Guided Reading

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by kindergartenk, Jul 24, 2012.

1. kindergartenk

kindergartenk New Member

Jul 24, 2012

Hello! I can't believe the summer is almost gone already! I am ready to get back into the classroom though! :)

I am looking to see what other kindergarten teachers do for guided reading. My school does not have a reading curriculum or resource specific books to use for certain topics. Are there any good websites or curriculum out there?! HELP! I'm desperate!

3. lbradley1718

lbradley1718 Comrade

Jul 29, 2012

I'm not sure about the main curriculum, but for something supplemental my kindegartners last year loved Starfall.com! I gave them individual computer time and then many times I would do it on the Smart Board and they loved it.

4. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 29, 2012

I don't know if you are willing to spend money or if maybe your school will purchase something for you, but 2 things popped into my head:

I really like the leveled readers from Reading A-Z-it's a membership site, but you can print out/download readers to use for your guided reading-make copies. I paid for the membership one time and printed out all the stories. They are actually really interesting-science/social studies not like the typical "The cat is on the mat".

I think Scholastic sells sets as well-sometimes they have good sales.

5. russiansage

russiansage Rookie

Jul 29, 2012

Is there any way you can get a hold of some leveled books through Scholastic? I think as far as kindergarten kids are concerned you don't need just books but phonics excercises, word sorts , etc...

I wouldn't worry too much until you've assessed where your students are. Kindy is such a plethora of abilities.

I will be teaching kindergarten for the first time this year as well but have taught preschool.

As you know Kindy GR doesn't fall into place for a few weeks. Just have some 15-20 minute activities they can do, that center around phonics, letter recogniton. and phonemic awareness .

For those that are almost reading I've been creating centers from Mailbox activities. I am in a district where the resources are limited, but want to make sure I have enough to do with my kiddos.

Do you hav an aide? That can make a difference.

6. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Aug 5, 2012

Jessica Meacham has a ton of free info and resources about guided reading here. I also recommend the Guided Reading book by Fountas & Pinnell.