Guided Math

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by a&mosmom, Sep 25, 2009.

1. a&mosmom

a&mosmom New Member

Sep 25, 2009

I'm looking to incorporate guided math into my 5th & 6th grade inclusion classes. This seems like a difficult aspiration because our district uses Everyday Math. I think that doing station work will allow me to help my students who are LD but also accelerate those who are more able. Has anyone tried this and willing to share tips, grouping strategies and structure?

3. gottagoodgig

gottagoodgig Companion

Sep 25, 2009

I've taught Everyday Math in small groups and loved it. I had four centers each day. 1. Me teaching the lesson. 2. Para/parent volunteer/student teacher working with Math boxes or a new math game. 3. Hands-on manipulatives or a previously played game and 4. Variety. . math books, Smartboard, something that needed extra reinforcement, etc. I thought it worked really well to differentiate to meet the needs of all my learners. Good luck!

4. gottagoodgig

gottagoodgig Companion

Sep 25, 2009

More info. . .

I rotated the kids through each center each day. So, about 15-20 minutes per center. I had kids in four instructional groups. . basically 1 above grade level, 2 grade level, and 1 below grade level. I had a Title 1 teacher help me assess all my kiddos and decide where to group them. If that doens't work for you. . you could give your kiddos an end of chapter "Checking Progress" page and group them according to how well they do (coupled with your observations.) I kept the groups very flexible and moved kids whenever I felt the need (both for academics and occasionally for behavior). I found some leveled handouts at the teacher supply store to differentiate as well as some other games for the kids to enjoy. Basically, instead of planning 1-4 steps and doing them in a row, I had steps 1-4 going on all at the same time around the room. It's so fun! And, it's much easier to keep kids working and motivated. . rather than having the high kids done is 5 minutes and those that struggle needing more time after MUCH longer. Have fun with it! It can't hurt to try!

5. a&mosmom

a&mosmom New Member

Sep 26, 2009

Thanks so much!! I'm definitely going to try it out. This week my co-teacher and I are going to just do stations on Friday for intervention/enrichment. We're hoping that works out well and then actually try them connected to each lesson.

6. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Sep 26, 2009

I'm trying math groups, and it's working well for now. I do want to tweak a few things, but I'm still getting a feel for it.

I have a parent volunteer staple all the chapter pages into a booklet. My students are working through each chapter booklet at their own pace.

I start each lesson with a 5-10 minute whole group mini lesson. This might be: teaching a new game, reviewing a concept from one of the chapter lessons that I see several students struggling with and want to catch the others before they get there, or teaching a new concept that I want to supplement that's not in this chapter.

Then, I run 2 or 3 groups, depending on the time constraints of the day. One group is working with games or manipulatives to support the mini lesson. The other group works on the chapter pages at their seats, and the third group meets with me. Sometimes I just do the activity group and the seatwork group, and rotate among the seatwork group checking for understanding.

I want to start organizing my groups a little better and differentiating more, but since this is a new curriculum for the kids (and me), and the vocab isn't what they're used to, I don't want to skip around much yet.