Guided Reading

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by kitkat1430, Sep 7, 2006.

1. kitkat1430

kitkat1430 New Member

Sep 7, 2006

Does anyone do Guided reading with Kindergarten. I am a 1/2 day program and my school wants this implemented. How do you do it?:thanks:

3. TXTCHR29

TXTCHR29 Cohort

Sep 9, 2006

I do Guided Reading with my Kinders and have for the past 6 years. Your school wants Guided Reading implemented, so I'm assuming you have a Literacy Library with leveled books? I'm amazed at schools who expect teachers to teach Guided Reading but don't have leveled books for the students/teachers to use!!

Anyway....one of the first things you need to do is set up Literacy Workstations (ABC, poetry, pocket chart, writing, words, listening, etc.) so that the rest of the class is busy while you are teaching reading. I have five groups for stations with 4-5 students per group. You want to spend the first few weeks explaining, modeling and monitoring stations, so that students know what to do and can be independent. I do not allow students to come talk to me while I'm working with a group. (Check out the books Guided Reading by Fountas and Pinnell, Literacy Workstations by Debbie Diller) When students have been working well in stations for a few weeks and have the routine down, then you can start pulling your Guided Reading groups.

To divide your groups you will organize students by their abilities and individual needs. I have already started Guided Reading with over half of my class because they already know their letters and sounds, beginning sounds, rhyming, etc and are ready to read. I currently have 3 Guided Reading Groups and 2 groups who are working on learning letters and sounds.(as the year progresses I may have to add another group to meet my students needs)When meeting with your groups you will pull your lowest students 4-5 days a week, average students 3 days a week and highest students 2 days a week. When you start your groups you will most likely start with a level A. These books have a very simple pattern and is heavily supported by the picture. Your goal with levels A-C are to get students to; read left to right, point 1:1, pick up the pattern, "read" the picture cues, identify simple sight words. As the year progresses the levels of the books gradually move away from patterns and requires students to use their strategies; look for chunks, get your mouth ready, does that make sense, sound right, look right, etc. Your groups will constantly change througout the year. You will use data you collect from running records to determine when students are ready to move to the next level

Each time I meet with a group I do; familar rereading (each group has a book basket of books we've read in group), a running record (I rotate students and only do 1 running record per group per day. I pull three groups a day, so I do a total of 3 running records a day.), word/phonics work (usually a game that helps the kids work on rhyming, beginning/ending sounds, word families, sight words, etc), then I introduce the new book by discussing what the book is about, and doing a picture walk, helping students with words they may have difficulty with. Then all students read the book at the same time. Students read at their own pace, do not do round robin reading! We then discuss the book and may do a quick writing activity. This all takes about 20 mins.

I feel like I rambled, hope this was somewhat helpful! Good Luck!

4. diro.pams

diro.pams Companion

Sep 9, 2006

Our brilliant school board has decreed that we can't conduct guided reading any longer!! They think it is a curriculum program versus an approach. Right now our district is in "School Improvement" due to test scores. So our district has to live more strictly by our state adopted curriculum. Somehow our leaders think using guided reading will conflict with that. (sigh!) We just call the techniques by other educational names (ha!)

5. Sheila

Sheila Comrade

Sep 9, 2006

So, instead of calling it guided reading you call it small group instruction time and continue with guided reading. I can not imagine a district where they would not consider it beneficial.