Guided Reading Management/Interventions

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by jteach89, Jan 22, 2017.

1. jteach89

jteach89 Companion

Jan 22, 2017

Hello teachers,

I teach 1st grade and I have some questions regarding guided reading. How do you all set up your guided reading and how long is your guided reading time? I know its January but I still can not get a good grip on guided reading. I feel like its chaotic, noisy, and many of the students are off task. I can't really focus on my small group due to the consistent off task behavior. What I have started to do is review the rules again for guided reading. And implement better planning to ensure that students are on task. And sorry to say I have used "worksheets" because it just seemed like the easier option at times.

And also how often do you progress monitor your struggling readers? How often do you meet with them and what interventions have you used? I have a handful of students who may be potential hold-overs. I really need to get a step on pushing my struggling readers but I feel guilty having take instructional time to re-teach routines that should have been in place since October. I'm just curious as to what you all do. At our school, we have a 90 minute reading block which to me is not a lot of time. I really need to make sure I use the time effectively. All or any suggestions would be appreciated!

3. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Jan 22, 2017

Many posters here will say to read the Daily 5 book. Personally, I'm not a fan, but it works for a lot of people. I didn't feel like my kids were growing as much as they could be while doing D5. But it is worth reading the book! If nothing else, you'll learn how to properly model and set up procedures, no matter what your kids are doing while you're with a group. I do like the D5 method of charting stamina for read to self and other activities.

jteach89 likes this.
  4. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Jan 23, 2017

I do use Daily 5. I like it although I only get in two sometimes 3 rounds. I have students stay at their stations for about 15 minutes which is long enough time for me to hold guided reading group.
    Here is a sampling of what my reading block looks like:
    10 minutes story
    12 minutes story response
    5 minutes giving daily five direction
    15 round 1
    5 regather at the carpet to see how daily 5 is going and what everyone is doing
    15 round 2
    5 minutes daily 5 wrap up
    Sometime, guided groups go longer but I have to move along so I hold those students at my table until I can give them wrapped up. If my guided group goes under time, I pull kids for running records or something.

I hope this helps!

jteach89 likes this.
  5. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Jan 24, 2017

I make a goal to meet with my struggling readers everyday. Depending on the number you have, every other day may be more realistic. I mainly use notes of observations, nothing fancy, though I do like to add in formal assessments like running records and timed readings and phonics screeners regularly.

I would also add that January is not uncommon a month for reteaching/overhauling routines and procedures. It's worth it.

otterpop likes this.
  6. jteach89

jteach89 Companion

Jan 28, 2017

Thanks for your input this really helps! Im just curious for your story response since it is 12 minutes do you have them respond to a prompt? What do you have them do? And are they able to do it independently, with assistance or do you model?

For me it I would have them respond to a story I would write the question and model a response. It was taking so long for them just to write the question. But after watching a teacher during her block I like how she gives students a prompt right in front of them( on a paper strip) with the hopes of it being easer for them to write it.
    My students also have a hard time responding to the questions with details from the story. It takes me so long because I would model it for them but even still they seem clueless. :confused: As if they do not know what to write even after I read a story and model a response.

7. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Jan 28, 2017

I use the Deana Jump Guided Reading Units from TpT. I read a book and they usually respond either in their journal or on a worksheet. We always to a retell and we always make a connection. Feel free to email me if you have specific questions.

otterpop likes this.
  8. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Feb 4, 2017

I do Daily 5. Students not in my group are reading to self or with a partner (we do word work together at the same time). My GR is as such:
    3 minutes sight word review
    Introduce new book
    Book talk
    introduce vocab
    Have students read (listen, observe, maybe confer during this time)
    After reading give a teaching point based on common needs observed from reading
    Teach a new sight word from the book