Guided Reading Professional Book

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by KinderHereICome, Jun 1, 2015.

1. KinderHereICome

KinderHereICome Rookie

Jun 1, 2015

I'm teaching kindergarten this fall as a first year teacher. I did student teach in kindergarten and I did daily 5 with guided reading, but I'm hoping to do some reading this summer and learn more about guided reading. I'm looking for a professional book that can help me learn more about guided reading, activities to do during guided reading, and that sort of thing. Any ideas?

3. LovetoteachPREK

LovetoteachPREK Companion

Jun 1, 2015

The Next Step in Guided Reading by Jan Richardson. This book is awesome. Her website also has lots of good information and things to print out (lesson plans, etc.) Highly recommend! I teach first and run all my small groups her way.

I also like Making Small Groups Work for You by Debbie Diller. She has a lot of information about comprehension strategies which I tend to overlook sometimes with the younger ones.

I hear anything by Fountas and Pinnell is also good, but I haven't tried them yet.

4. Kteacher11

Kteacher11 Rookie

Jun 7, 2015

I also love Making Small Groups Work by Debbie Diller.. anything by Diller. There's a Words Their Way book specifically geared toward Kindergarten too. Teaching Writing in Kindergarten was useful to me my first year, I think I got it through Scholastic.

As far as websites, I really enjoy Deanna Jump and Kindergarten Works.

Good luck!

5. melnm

melnm Companion

Jun 11, 2015

I don't have any books other than the Daily 5. I'll have to add those suggested to my wish list. I just wanted to add that I have gotten lots of ideas from the Little Minds at Work blog.

6. beckyeduk8er

beckyeduk8er Comrade

Jun 11, 2015

I second the recommendation for The Next Step in Guided Reading by Jan Richardson. This has really changed (for the better) my teaching guided reading. The templates are easy to follow, different based on different levels and have lots of activity to keep the students engaged! I LOVE it!

Our school has done a book study and our district in bringing in a trainer on this book I can't wait to go!

Even if you have experience Daily 5 when student teaching I encourage you read the book (I read it every summer). They do such a good job of explaining how get it up and running smoothly.

7. whollyconsumed

whollyconsumed Companion

Jun 11, 2015

Ok, so I know you are looking for a book, but I read a blog last night called Hello Literacy. The post was about a kindergarten teacher that was trying to get her kindergarten team up to speed on guiding reading and wow the blogger's response was awesome. Might be a helpful website for you too!

8. LovetoteachPREK

LovetoteachPREK Companion

Jun 12, 2015

You will love it! I got to see Jan Richardson at a reading conference last winter and it was amazing! I wanted to write down every last thing she said. I implemented her methods half way through the year instead of doing the small groups like my reading teacher's manual suggested. I feel like I was better able to meet my groups' individual needs where they were at and just felt better about my teaching as a whole.

I also like to read Daily 5 each summer. I have really seen its benefits with my beginning readers!

9. KinderHereICome

KinderHereICome Rookie

Jun 13, 2015

Summer Read

I will definitely have to check it out this summer then. Thank you!!

10. KinderHereICome

KinderHereICome Rookie

Jun 13, 2015

Blog Read

Do you happen to have the link for that specific post on her blog??