Guided reading group schedule

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by DrivingPigeon, Jan 25, 2011.

1. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jan 25, 2011

If anyone would be willing to help me out here, I would greatly appreciate it!

I did running records today, and here is how my levels worked out:
    A
    1 child

B
    9 children

E
    3 children

F
    2 children

G
    1 child

J
    1 child

I see 3 groups every day, so I have 15 slots per week. We are supposed to see each group at least 3 times per week (district guidelines), so I need to make 5 groups. Here is what I originally thought:
    B (5 children-move my A to a B group)
    B (5 children)
    E (3 children)
    F/G (3 children)
    J (1 child)

I'm worried about combining my A and B's into 2 groups because that's 5 kids in each group, and they are my neediest students (most easily distracted, biggest behavior problems, they feed off of one-another). If I could split them into 3 groups that would be nice:
    B (3 children)
    B (3 children)
    B (4 children)
    E/F (5 children)
    G/J (2 children)

I don't like the G and J together because that is a wide range. However, my J is complaining to her mom about being alone in a group. I could maybe do H books with that group?

This is driving me nuts! :dizzy: What would you do?

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jan 25, 2011

I would put your G/J together and make this a strategy group. They could each read their own book, but you could work on strategies with them. You could work on cross checking or reread for understanding. Then the students could read their books to each other. This would give your J a friend and hopefully help to boost your G.

4. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jan 25, 2011

That's what I'm thinking, but I didn't really think of doing it as a strategy group. Thanks!

5. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jan 25, 2011

No problem! Good luck!

6. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Jan 26, 2011

Just make sure that you have flexible grouping. Try out the grouping that you like best for a bit... if you don't like it, change it. That's the beauty of flexible grouping... I move kids in and out of groups all the time. Plus, keep in mind some of those kids will progress really quickly, and some will progress slowly. Their levels will probably be totally different in a couple months!

By the way, congrats on having a level J in Kinder! That's awesome.... I still have three students at a D or below, in 2nd grade!

7. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jan 26, 2011

Yeah, I'm always changing kids around. I do running records about every 3 weeks. This was my first time doing them since starting guided reading 4 weeks ago, and they always move so much in the beginning, so I have to completely re-adjust groups. From here on out they usually stay close together, but not always!

8. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Jan 26, 2011

I don't know how well it would work in kinder, or how you even run reading groups with kids that young, but I do a running record on every book we read. Since I do two stories a week with each group, that means I do a running record on two kids in each group every week.