Guided Reading: What to teach?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Haley Kraemer, Jul 18, 2016.

1. Haley Kraemer

Haley Kraemer Rookie

Jul 18, 2016

Okay, so I understand the management of guided reading and the structure of each guided reading lesson. How do I choose a focus? How long should I stay on a particular skill? A week? Until they have mastered it? I plan to use Jan Bengal's benchmark assessment. What do I consider when making this decision? And how do I collect this data initially at the beginning of the school year? As a first year teacher, is there a suggested year long plan I can follow until I get the hang of it?

Jen Bradshaw and LiteratorJeff like this.
  3. mkbren88

mkbren88 Cohort

Jul 18, 2016

You should stick with the skill until your students can demonstrate mastery. I'm not familiar with that benchmark assessment, but if they have a pre-assess, I'd begin with that. Your district may also have district assessments they administer that can be used for beginning of year data.

LiteratorJeff likes this.
  4. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 18, 2016

What grade will you be teaching?
    Your curriculum should give you topics to focus on.
    I use end of year data from the previous year and our district also uses iReady and Aimsweb for data. Sometimes I will do a DRA if I need to check a few students in depth.

5. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 18, 2016

What grade will you be teaching?
    Your curriculum should give you topics to focus on.
    I use end of year data from the previous year and our district also uses iReady and Aimsweb for data. Sometimes I will do a DRA if I need to check a few students in depth.

otterpop and LiteratorJeff like this.
  6. LovetoteachPREK

LovetoteachPREK Companion

Jul 18, 2016

Yikes! What grade are you teaching? I hope there is some sort of curriculum in place for you already. I use the basal series my district uses as a guide. I have read and re-read Jan Richardson's Guided Reading book and also there is the book by Debbie Diller, Making the Most of Small Groups. I hope that helps!

7. Jen Bradshaw

Jen Bradshaw Guest

Jul 24, 2016

First I want to tell you that we have all been where you are. It gets so much easier!!! :):) Look at your data...always the data. Your district will probably require a specific test at the beginning of the year. I look at the test results and then decide what my kiddos need most. I work on a skill until it is mastered, but of course adding in additional skills as I see that are needed during the lesson. You're going to be great! :rolleyes: Jen