guided reading controversy

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by diro.pams, Aug 12, 2006.

1. diro.pams

diro.pams Companion

Aug 12, 2006

Our district is in second year of Program Improvement. If the district test scores don't turn things around for next yr, the state can impose drastic measures on the entire district. As a result, our board has decided to put all Elementary schools in Reading Lions Program (that's Ok). In addition to this, they decided our teachers MUST follow the state adopted curriculum (near) exclusively. The board members mistakenly think that Guided Reading is a curriculum/program that is separate from the state adoption. So the board has dictated that we cannot use Guided Reading that deviates from the Houghton Mifflin books. In our Primary grades, we have been sending home books for reading with parents on a daily basis. So now, if we live by the board directive, students will be doing LESS reading reinforcement than before!!! I have been looking online at the descriptions of Guided Reading, and have begun to see that our "send home" program could be considered something other than Guided Reading. It might be more of the Shared Reading, and we may be able to continue this if we're careful.
    Does anyone have any input, corrections, or suggestions? :eek:

3. Carla

Carla Companion

Aug 13, 2006

I am in Arkansas and we are also in school improvement. We are in year 4. Our state has contracted with America's Choice in order to better focus our lessons. I can't say that this works as we haven't implemented yet. They are moving away from guided reading also. we are still teaching it, but only two groups a day. (last year I had to teach 6.) We have a high hispanic population and are 97% free/reduced lunch. Good luck.

4. ruralneteach

ruralneteach Rookie

Aug 13, 2006

I just took a Guided Reading class from Dr. Jane Brutsman (University of Wyoming) and shared reading is a huge component of guided reading. According to her, chorale reading and reader's theater is the fastest and most proven way to increase fluency. I'd have to agree. I've used reader's theater for the past two years and it is incredible to watch my first graders who stumble through the script the first time. By the time we perform it for another class, it is as smooth as can be. I wouldn't give up the shared reading.

Besides, what is wrong with going above and beyond the Houghton Mifflin .... utilize it as the board has directed and add in the shared reading. Surely they can't complain about that.

5. Ann2006

Ann2006 Cohort

Aug 13, 2006

We have been instructed not to add to our basal series materials.
    Bummer! That means no outside graphic organizers or strategies!! I have a roomful of stuff I won't be taking to work this year. I'm just not used to only working out of the books.
    Has anyone else been told not to use any outside materials?

6. diro.pams

diro.pams Companion

Aug 13, 2006

Another school in our district joined Reading First and Dataworks. They were directed to live strictly by the adopted curriculum, do EVERYTHING listed for each day, no outside sources, (even trade books?). Guess what? Their test scores went DOWN the first 2 yrs, I think they made some gains this yr. All the teachers in a grade level had to have the same daily schedule, same bulletin boards, etc.