Guided Literacy in Grade 5

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by kalper07, Aug 8, 2008.

1. kalper07

kalper07 Rookie

Aug 8, 2008

I am a relatively new teacher going into my second year of teaching.

I would like to use guided reading groups, but I'm unsure of what to teach in these groups. I work in a very "traditional" environment, so I am kind of on my own whenever I try to differentiate. My curriculum is quite vague and not much help.

I know the basic structure as I used them in primary grades. I guess I've got the HOW to teach, but need help with the WHAT to teach.

3. matchstickgirl

matchstickgirl Companion

Aug 9, 2008

I was on here the other day and someone posted a great link to see guided reading in action. I have gained a lot of ideas and what kind of things to focus in on.

A lot of what was said is to make sure students are making text-text, text-self, and text-world connections. Also to have them delve deeper in the text and talk about themes, main ideas, predictions about what happens next, insights, and asking questions as their reading.

You might even focus in and do mini lessons with cause/effect, main idea, sequence, setting, characterization, etc.

I'm curious to what your structure will look like? I've been really trying to figure out how to do guided reading in my classroom and how to set it up.

4. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Aug 9, 2008

I have been teaching reading using guided groups-and one website that has been most helpful is Laura Candler's. It takes time to develop independent work, but it is worth it in the long run. Take baby steps if you are feeling overwhelmed. Use the basal to teach your guided lessons with small groups at first, until you can build up a collection of trade books to use. Focus on what matchstickgirl said-text to text, text to self and text to world. I also focus on one skill each week or two-like story elements, cause and effect and so on.
    Do you have any tool to use to level your students, like DRA? If not, Fountas and Pinnell's Guided Reading and Writing for 3-6 is a great resource. I choose a book from each level (N-Z) for assessing where they are reading. I typed out a passage consisting of 100 words, and had them read out loud to me, while I kept tabs on how many errors they had, and how long it took them. I was able to get a clearer picture of where they were independently reading, and where they are reading with help. I made my small groups according to their levels.
    No matter how you do it, you will be very happy that you did! Small group is so much more effective than whole group, in my eyes. And the kids love the one on one attention they receive when I meet with them!

5. kalper07

kalper07 Rookie

Aug 10, 2008

I've ordered Fountas and Pinnell's book, as well as some others. the videos were great too. Now I wonder, where do you fit in whole class lit instruction and grammar instruction?

6. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Aug 10, 2008

I don't do a whole group lit instruction. Our district does do Making Meaning-which is whole group and focuses on talking about text and making connections. I do a grammar/writing instruction whole group-usually a 20 minute lesson during my literacy block. The kids do reinforcement during independent center time. Our district has just purchased the sister component to Making Meaning called Becoming Writers, which incorporates some grammar as well as the writing workshop.
    If you want to PM me with any questions, I will be happy to answer them!:)

7. 5thgraderocks

5thgraderocks Companion

Aug 22, 2008

We use a program called "Into the Book" in Wisconsin. It's interactive and the kids really seemed to like it in April and May (when I used it). I don't have the CD with the songs but might order it if this year's class is excited about the site.

8. 5thgraderocks

5thgraderocks Companion

Aug 23, 2008