guided reading groups

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by justfine, Oct 16, 2008.

1. justfine

justfine Comrade

Oct 16, 2008

I want to name my guided reading groups with something positive. Any ideas? I noticed that a teacher on the grade have High Flyers, Doctors, etc. I have five different groups. Thanks!

3. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Oct 16, 2008

I let my kids pick their own group names. My favorite are the Ninja Monkeys....

4. teach_each1

teach_each1 Comrade

Oct 16, 2008

mine are colors-no rhyme or reason to the order, I just have a 5 drawer colored cart that I put their thing into.

5. MissHunny

MissHunny Comrade

Oct 16, 2008

i use comets, meteors, asteroids, planets.

6. MissHunny

MissHunny Comrade

Oct 16, 2008

BTW i read a solar system story to them so they they knew what thier group names really meant. That got them really excited for thier names.

7. MissH225

MissH225 Comrade

Oct 16, 2008

My cooperating teacher last year for student teaching had diamonds,golds,silvers,rubies and emeralds. I thought it was cute and different :)

8. lcluigs03

lcluigs03 Cohort

Oct 16, 2008

my groups are named from some of the peanuts characters...linus, charlie brown, snoopy and woodstock. my room is decorated with them and the kids know i love them.

LC

9. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Oct 16, 2008

I don't have names for my groups. I just call the kids by name to come to the reading table. Sometimes I combine two groups at similar levels, if we only have a couple books on a topic (like bats, this week, which we had only at 2 levels.) I do this from time to time to be more thematic, but also so the kids aren't as aware what group is which and who is in what group.

I think in the past, the kids picked their own names. They all picked sports teams one year, which was fun.

10. KinderBelle

KinderBelle Rookie

Oct 18, 2008

I teach Kindergarten and the kids really like animals. I have the Elephants, Monkeys, Lions, and Zebras. I have a pocket organizer behind my GR table and each group has a pocket. :) It's working out really well this year.