Guided Reading Materials

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by jenglish97, Mar 15, 2008.

1. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Mar 15, 2008

Could you please tell me what series you got your Guided Reading Materials from and if you like them. We started doing guided reading this year. We purchased the books from Houghton-Mifflin.

3. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

4. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Mar 17, 2008

We have HM and I don't use the materials in it for GR. I have found my kids are way outside the range they give in their materials. Our school has an amazing resource room that stocks guided reading materials by Rigby PM and National Geographic (at all GR levels), plus Scholastic at the higher levels (2nd grade and up). I've also purchased guided reading book sets on eBay for the occasional chapter book for my students. What grade do you teach? Scholastic makes a Guided Reading 3-6 book that has really nice, short (1 page), reproducible passages for teaching during guided reading. My highest first graders can read them with comprehension and 90% accuracy by this point in the year, if I select carefully.

5. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Mar 17, 2008

We have a bookroom with books from every source available and from several different years. My favorites are the Rigby PM readers. The stories are the most engaging and relevant to students and the levels are the most "true" (all the level 3s are appropriate for a child on a 3 - this is not true for some series!). They have a new set called photos stories that we are looking at to supplement writing as well because they are personal narratives and the sentences reflect what our kids would write in writer's workshop.

6. positiveautism

positiveautism Comrade

Mar 17, 2008

7. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Mar 17, 2008

I use both readinga-z and momentum....

I like both, but Readinga-z has more variety, I find.

8. loveteaching829

loveteaching829 Rookie

Mar 18, 2008

I suggest reading a-z. There are more options for student interest. The series that is sold as guided reading materials is selling a product to differentiate by selling a one size fits all...thats not how it is supposed to work there should be more variety, student choice and leveling options involved. Hope this helps.

9. calalily18

calalily18 Rookie

Mar 18, 2008

my school uses houghton mifflin (actually our entire county does). i personally do not like the guided reading books and to be honest my kids HATE them. there is very little "meat" in these little tiny books and i have to be really crafty to make them useful. sadly, we are forced to use the books and the kids (esp. the high level readers) suffer-- the high group really hates their books...b-o-r-i-n-g!
    we just got the series a couple years ago...so i have a feeling we will be with it for a while..........

10. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Mar 18, 2008

I have to say I LOVE www.readinga-z.com and have been using them for years. I am hoping that my district will subscribe to it. In fact, I print out stories for the children and have them add to their schoebox collection. Each student has a shoebox and we add more stories for them to practice reading them.