GUIDED READING HELP

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by kamisc, Jan 10, 2012.

1. kamisc

kamisc Rookie

Jan 10, 2012

Well I am starting guided reading this week but I have never done this before. Today I had my lowest group and we simply worked on following the text with their fingers, echo Reading, and making some sight words found in book using magnets. It went well but I feel in the dark about my other groups. For some background I have 5 groups with about four students in each group. I just bought a book but I do not know when it will be getting here. Any ideas for lessons would be so much appreciated! Also, what kinds of things do you write down during this time? Ah sorry very stressed and feel like I cannot ask anyone in my school. Please help!

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jan 10, 2012

Take a look at the CAFE menu on http://www.thedailycafe.com/.

This might give you some ideas of different reading strategies to teach to your students.

Depending on the levels of your groups, you might work on reading with fluency, sounding out words, reading with comprehension, etc.

4. kamisc

kamisc Rookie

Jan 10, 2012

Thanks so much I will check it out!! I really appreciate the help. Being a first year teacher I'll take all the help I can get!

5. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jan 10, 2012

Have you leveled your groups yet? What guided reading levels are you working with?

6. kamisc

kamisc Rookie

Jan 10, 2012

Yes I have my readers range from a all the way to j. I have quite a diverse group of students so this is where the fear of now knowing what to really do sets in. Im looking at the website you gave me but I can't seem to find guided group lessons.

7. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jan 10, 2012

Look at the CAFE menus here: http://www.thedailycafe.com/public/department100.cfm

They have menus for emergent readers and transitional readers, which is what your group sounds like. These aren't actually lessons but strategies that you can teach to your students.

8. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jan 10, 2012

9. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jan 10, 2012

10. EdEd

EdEd Aficionado

Jan 10, 2012

I would also have 2 plans - one for the short-term until you have a chance to read the book you ordered and more fully research your longer-term game plan, and then a second, longer-term game plan. In other words, it will probably take you a month or two to do the reading/research/planning to even begin a more thorough approach. So, I'd start with a temporary plan before then, and not stress that it won't be your final one. I think that's what you're asking for, so I think we're on the same page, but I just wanted to add to not stress yourself about getting it right immediately - accept that it's going to take take time, be fine with an intermediary plan, and don't rush your research/planning.

11. HOPE-fulTeacher

HOPE-fulTeacher Comrade

Jan 11, 2012

I was in the same boat in September...I had learned about GR in college, but hadn't ever done it really since I student taught Kindergarten and the curriculum didn't include GR. I agree with other posters that it's a good time for teaching and reinforcing strategies and working on specific areas of need. Keep in mind that each group will probably need reinforcement in different things (for instance, I'm working with inflection and fluency with one group, making connections with another group, and finding sight words with another, etc.)

As far as recording notes go, I put together a conferencing sheet that seems to work well for me. I divided the sheet into 3 or 4 columns, however many are in that group, so that each student is side by side and I use one whole sheet of paper per session. The sheet is on my school computer so I can't attach it now, but I have room at the top for the date, students' names (pre-filled in), book title, and book level. Then, I just adapted another Reader's Workshop conference sheet that I use (where I mark on a scale of 1-3 how student does in strategies, decoding, comprehension, reading to learn new things, and fluency...and whether the book overall was easy, just right, or challenging.) That's in each column so I can fill that out for each individual student. Under that is a space to comment on each students' strengths, things to work on, and some informal running record notes. Finally, I have an area at the very bottom where I just write what we worked on that day and any observations or notes I have about how I want to move forward from there.

Sorry this is so long...hopefully you can kind of picture it and this post was somewhat helpful! I will try to remember to upload the actual form if I think of it while at school tomorrow. One final note, don't be afraid to ask questions!! I am literally in my co-workers rooms several times a day asking questions or making clarifications, and they don't mind at all! They understand what it's like to be new and need some help. Good luck!