Guided Reading - a question.

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by letsteach, Mar 23, 2016.

1. letsteach

letsteach Comrade

Mar 23, 2016

Do students take home guided reading books with a worksheet?

I have never heard of this in guided reading but teachers at another campus were insistent when talking about guided reading and home reading that students should take home the guided reading book that they've been using and that the point of home reading is to read something familiar, that they CAN read (because they've studied it in class). Guided reading has a teaching focus, I said that if I sent books hime, I would not see the books back and that students need to be able to read unseen texts. Also, I want children to willingly want to read books and not be put off because there is worksheet at the end of it.

3. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Mar 23, 2016

I don't know if it's a necessity, but sure, that sounds like that could be a valid application of guided reading.

4. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Mar 23, 2016

I imagine it's matter of knowing your kids. If they'll read without prompting, that is ideal. If they won't read at home without having an assignment, then better that than not reading at all.

5. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Mar 23, 2016

I've done both, but I didn't send books home when I knew that they were unlikely to make it back. Better to have them choose a different book for at-home reading than risk losing the one you are using in the guided reading group.

6. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Mar 23, 2016

Maybe they're focusing on fluency?

7. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Mar 24, 2016

I am Reading Recovery certified and this sounds like a practice that is highly pushed in RR. When students are introduced to a new book during a RR lesson, the teaching takes place then the child is urged to take the book home the next day after the running record is done. So, yes, we were encouraged to send that new book home because it is familiar to the student. Generally, in guided reading, I like to keep those books in school and have the students revisit the books we read while in class. So as they come to the table for the guided reading lesson, I usually have the familiar books waiting for them on the table. They read familiar books for about 5 minutes before the lesson starts.

8. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Mar 27, 2016

What age would you (or, the RR people) recommend this up to?

9. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Mar 27, 2016

I'm not quite sure if I understand your question but the age really wouldn't matter in this case. It's just a practice that a teacher can elect to employ. I think reading familiar books can be extremely beneficial to the student because it gives them the opportunity to revisit the text to practice fluency as well as deepen the comprehension. The teacher can then push the student to think critically about the text after reading it again. In RR, we introduce the new book on one day, support the reader as he/she reads then keep the book until the next day. On the next day, we give a running record on that same book to analyze the errors and document what strategies that student is using when he/she reads alone. This drives the instruction. That child then takes that book home. You can definitely use this practice in any grade.
    Hope this helps.