guided reading...how do you plan?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by love2teach, Oct 11, 2005.

1. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Oct 11, 2005

What do you write in your plan book---what do you do?
    I have to meet with all of my groups every day....does anyone meet in guided reading groups this often? I feel like its too much!! In my other school we met once a week, which is not enough...but now...im at a loss for what to do! Any tips suggestions and ways to get organized would be helpful!!

3. meri78

meri78 Rookie

Oct 11, 2005

when i student taught i had to write full blown lesson plans for each group and it was INSANE!! so i definitely feel your pain. :( if your principal is ok w/you keeping a plan book only, i would first list the names of the groups (for example the red group). then under each group's "name" i would list the book(s) for that week along w/a brief summary of the follow-up activities you plan to do (again, group specific). hope this helps!!! :) -meri

4. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Oct 11, 2005

I actually keep a seperate notebook for my guided reading groups. In the plan book I put: see folder for specific lesson plans. I then have a general table on a paper 6 columns x 7 rows for planning. I fill in the days at the top of the paper, and the group names on the side. I then can see what I'm doing all week for each group. If the guided reading books came with a guide, I copy it and put it behind a tab for each group.

5. camcdade

camcdade Comrade

Oct 11, 2005

I made a special form for my guided reading lesson plan book. It lists the title, level, and text focus at the top. Then there are areas for prereading/introduction, during reading activities, and post reading. I only meet with my lowest reading group every day (sometimes 4 days a week) and my other groups once or twice a week.

6. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Oct 12, 2005

I am just now starting to plan for my guided reading groups. I've survived the 16 DRA tests and their analysis and now I'm planning....sigh.

I am lucky- I have 4 groups of 4 based on their testing. I plan to meet with my top 2 groups 2 times a week and my lowest 3 times a week. I am leaving 20 extra minutes in my block (10 before groups and 10 after) so I can take running records and just meet with the strugglers individually.

As for my plan book, I am writing my plans in a separate notebook/binder just for guided reading. I am doing this because I don't have enough room in my regular lesson plan book! Hopefully everything will go nicely when I officially start taking the small groups next week (we are practicing moving from center to center now...I've almost got them trained! :)) Good luck!!

7. RLBteacher

RLBteacher Rookie

Oct 12, 2005

I started my guided reading last week. I haven't gotten to as many groups as I wanted, but that's because they are STILL adjusting to centers and working individually. I'm CONSTANTLY having to remind them to ask 3 people before they come to me. I might start assigning "helper of the day" so they can deal w/ all the questions. To make things more interesting, my principal has decided to observe me for the 1st time tomorrow morning.. during a GR lesson.. yippie. I'm most worried about the other kids at centers and how they will behave. Too much freedom = too much chatting.. even when they have plenty of things to do. :rolleyes:

8. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Oct 12, 2005

Good luck tomorrow, RLB!!!

My friend does this thing where she puts on a crown of some sort and calls herself the queen bee. Whenever the crown is on, the students can't interupt her unless it is an absolute emergency. She said it works for her. :)