GT Student?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Roobunny, Aug 14, 2012.

1. Roobunny

Roobunny Comrade

Aug 14, 2012

I'm a first year teacher and got an email from a parent of a G/T child. She wants to know my plans for differentiation. I honestly don't know what to tell her. I don't know her child or what level he's at...should I just tell her I can assign him more hands-on projects? What kinds of modifications should I be making in my lessons?

Not sure if this needs to be brought up, but I don't have a G/T certification...

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 14, 2012

You don't need GT certification...email the parent back and reassure her that your goal is to meet ALL students' needs. You will be spending the first weeks getting to know each student's strengths, assessing them, and planning ways to meet their needs. Tell her you will confer with last years teacher and the GT teacher (if there is one) to see what kinds of strategies worked for her child. There's really no need to go into specific details right now with her...you haven't even met the kid yet,:cool:

Heart..GT is gifted talented...

4. Roobunny

Roobunny Comrade

Aug 14, 2012

Thanks czacza! :)

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 14, 2012

:hugs:

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 14, 2012

HeartDrama, you'd know "G/T" as "GATE".

7. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Aug 14, 2012

I agree with czacza. Usually parents just want to know that you will be challenging their child in your class.

I had a parent schedule a conference the 1st week of school for that purpose last year. I just went over some of what the GT curriculum entails and that allayed their concerns. That may be something to offer them as well (after a few weeks to allow time to assess of course).

8. trulyunic

trulyunic Rookie

Aug 14, 2012

That was good advice cza...

9. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Aug 15, 2012

Follow cza cza's advice and stay generic in your answer. I'm not sure how your school handles things but I haven't seen much testing before 2nd grade here. This may be a parent's assessment of her child being gifted, not from testing. Hang in there!

10. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Aug 15, 2012

I don't know if it's regional or not-but we test kids at 4 years old so they are identified when they enter Kindergarten.

11. Roobunny

Roobunny Comrade

Aug 15, 2012

I emailed her back and stayed pretty generic and she seemed satisfied with the response. I'll meet with her tomorrow during our school's orientation.

What kinds of modifications do you make in your lessons and assignments with a child who is classified as G/T?

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 15, 2012

Even GT students have areas to work on...you'll haveto assess to see what those are...

13. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Aug 15, 2012

You're on the right track with projects or independent study based on something they are interested in. Anything that emphasizes critical thinking or going more deeply into a topic. Making sure that you are giving different work as opposed to just more work.

It will all depend on if the student is really advanced academically, and in what subjects-if the whole group lesson I'm teaching is about something they have already mastered, then they can work on another assignment. Same goes for spelling words-if they score 100% on the pre-test then they get to choose their own word list to study (they usually challenge themselves pretty well).

14. Roobunny

Roobunny Comrade

Aug 15, 2012

Kinder - I like the idea of having them choose their own spelling words...thanks!

15. holliday

holliday Comrade

Aug 15, 2012

I'd recommend you check out the NAGC website - it is FULL of explanations, articles, and ideas on how to teach gifted students. I'm a full time gifted teacher (6th grade English), and things are a bit different here since gifted is a part of special ed, but that website is incredibly helpful.

Good luck!