Guaranteed Read-Aloud?

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by cwp873, Jun 22, 2009.

1. cwp873

cwp873 Comrade

Jun 22, 2009

I am moving down to fifth and would like a laugh-out-loud, everyone will love it read-aloud for the first week of school. Any ideas?

3. 100%Canadian

100%Canadian Companion

Jun 22, 2009

Why Did the Underwear Cross the Road, by Gordon Korman. Short read too.

4. TeacherMJ

TeacherMJ Comrade

Jun 22, 2009

Great idea! Anyone else?

5. LS31582

LS31582 Rookie

Jun 22, 2009

My students always seem to like any of the Hank Zipzer books. They are all easy, fun read alouds.

6. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Jun 23, 2009

My Teacher is an Alien
    Frindle
    Sideways Stories from Wayside School

7. blondie77

blondie77 Rookie

Jun 23, 2009

Did you real this book to them or did they each have their own copy? I know "read aloud" usually means teacher led, but I am unsure about this at 5th grade. Also do 5th graders still do book reports?

8. cwp873

cwp873 Comrade

Jun 23, 2009

Thanks for all the ideas...keep 'em coming!
    Right now I'm just looking for something to read aloud the first week TO the kids. However, then I will do lots of guided reading (where they have books), book clubs etc. For their writing portfolio they need a "response to literature" - which will be a book report of sorts.

9. 100%Canadian

100%Canadian Companion

Jun 23, 2009

I had the only copy and although it centres around a group of grade four kids, grade fives in September are only just out of grade four. It's about a group of kids trying to earn good deed points for a school contest but every attempt is met with trouble. The mischievous kid is also on the hunt for some local car thieves. It really have little to do with underwear (the title is in reference to their first good deed that backfires). I read it to my fives this year and they loved it. The chapters are short and the storyline is easy to follow without having a copy of the book to read from. You could probably do it in one week, it's that quick.

As for book reports, I guess it depends on your definition of a book report. I do formative and summative activities with my kids while they do independent reading, which some might consider book report in nature.

10. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 23, 2009

I always read aloud to 5th graders - at least 20 minutes a day. Yes, they still write book reports. And they do much more writing about books, too, particularly in literature circles and in their reader response journals.

11. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Jun 26, 2009

I always start the year with The House with the Clock in Its Walls. It's an oldy but a goody. It's a bit longer, but it's a great mystery, and when it's over, the students aren't real sure what happened, so it leads to some great discussion. As an added bonus, I get to see which students are better at reasoning than others. I use that info as part of my criteria when I level them for guided reading.

12. noreenk

noreenk Cohort

Jun 28, 2009

I've started out the year with Lemony Snicket's The Austere Academy (about a boarding school with a crazy faculty and even crazier rules) and Frindle... both are great lead-ins for the year. This year I think we're going to try doing Coraline to mix things up. I love doing book reports... there are lots of great ideas in this forum.

13. teach2boyz

teach2boyz Rookie

Jul 3, 2009

I read The Worst School Year Ever by Barbara Robinson.

I then assign a year long project (as in the book) where the students are assigned a student and they have to give them "compliments."

This year it wasn't as successful as I would have liked. I planned to have students do the compliments on the last day of school before graduation. However, due to the fact that awards were not fnished (not my doing); I was filling out awards. :mad::mad::mad::mad:

I will probably be in 5th grade again (I have an interview later this week); and will do it differently. We will focus on character traits and have a list--builds voc. for writing, too.

14. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Jul 4, 2009

Another great book I like to read aloud is Punished. Can't remember the author, but it's a really fun book to read; it has different kinds of tasks for the boy in the story to complete to break the curse that's been put on him. He has to find oxymorons, hyperboles, etc! Very cute and a great teaching tool without being obvious about it.

15. nsenyo

nsenyo New Member

Jul 25, 2009

YES Punished is great! I stumbled upon that gem right at the time we were studying figurative language. Isn't it great when that works out?

I started my past two years off with Help! I'm Trapped in the First Day of School! YOu need to read it first, though, as I felt I needed to "edit" a few parts of it as I went along. The students LOVE it though. It is a great first few weeks of school read aloud.

16. ajquiett

ajquiett Rookie

Jul 29, 2009

No Talking By Andrew Clements is a book about 5th grade boys and girls

17. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 29, 2009

I have The Austere Academy in my classroom library and haven't read it! Now you've gotten me interested in reading it. :cool: As for suggestions for you, anything by Andrew Clements is spectacular. Frindle may be a little young for a read-aloud for the beginning of fifth grade, though. No Talking was a great book for last year, but I am going for a different book for the beginning of this year.

18. cwp873

cwp873 Comrade

Jul 29, 2009

Thanks for all the suggestions!

19. noreenk

noreenk Cohort

Jul 31, 2009

Lemony Snicket is amazing for character analysis, plot development and VOCABULARY... tons of metaphors, too. I agree, Frindle is a bit easy for a read-aloud... we coasted through it in less than two weeks, but I was able to do it in English and Spanish *quickly*... It's so hard to find Spanish translations of engaging intermediate novels that aren't ridiculously difficult!

20. kalper07

kalper07 Rookie

Aug 6, 2009

I see lots of suggestions for No Talking...caution...my kids wanted to try it!