year I started with about half of my class right after Labor Day (we started school on August 9th) and started with the rest of my kids who were still learning letters and sounds in the middle of October. At this point in the year I have 4 students who are on a Guided Reading level B, 8 students working on a C, 4 students on a D and 4 students on an E. The goal at our school is to have students leave kindergarten on a DRA level 6.

I have seen huge improvements with my class this year because I started groups so early in the year. The kids LOVE coming to their reading groups and taking their books home to read to their parents! We also do A LOT of interactive/shared reading and writing.(We also DO NOT do letter of the week, its not allowed in my district. We teach all letters together and in real context of stories, writing, etc.) All of my students can write simple sentences and half are starting to write detailed, compound sentences, simple stories and responses to read alouds. We also have a great Phonics program by Fountas and Pinnell that is very effective.

Not all students are always ready to read in kindergarten, but you would be amazed at what a lot of the kids can do if they are exposed to the reading and writing early!

4. MrsMikesell

MrsMikesell Cohort

Dec 13, 2006

I am a firm believer of guided reading in Kinder for students who are ready. If they are not ready to read, they should still be pulled for skill groups.

You might want to share this article I wrote on guided reading with them. They might be wary because they think it is difficult.......... but it isn't.

Guided Reading in Kindergarten?

Kelly :)

5. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Dec 13, 2006

We have guided reading here as early as PreK. No, I'm not teaching my PreK kids to "read," but we work on print-awareness and book handling skills...things like where the title is and counting words on a page. And numerous other things that my kids don't automatically KNOW just because they've never been read to. I think guided reading has a place in every PreK and K classroom...the inappropriateness comes in when the focus skills that are chosen for practice are above the level of the kids.
    Kim

6. totallybusy

totallybusy Rookie

Dec 13, 2006

I believe guided reading for those who are ready is perfect. My daughter was ready for reading in Kindergarten and her teacher did an excellent job engaging her in it even though most in the class were still working at letters and pre reading skills. Now she is in grade 1 and reading above grade level. However unfortunately this years teacher teaches the curriculum for grade 1 and will not go beyond. In Kindergarten my daughter covered 68 sight words. Now she is in grade1 and she has 5 sight words a week. The same ones she had in Kindergarten, even though this was made clear to the teacher all students must get the same words. However, we smile and at home we will continue plunging ahead with guided reading activities for her level. I sing praises to all you teachers that push kids further if they are capable of doing more than the prescribed curriculum. As a teacher I do know however that we all must follow state curriculum and sometimes it is in less than ideal classrooms and this can be quite a challenge. Some teacher strive to go beyond others don't.

7. Teacher13

Teacher13 Rookie

Dec 13, 2006

We have guided reading... I do it EVERYDAY. We are required to. All kindergartens should be reading!!! what state are you in>??

8. KdgtnCop

KdgtnCop Rookie

Dec 13, 2006

We have guided reading as well.........depending upon the level (determined by an initial DRA) some children are 3X a week, others are 2X a week, some are 1X per week. It's in addition to a 120 minute "Literacy Block" that is mandatory.

9. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Dec 14, 2006

I do guided reading with my reading groups as well. I can't believe there are still people who are not pushing Kinders to read. The goal set by our school reading is 30 words per minute by the end of Kinder since they have to read 60 words per minute by the end of
    1st Grade. We start testing their fluency in February/March. I don't know what else you would do with them all year if they weren't working on reading skills.

10. Mrs_Barrett

Mrs_Barrett Cohort

Dec 14, 2006

I teach in Iowa. I think the biggest problem we have at my school, is the inexperience with reading. They are both vetern teachers, but lack taking classes to improve teaching.