Guided Math

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by LovetoteachPREK, Jun 18, 2015.

1. LovetoteachPREK

LovetoteachPREK Companion

Jun 18, 2015

Hi! I am going into my second year teaching first grade. Last year, I implemented Daily 5 for reading and the kids loved it. They were excited about reading and their scores improved dramatically.

We have a very scripted math program that sometimes takes over an hour (or more) to complete and there are two homework sheets every night (Saxon Math.) It is a good program and it shows results, but the kids hate it. (So do I) It claims to be "hands on" but every lesson is very repetitive with completing the worksheets in class and the large amount of time spent on calendar. Some kids can whip through the worksheets and they are bored when I try to get them to do them as a class. Some kids totally get the calendar and groan when we do "What was yesterday? What day of the week was September 2nd?" etc. Others need this support. I'd like to differentiate for all.

I'd like to incorporate some type of guided math while still somewhat adhering to the school's program. I don't really want to do Math Daily 3, but I'd like to have some rotations with small groups and time to play math games or work on problems.

I guess I'm looking to hear what other teachers have done with guided math. Anyone? :help:

3. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jun 18, 2015

I tried something like this for a short time a few years ago when I taught third grade. I used Saxon Math too, at the time. Honestly, I didn't do EVERY part of calendar EVERY day. I did some parts every day, and then I made sure to hit on the other parts at least once per week, if not more frequently. I also didn't necessarily do calendar during the regular math instruction block. I usually completed it during our class meeting time in the morning, whether or not we did math in the morning or later in the day.

As for groups, I would teach the lesson whole-group, and then I would divide the class into 3-4 groups, based mostly on ability. They worked on the classwork part of the assignment with their group. I rotated around the room for the first few minutes to make sure there were no major issues that required pulling the whole group back together, and then I would sit down with a small group to work on the classwork assignment or something else that was more relevant to their individual needs. I set up a schedule for which groups I would work with in a small group each day, just like my guided reading schedule. This meant that I didn't see every group for every classwork assignment, but it was the best I could come up with at the time. I often had a math intervention aide push in, so she would work with the lowest group or two anytime I wasn't working with them. After groups finished the classwork assignment, I had a variety of math center games for them to play. I tried both assigning specific games and allowing them to choose. I preferred letting them choose, although it helped if I provided guidelines, such as "You can play any game with a green circle (meaning on-level), but you may not play anything with a blue triangle (meaning below-level) or orange square (meaning above-level).

I quit that job before I truly refined this routine, and it definitely wasn't the definition of guided math, but I did feel like I was moving in the right direction.

4. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Jun 19, 2015

My math set up-
    Monday- I have a special that half the kids go to at a time, so I teach a skill whole group and then rotate as they work independently
    Tues- centers- math facts, seat work, small group with teacher, hands on (usually a game). About 20 min per rotation
    Wednesday- whole group
    Thurs- same as Tuesday
    Friday- review, catch up, partner work with games, etc

5. mrsleapfrog

mrsleapfrog Companion

Jun 19, 2015

How could you incorporate a menu for them to choose from for guided math?