guided reading

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by diggerdeb, Apr 17, 2015.

1. diggerdeb

diggerdeb Comrade

Apr 17, 2015

Our principal wants to see a guided reading lesson in preschool.
    (PPPLLEEAASSEE do not tell me it is not appropriate. I know that it is not developmentally right for my 4 yr. olds. ) But I like my school and I am required to do what they ask.

Now, please help me. What do you think a guided reading lesson would look like? sound like?

Your help would greatly be appreciated!:help:

3. hatima

hatima Devotee

Apr 19, 2015

http://www.heidisongs.com/blog/2012/09/how-to-do-guided-reading-with-children.html

I just found the above site. It might be helpful.

Since preschool is preliteracy skills I would create (or find) books with one letter or word on each page. The picture should match the word/letter. Maybe an alphabet, shape, or number book.

My preschoolers (developmental prek) have made a book called "shape monster." We read it many times together. They can "read it" to eachother. We also just made "I like (flavor) icecream." books.

I used to teach guided reading for grades 1st to 4th. Most of my students were very low readers. Many were preacademic level.

4. UditGanguly

UditGanguly Rookie

Apr 29, 2015

Doing guided reading with emergent readers (children that are not yet really reading) is not hard once you have a few tricks up your sleeve. I have always done guided reading groups in Kindergarten, whether or not my students were able to actually “read” in the technical sense. There are many vital skills that emergent readers can learn from a lesson in guided reading, too! You are probably already doing many of these things with your students already, and just didn't know that these things could actually fall under the umbrella of a guided reading lesson.

5. alanabrown15

alanabrown15 Rookie

May 8, 2015

Guided reading is the best practice of teaching at preschool. By using this technique children understand concepts more quickly.