Guided Reading

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by busybee, Sep 20, 2006.

1. busybee

busybee Rookie

Sep 20, 2006

Hi,
    I am in my second year of teaching (1st grade this year). With guided reading groups, do you use leveled readers? Because one of my co-workers uses the story from the reading series with her groups. So all students are reading the same story for whole group lessons and guided reading groups. In a way, I can see that her way would be beneficial, so the students are familiar with the story and can really master it. But I thought the books were supposed to be leveled? What way do you feel is more appropriate? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!
    Thanks!

3. Rosieo

Rosieo Enthusiast

Sep 20, 2006

I do both. However, my first priority is leveled readers for each group. Towards the end of the week I have the children use the story from the reading series, but only after we have worked in the leveled books.

4. teacherece

teacherece Cohort

Sep 22, 2006

If she's using just reading series, it's not true guided reading. GR involves assessing and guiding child's reading level with leveled books. We are implementing it this year. I just finished running records for my students to find their levels. Each group of similar level will read with me a few days each week and rotate from centers, etc. Will also use our basal to introduce on mon. and then reinforce through centers (listening, etc) THis way, when we grade children in reading it is at their level. Those basals are geared to high students, not all.

5. herins

herins Companion

Sep 22, 2006

I agree with teacherece. Guided reading materials should be new to the student, and only slightly above their independent level.

6. MandaNicole01

MandaNicole01 Habitué

Sep 22, 2006

The whole point of guided reading is that students receive instruction on THEIR level! NOT the basal level!!! I say, go with the leveled books. Students should be able to read guided reading books with 90-94% accuracy...this is the instructional level! We also send home the leveled books nightly, after you have read them in small groups. The kids love the new stories every night! Many students cannot read the basal independently anyways. For others, the basal isn't even a challenge! Another reason I wouldn't use the basal for guided reading is that is BORING!!! You are doing a story a week from the basal for regular instruction, do something else for level groups. :) I just had to write a paper for my masters on this...research shows that students who read a variety of books do better than students who read the same story over and over and over! More books, more words, more exposure! Just a thought!:)

7. hfinley

hfinley Rookie

Sep 25, 2006

I group my students by similar levels. 4 groups/5 students each. These groups are usually on different levels. We use the Scott Foresman series. We read the story together in class. They read it again for homework and then we re-read it again the next day. (other activities included ofcourse) I've always heard a lot of research saying there should be multiple readings of the same text to build fluency. I've also heard many times that easier text is best. You do not want to discourage a young reader..., another thing I do is I have a reading hut with many books in it. I feel it is important for a child to choose self-selected reading materials. I hated reading while growing up b/c I was always forced to read text I had no interest in.

8. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Sep 25, 2006

I agree with the above posts. In our reading series, we have leveled readers as well as the weekly basil story for the entire group. I am almost done with our state testing and can start guided reading groups, probably next week. I will use the leveled readers and have the kids do literacy center activities while I meet with groups.

9. dbcteacher

dbcteacher Rookie

Sep 27, 2006

What tool does everyone use to determine the levels for the guided reading?

10. darkangel

darkangel Companion

Sep 28, 2006

my school uses DRAs

11. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Sep 28, 2006

We use DRAs as well. We also have dibels and fluency booklets.

12. ashley57

ashley57 Comrade

Sep 28, 2006

I look at running records (intermediate uses lexiles)...dibels play in, but for the most part, dibels confirm what the running record says.

I, too, think that guided reading needs to be more than just your shared reading story, BUT I also think it is critical to have a familiar read as part of your GR session. Familiar reads will build confidence and fluency. I don't usually use the shared reading story for this (ours is Harcourt), but I will find something the children have read before.

As for instruction, I like the leveled readers because they follow the same focus skills/strategies and words (vocab, high frequency) as we are already working on.....BUT they can be dull, so I try to mix my groups up with other stories/word work/etc.

13. katydid205

katydid205 Companion

Sep 29, 2006

Guided Reading books should be on their individual instructional reading level. When i say "instructional" i mean about a level above their independent level. We test our students by using a DRA. I don't believe that you should be doing any GR with books that students are not able to read and comprehend. I use the class book for my shared reading. The skills i am teaching during shared reading are the same skills i will reinforce and teach during GR. So the same skills are being taught all week long (usually for 2-3 weeks).