GT certification question

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by RobertTexasMath, Mar 29, 2013.

1. RobertTexasMath

RobertTexasMath Rookie

Mar 29, 2013

In Texas all teachers are required to have GT professional development hours. How will a GT certification effect marketability. I currently teach high school math. I don't think it would be much of a factor but I am targeting middle schools. I believe elementary schools are required to have a certain number of GT certified teacher but what about middle schools (grades 6-8)

3. mommy2boys

mommy2boys Rookie

Mar 29, 2013

I am a first year teacher in Texas and I do not have a GT certification. My district is requiring 30 hours of GT training to be completed before the next school year and 6 hours each additional year. If I were to be certified, I would not have to do the 30 core hours, but would still need the 6 hours each year. It is up to you. In my opinion, I would rather do the 30 hours than pay $120 for the test and $70 to add it to my certification.

4. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Mar 29, 2013

My district requires all teaching staff, including the teacher who watches the in school suspension to special Ed teachers to coaches who only coach, to have their GT hours.

It probably wouldn't keep you from getting hired as long as you say yes if asked if you are willing to attend the five day training in the summer.